• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

88GMCtruck's NV4500 Swap

88gmctruck

02GMCtruck
Reaction score
Well, the time has come.

As I have collected the parts and done a little bit of work, I figured I'd start to document my progress in swapping my 700R4 out for a NV4500.

What $400 and 3 hours of time got me.

P1080717.jpg

P1080712.jpg

P1080709.jpg

P1080716.jpg

And all the other stuff that makes the conversion work
P1080711.jpg

P1080713.jpg

P1080715.jpg

After doing a little more research and figuring out what parts I need, I ordered a bunch of other stuff.

Jegs Flywheel (the original was a big block flywheel)
P1080882.jpg

Hays Super truck Clutch
P1080869.jpg

P1080870.jpg

Clutch Fork Ball Stud (left old - right new)
P1080855.jpg

Flywheel key and Clutch fork bushing
P1080884.jpg

New input shaft pilot bearing and thrust bearing
P1080858.jpg

Flywheel dust sheild
P1080871.jpg

Trans-transfercase gasket.
P1080872.jpg

Clutch Pedal Bracket
P1080874.jpg

Cruise control kill switch
P1080878.jpg

Clutch pedal spring
P1080867.jpg

New shift tower boot
P1080877.jpg

And 4 quarts of Amsoil MTG GL-4 fluid (courtesy of Devin (83GMCK2500)).
P1080879.jpg

So I started by checking everything out. The NV4500 is a relatively simple transmission, and is a top-loader style. – this means we can pull the top off and take a peek inside.
P1080846.jpg

P1080848.jpg

P1080849.jpg

Everything looks pretty good inside so far. The only real thing I noticed is the input shaft has a little play in it (which is why I replaced the pilot and thrust bearings for it).
P1080850.jpg

P1080851.jpg

My NV4500 had a magnet in the bottom center of the case, held in by a little clip. I of course pulled it out to find the normal grey sludge they collect. I also cleaned everything inside and out.
P1080852.jpg

P1080853.jpg
P1080861.jpg

P1080862.jpg

Also got the bellhousing and clutch fork all cleaned up
P1080868.jpg

Now I have a transmission temp gauge in my truck already wired to the 700R4. While the NV4500 has no provision for a temperature sender (without buying aftermarket PTO coolers) I wanted to keep it. Upon researching the transmission, I had found that early versions had a drain plug located below the fill plug. I’m only hypothesizing here, but I think it was left out because the lower PTO bolts make an excellent drain by themselves, however the locating in the case still has a thicker walled area where the plug used to be.

So a little help from my friend BV
P1080888.jpg

and Brandon (07HDclassic) away with the drill and tap I went.
P1080860.jpg

P1080881.jpg

P1080880.jpg

Putting things back together with some ultragrey.
P1080866.jpg

Next up is a coat of paint on the castiron portion of the case, which will be happening this weekend. Then the truck is getting loaded up and I’m heading home, installing everything next week.

Last edited:
I do not know if this is too late but, in my dodge 5600(?)6 speed, I put a temp sender in it. It went on the drivers side inspection cover lower center. I drilled and tapped a hole and it worked great.

I plan on doing the same to my current truck.

I have burned a manual transmission out from lack of fluid. After it brought me to a screeching halt I looked at it underneath and it was glowing red in a couple of spots. If I would have had a gauge I would have prevented the burn out.

Nice write up! :thumbsup:

Did you rebuild the trans or just peek inside?

I drilled and tapped mine for a temp sensor; I have the sensor, it's just currently in my 700R4 in the truck. Right now I put the plug in it to keep crud out. I thought about drilling and tapping the PTO cover, but it's pretty thin and I wanted something with a little more meat (the thicker portion i drilled and tapped was about 3/4" thick).

I also am not rebuilding the transmission. Everything is nice and tight, it shifts well, etc and gears have a great wear pattern. It only has 128,000 miles.

Dave nice job so far. Looks like you got everything in order. It should be fairly smooth sailing. The pic of the clutch pedal bracket is the little bugger we were discussing before. Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks. Surprisingly the clutch bracket has it's own part number so I was able to order it from the dealership, it was like $25. When it gets welded in I'm actually just going to pull the whole dash out, it'll make the wiring and pedal install much easier.

It more common on the dodges but it is an issue with all NV4500. Trans parts wharehouse has the upgraded nut. Forgot bout this earlier. Good idea to pop in a new nut while its out. No big deal at all.

Well, a quick update. :hurray:

I got the cast portion of the trans painted up black, and spent some more time with the wire wheel and cleaned up the outside of the bellhousing. I also attached the clutch fork to the new ballstud and threw the flywheel dust shield on for ease of transport.

P1080889.jpg

P1080890.jpg

P1080891.jpg

I also ordered a DEI 689M remote start module for manual transmissions. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WB4NN2/?tag=jhuntlink-20 Basically how it works is when exiting the truck, you remote start it while running, set the parking brake and then lock the doors on the outside. The truck turns off (in neutral obviously) and will be able to remote start unless the sequence is broke (I.E. door opening). I just couldn't give up remote start, since i've had it for over 6 years now.

And now that I Got all the stuff out of my garage and into the pickup, I'll be heading to the parents place tomorrow to start the project, so check back for updates! The yellow truck is going away in storage. Just for the record, a FSC fits through a 7' wide garage door, but just barely. I've never been so damn nervous about parking something.... but it fits. :D
P1080892.jpg

P1080893.jpg

P1080894.jpg

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Well, here is another update. Last night I pulled the drivelines, T-case and crossmembers, then this morning finished pulling the transmission. While I was doing that Dad took and swapped the input shafts between the t-cases and got them back together.

Last of the 700R4 under the truck
P1080896.jpg

NP241 guts
P1080895.jpg

P1080897.jpg

NV4500 vs. 700R4. Finally with both out of the truck I could measure and verify the lengths of each. The NV4500 is 1/8" longer than my 700R4.
P1080899.jpg

P1080898.jpg

With all that out of the way, I got started on the interior. Drilled the holes for the clutch master cylinder. The large center bore is a 1 3/8" diameter (coincedently the same size as my cab light holes).
P1080900.jpg

Then lots of interior comes out. I cleared a few spots off of the sheetmetal to weld the clutch pedal support in, then bolted the clutch pedal in.
P1080901.jpg

P1080904.jpg

P1080907.jpg

While I was doing this, Dad put the flywheel and clutch together under the truck.
P1080908-1.jpg

A quick poser shot of the NV4500/NP241 combo. Lots of New Venture parts here.
P1080905.jpg

So, all that is left now is to wire up the clutch pedal misc and put the interior back together, cut a hole in the floor and put the trans in the truck. Should be tearing through the gears by tomorrow. :D

Another quick update. Finally got done screwing around with the clutch bracket. I think I had that thing in and out of there 4-5 times now, figuring out what side the wires go on and such. What a PITA. Then I got the hydraulic line routed and bolted the clutch pedal assembly in.
P1080910.jpg

Then I was off to wiring mania for about the last 5 hours. I had to wire up the clutch cruise control kill, clutch pedal safety start switch, and the backup light switch. I also cleaned up a few other connections while the dash was down. This recent find on ebay was about the most invaluable thing in this entire swap; I don't know how i lived with out it.
P1080887.jpg

The wiring itself wasn't horrible and didn't take too long; making sure all the wiring was out of the way of the pedal did. Once that was done I also swapped the brake pedal, and put the dash up. Now I have me some pedals.

P1080911.jpg

P1080912.jpg

Tomorrow the floor is getting cut, then the interior can be put back together. The only wiring left now is to hook up the reverse lights plug and my trans temp sensor, but that will happen when the trans is in the truck so I know how long to make them.

Lookin' good. How was your brake pedal to unbolt?

Much easier this time. Oh yeah, the curvature of the pedals are the same between auto and manual; the only difference is one is shorter on that side.... So I could have just as easily cut mine if I didn't have the pedal.

For those who haven't heard, the nut side is welded to the dash support. When your under the truck you can't see it as well, but the welded nut side is actually visible and looks like the obvious one to remove. I couldn't break it loose, so Devin tried and actually broke the welds on the nut. :eek

---------------------------

Well, it's in. Now it's time for Turkey dinner. Still have a few things left to do, update later.

Back