• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

88GMCtruck's NV4500 Swap

Well, here is the update from today. We got the trans shift linkage all worked up. For those who have asked how my linkage is, here is the best picture ever: outside of the truck. Basically all that is done is to move the arm over via a longer pivot point. It has a stepped portion to clear the trans as well. Obviously the pass side has to be supported of the trans.
P1080916.jpg

P1080917.jpg

I got the floor cut for the shifter, as well as an additional hole to make the install MUCH easier. When we too the trans from the parts rig the shift tower was so tall that we kept getting hung up on the trans tunnel, and ended up just pulling the sheetmetal back. I decided then I'd make another hole and build a screw on cover for it, that way the trans can slide right in.
P1080915.jpg

P1080914.jpg

Then we got the trans on a chunk of wood and strapped it to the floor jack. Don't want 200lbs of cast iron falling on you.
P1080918.jpg

After it's in. :thumbsup:
P1080921.jpg

P1080922.jpg

While dad put the drivelines and stuff back, I worked on the interior side of things. Once the trans was in place I located the shifter trim ring, drilled the holes and bolted it together. After everything fit, I put the carpet back and started the re-assembly of everything else: Trim, Dash, I/P, seat, etc.
P1080919.jpg

P1080920.jpg

P1080923.jpg

This is what the interior now looks like with two sticks :D Notice the new (and much more awkward and annoying) location of the cupholders.
P1080925.jpg

P1080928.jpg

Then, the test drive. First problem I encountered was the speedo/cruise not working and my brake warning light was stuck on. After about and hour of thinking, switching the speed sensor, etc, I realized the RWAL (rear wheel antilock) and speedo share a fuse. While I was wrestling the wiring around I must have dislodged it...... :mad2: But yeah, whats a project without a challenge. So after that, on to screwing around in it. Oh it's fun. Way too fun. Trans shifts great, syncros work flawlessly, etc. 1st gear is a beast, particularly in low range. I can't want to go play offroad. I also got it up to freeway speeds, also worked great. It's definatly noticable there is a manual down there, but only if your actually paying attention to it. After driving around for about 45mins the trans was up around 140 degrees if anyone was wondering.

All in all, everything works great, and the swap went very smoothly (no trips to the part store, nothing broken, etc). I'll be driving it around some more tomorrow, can't wait. As of now, the only thing left to give away this truck was originally an automatic is the steering column, but that will be changed eventually.

It's funny cause I'm only using 3 of them now, I installed those years ago thinking one day i might need them.

As of now, from left to right: fog lights, spotlights, blank, backuplights, blank, blank, blank, blank

Looks great Dave glad all went rather smoothly for you. I have to ask you the same thing everyone asks me when I tell them I swaped out the auto for a manual............................Would u do it again???????

I would and I am.....

And its fun to drive too... I got to test it out today when I got back to Pullman :D

Yup, it's quite fun, can't wait to take it out playing.

Well, it made it across the state, no problems. Got about the same fuel mileage. Trans ran 150 degrees the entire time, which is good. There is a little gear noise at highway speeds, but i've heard that the non-OEM gear lube may do that. I also had to shim my starter out a little more to quiet it up; there is apparently a different starter for the manual trans, although mine seems to work just fine now.

Wow that was quick. I thought i got the SM465 swap done fast. Must be nice to have overdrive, i wouldn't know. ):h

Glad it went so smoothly for you and it looks awesome! :D

Really helps when you get all the parts first doesn't it? That's more or less how my swap went as well.

Yeah, it was a quick swap but Dad and I tend to get on a project and get it done (case in point my SAS was 3 weeks start to finish). Overdrive is nice, but I already had it with the 700R4. And yes, having all the parts at the beginning really saves headaches down the road.

Thanks! I've really enjoyed the swap and driving the truck is a blast now. I'm still disappointed that GM doesn't offer a manual anymore.

Yeah, but it's probably the 4 cylinder model or 2wd only or some BS. I wish GM did things like dodge and offered their trucks fully loaded with manual transmissions and transfercases. Ah how I miss the GMT400 bodystyle trucks - when you could grab a 1-ton truck, with a big motor, manual, and leather seats.

yeah, I am looking at a 95 GMC C2500HD ECLB 6.5L 5spd 2wd, but she has keyless entry (still trying to find out if it is OEM or aftermarket, but i do believe 95 was the first year of OEM) she also has PW/PDL, and I do believe Power Seats.

Yes, 95 was the first year of keyless entry, however it's not a very common option. Plus IMO the factory remotes suck.

I do enjoy the range of the keyless entry & factory remote start on my dad's GMT900. Still doesn't beat the 1/2mile range of my aftermarket remote start. Once, straight line shot down a canyon I started the truck 2.5 miles away.

Well, just a little update on the trans. Last week I bought one of the last pieces, the sound isolator for the shift boot. They PN for the 92-94 style trans was no longer available so I grabbed the 95+ style and cut some of it to fit my shift tower. Basically it's a 1/2" thick foam block that goes under the shift boot. It made a huge difference in the sound comming from the trans area (I could hear road noise and gears quite noticably, which isn't surprising since the shift boot isn't very thick).

The trans has been working perfectly, and now has over 2,000 miles on it and has been across the state 4 times. Running it at highway speeds yields a consistant temp of 150 degrees. I'm also happy with my clutch choice, as it works very well and is actually quite easy to drive.

Next week I'll be taking the truck out wheelin with a few friends, so it'll be the first trip out with the manual and I'm very excited to test out the very low gearing I now have!

Back