• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

88GMCtruck's never ending 88 GMC build thread

Sounds like my 03 6.0L 4x4. I didnt have it that long but those are the loaded mpgs i got, stomped to the floor with 4.56's and 33's w/ efi live. Got it with 38K on it in Highschool and used it on the farm. Had the 40 ft floater loaded with small squares of hay grossing 42K (guy bought the whole field and wanted it delivered), headed south into a good 30mph head wind with 40-50mph gusts the truck hit 50 mph on down hills and 30-40mph the rest of the time (not mountain passes). Got 2.5 mpg AVERAGE including the unloaded trip home WITH the wind. I only got 11 unloaded highway.

I down sized for college and the truck was totaled with ~130K on it 2 yrs ago by a hired hand. I bought it with Keys, ad aleafs and the gears w/ diablo tuner. I installed EFI Live at some hole in the wall shop and Firestone Air bags in there somewhere too. Had a custom exhaust too. Almost wished i still had the truck, I couldnt blow it up!

This was nearing the end of Ol' Blues days on the road or it would have made the trip. Normal loads for our trucks honestly. I was raised doing things that way and have hauled those kind of loads since i was 14.

Finally getting the truck's tune dialed in. It's really running great.

Few weeks ago made another trip down to the dunes. Managed to fit 2 quads in this time with the toolbox in the bed.

2012-09-12_17-57-48_400.jpg

2012-09-12_17-58-10_796.jpg

Managed 9.2 MPG towing this setup doing 70-75 MPH. Was a great trip.

Going to be some slow progress for awhile, working on saving for a house and going to try making it out camping this fall/winter some more.

Took another trip camping awhile back, was out in the snow/rain so I threw the canopy on the ol' girl. Haven't seen that in awhile.

P1120413.jpg

P1120412.jpg

P1120411.jpg

P1120422.jpg

P1120429.jpg

Other than that, not much to report. Truck's running well. Detroit locker is a chore in the wet winter weather. I recently was having speedometer and RWAL issues, my speedometer sensor was bad (go figure) and messing with both systems.

Very soon I'll be looking at tires. These ones are about at the end of their useable life for me, they aren't going to do very well in snow or mud this year...

It's tolerable. Better than last year after I re-did the interior with more insulation. The windows still suck the heat right out though. Single pane jalousie windows with aluminum frames.... yeah.

I would like to make some thick canvas covers that snap in place of the windows. Might help some.

Eh, in the winter it doesn't matter much. My windows have 5% tint on them so the lights are always on in the day anyway.

Had to lock the hubs in this weekend. Decided to find some snow over the weekend. Didn't get much but it rained previously, so it was a bit slick to drive around on, and the roads on the way home were snow/slush mix. Freeway speeds in that crap with the trailer is fun :p

Untitled_Panorama1-1.jpg

P1120504.jpg

P1120513.jpg

P1120514.jpg

Looks Great David! I can't wait to get snow here, it was 52* today. Talk about schizophrenic weather...

I'd take it! Got a couple Mountain Cats hiding in the shed that didn't get any action last year, and their prospects aren't looking good this year...

88 got a christmas present this year. Weathertech floor mats. I've had them in my 02 for quite some time, yet they have never listed them for a GMT400 truck. I more recently found out they list them for 92-99 suburbans... So figuring the floorpan is the same I ended up with a set. They are to replace the husky liners I had before.

IMAG0127.jpg

IMAG0129.jpg

IMAG0132.jpg

IMAG0133.jpg

Thanks Mike. They are so much better. The Husky liners I had worked ok but they are thin and slid around the floor a bit.

I just wish Weathertech made center liners for my trucks. I have husky center liners in both now, hence the differing pattern.

Weathertech has a factory nearby here in my area and a factory outlet store so I keep threatening to replace the Huskys that are in their 7th winter now.
When you think about it... That, in itself, is a pretty good endorsement for the Huskys.

Any throttle pedal issues with the WTs?

Nope, no issues with the throttle. Didn't have any issues with the husky liners either. I had those since late 05 actually, so they are about 7 years old as well. My complaint is they don't have nubs on the back (then again, the weathertechs don't either) but they are softer and were easily pushed around when getting in the truck. That and the edges by the door were getting all warped. The weathertechs are flat in that area, and from experience they kinda drain out if your door is open and you get that much liquid on them.

Put GMT400 caps on my wheels. Not sure what I think yet...

Before
P1120237.jpg

Now
IMAG0241.jpg

Fronts need a hole made for the hub still

Back