• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

88GMCtruck's never ending 88 GMC build thread

Well, here is the latest on the truck's front.

Bought new hitch, it's a drawtite 16k forged 6" drop.
2012-07-09_17-05-03_339.jpg

Fixed a bunch of small things that I've put off, and gave the truck a full wash, wax, vac and upholstery cleaning. First time since around November! Not bad for 24 years.
2012-07-10_00-31-43_302.jpg

I then got the quads in the truck, trailer loaded and everything hooked together.
2012-07-11_05-51-39_918.jpg

2012-07-11_05-52-14_82.jpg

2012-07-11_05-51-59_962.jpg

2012-07-11_18-34-54_849.jpg

2012-07-11_18-35-11_619.jpg

Truck ran great. It pulls, so much torque. I had no problem keeping speed everywhere.... At least for the first two hours. At some point it started hesitating, coughing and would give me no power.... So I pulled over and swapped back to the last chip. It ran fine a few more miles then again did was running poorly. Pulled off, multimetered a few sensors, checked connections etc, and hooked the laptop up. Ran fine a few miles, then again it started acting up. So, over on the side of the road again. After a bit of a cooldown period (for me) the data was looked at and it looked as if the oxygen sensor (which was new) was reading high voltage, above the norm which indicated it was likely failing, and making the truck think it was running rich, thus cutting fuel. being it was now about 11PM, I was in the middle of BFE and had 4+ hours of driving left, I unplugged the sensor and ran with the base fuel map and the SES light on. Truck ran without major issue after, unfortunately netting me about 5.5MPG...... But I made it. Next morning a stop at Napa and a new sensor was installed and it ran great after.

Here is the sand camp. All my toys in one spot!
2012-07-14_19-30-45_205.jpg

Next to my buddy's 89 K5
2012-07-14_19-31-00_859.jpg

Few shots out in the sand. This thing hauls out there. 454 sounds nice revved up around 5-6k.
P1120268.jpg

P1120271.jpg

P1120272.jpg

Packed up, heading home. Running properly, I netted about 8.1MPG doing about 70MPH most of the way.
P1120273.jpg

P1120274.jpg

Sorry i couldn't resist, all the big blocks we have owned 7.4 or 8.1 have gotten nearly the same mpg towing as highway but those were all crew cab dually 4x4's. Your trucks cool as hell though.

FINALLY got photobucket to cooperate, here is 2 short clips from the sand. These are low range, 4wd runs. Used 3rd and 4th.

Your truck is cool David, I have a 89 Big block Long bed in the yard, makes me want to get it rolling....Needs wiring tho, it's like spaghetti under the dash.

Hey, where is the brake light switch on that truck, any idea........Brake lights are FULL ON

Your truck is cool David, I have a 89 Big block Long bed in the yard, makes me want to get it rolling....Needs wiring tho, it's like spaghetti under the dash.

Hey, where is the brake light switch on that truck, any idea........Brake lights are FULL ON
Sorry I didn't catch this sooner. The switch on my 88 is a white box thing clipped to the pedal & dash support, IIRC.

------------------

Haven't done much with the truck since the trip, except take another trip up to the mountains. If you aren't following my trailer build thread, it's where i'll post the pictures of camping. http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/sh...tion-Project-88GMCtruck-is-at-it-again/page17

I am going to be looking at installing my 34-gallon Longbed tank in the near future. It's going to take a we bit of modification to get it to fit...

Negative....Not there
Hum.... There is something attached to my pedal, i'll have to take a look next time I'm under there.

Just catching up on this now. Great work with the 454!! Looks great, and should last you a long time.
That is the plan, I don't drive it much so it might last the rest of it's life.... well until i change it up more.

Any MPG numbers you wanna report? Or is this the reason for the bigger tank lol
8 towing, unloaded 11 city 13 highway. Not far from what I was at before. Bigger tank would be mostly for the convenience of not having to stop every 180 miles while towing...

Hum.... There is something attached to my pedal, i'll have to take a look next time I'm under there.

That is the plan, I don't drive it much so it might last the rest of it's life.... well until i change it up more.

8 towing, unloaded 11 city 13 highway. Not far from what I was at before. Bigger tank would be mostly for the convenience of not having to stop every 180 miles while towing...

I could live with those numbers.

Those MPG numbers have to be due to the truck being so small. That monster doesnt have to work hard to move the truck lol.

While small, it's not exactly light.

I was getting 8 towing, and 12 city 14 highway with the 350, which admittedly was working a heck of a lot harder.

I bet after more tuning and me keeping my foot out of it I can bump the numbers up with the 454 some more. Particularly when not towing.

Try this on for mpg size :D

Dad's truck was a 1984 K30 Crew Cab 4x4, 4:10 gearing, 205 transfer case, 3 speed auto.....with a 350 under the hood :eek: . I still remember he got it for such a steal off the dealership because no one would buy it because it didn't have the 454. It listed at $21,000 and he got it for around $13,000 IIRC. It sat on the lot for almost a whole year. Just about every weekend in the summer we would have the cabover camper loaded with the 4 place horse trailer in tow with 5 horses in it. Yes, 5. Total weight was around 17,000 lbs. Trailer was factory ordered extra long and we had arabians so we could squeeze 3 in the back half. We could "maintain" 55mph on the flats, but the passes were 20mph and first gear the whole way. I think we were lucky to see 2mpg, but of course gas was .80c/gallon then so it wasn't the end of the world. I remember one hunting trip we drove from Idaho Falls to Twin Falls area (150 miles-ish) doing 40 mph in second gear because we had a headwind keeping us from going any faster. That truck might have been gutless, but the engine/tranny NEVER broke down. The only major issue was the transfer case (shocking actually for that model). It self destructed as he was pulling out of a gas station back in 2005.

Back