• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

88GMCtruck's never ending 88 GMC build thread

88gmctruck

02GMCtruck
Reaction score
Time for another build thread! I have enjoyed the other build threads I have kept: the 78 Nomad trailer resto, and the 99 6.5L Towpig. Since the towpig is history, I'm concentrating on the 88 once again. Seeing as I have never kept a running build thread, I have decided it is time to actually make a build thread about my truck to document some of the progress, etc. Plus it's an excuse to post little updates that wouldn't otherwise be reason for a thread themselves.

We'll start with it's history. Grandparents bought the truck in 1988 brand new. It's a regular stepside K1500 350/700R4 truck in top of the line SLE Sierra trim inside and out. An off note, in 1988 the Z71 package didn't exist and the truck for whatever reason did not come with towhooks. What made the truck interesting is the RPO "Super Saver Package" that kept the truck as a SLE Sierra but stripped the interior down to the essentials: basic bench, AM/FM, AC and cruise. No tilt, no PWDL. In 2002 I received the truck with 88k on it (ironci!?).

GMC2.jpg

But it being stock didn't last long.

Being 16 the truck underwent many changes, a good amount of them cheap, free or made up by me being I couldn't afford much. A few were learning experiences, some stayed with the truck, and of course there were a few I am no longer proud of (such as altezza taillights and blue neon).

GMCFrontBrushSide.jpg

GMC4-2-03022.jpg

Due to the miles/age of the truck, I replaced lots of small things, waterpump, radiator, alternator twice, starter a few more times, etc. Eventually larger things like the rear end went out, and a few years later the 700R4 gave up the ghost. By 2005 I was in college and the truck IMO was looking pretty good.

IM000154.jpg

Seeing as I lived in a very snowy climate at college, I also picked up a winter set of wheels that also served as a good wheelin set.
100_0654.jpg

At this point the truck ate through a second 10-bolt and the addition of a 14SF was added. I always was into 4x4ing and my truck, so there was already tons of ideas in my head. Eventually I started making good money in the summers and in 2008 I picked up the 02 GMC. The front suspension in the 88 at this time needed a full overhaul, so about a week after owning the new truck I decided that rebuilding the suspension meant it was time to install a Dana 44 front axle. The parts collection began. A little cut here, a grind over there and a few welds resulted in 3 hard weeks working with my dad as much as humanly possible between work and sleep to convert this thing.
P1010424.jpg

P1010494.jpg

P1010562.jpg

The result was 8" of lift while still being a very streetable, yet capable truck. Build: http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?18361-Tech-88GMCtruck-s-SAS-Dana-44-Build-(no-56k)
P1010989.jpg

P1010713.jpg

After a good deal of wheeling and driving later, this happened.
1115081053.jpg

The Automatic didn't like it very much but it survived another 6 months. Then came cablights and stock mirrors sometime in 2009
P1060548.jpg

My previous water incident ended up prompting this upgrade.
P1080890.jpg

P1080928.jpg

The summer of 2010 I bought a 1978 trailer for camping. As many of you know it's been a project all in it's own. Build: http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/sh...tion-Project-88GMCtruck-is-at-it-again/page20 After towing it awhile, I finally did a much needed gear upgrade from 3.73s to 4.56s.
IMG_20101212_153850.jpg

The 88 took a year long break from most use when I bought what many here knew oh so well, the 99 6.5L K2500 5-speed truck. Build: http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?27781-88GMCtruck-s-99-6-5L-Towpig-slow-build

But in the end I sold it and am once again concentrating on this truck. I just finished converting the truck to 8-lug with hubs up front and a detroit locked SRW Corporate 14FF axle from a CUCV.
P1120234.jpg

P1120233.jpg

P1120241.jpg

P1120239.jpg

P1120238.jpg

Next plans include a repower. The stock TBI350 is entirely original and is just about to roll 200k. It burns no oil and has great compression still, just lacking in the power department.

Nice truck. Good to see you back.
Your going to 8 lug and Im looking to go from 8 to 6lug

8-lug to 6-lug o_O seems very backwards to me :p

Can't promise i'll be around a TON these days, working 10-12 hours 5-days a week with an hour of commute each way really kills freetime.

Original small block... Testament to Brute GM reliability, interchangeability, fixability (not a word maybe).. You get my point.

Sub--scribed..

Exactly. The TBI series of motors were honestly one of the longest running, reliable, efficient and simplest motors GM made. It's why i'm considering a TBI454 as a replacement.

I'll be sad to see the TBI350 go as I would like to see how many miles I can rack on it, but then again... It really makes towing a chore.

Good to see the documentation all in one place David. If it was me, I'd just do a serious build on the 350 to around 450 HP with a modern port injection setup. Crap mileage but plenty of oomph.

Of course, having said I'd build it...
Last SB I built I had about 5 grand in the damn thing and realized I could easily have bought a crate motor with near the ponies for less and had a warranty to boot. It's a sickness.

In any case, I'm going to build/buy a motor and swap it in. Not doing anything with my current motor as it'll be down too long.

No plans for another small block or even a stroker. If it's a gas motor it'll be a TBI454 or 6.0L LS motor, MAYBE a 6.2L or 8.1L if I find one cheap.

If it's a diesel I'll get a duramax or cummins. Maybe something more interesting, who knows.

But the idea at this point is something that will pull better and is affordable. Hence the TBI454.

I wanna do a 6.0 LS in my 67 C20, but the trans has me hung up. I'd do a NV4500, but I don't want the hydraulic clutch. I would love to see you do it in this truck. Great mileage in that small truck, yet a ton of power. ;)

I wanna do a 6.0 LS in my 67 C20, but the trans has me hung up. I'd do a NV4500, but I don't want the hydraulic clutch. I would love to see you do it in this truck. Great mileage in that small truck, yet a ton of power. ;)

In my 70 K30 I went with a hydraulic throw out bearing. The rest of the system is a small MC and a hose. Why do you not want a Hydraulic clutch? Going auto?

Dumb question: what does the "LS" refer to?
From Wikipedia:

"The GM LS engine family is an engine design intended as the only V-8 engine used in General Motors' line of rear-wheel-drive cars and trucks. The LS series was a "clean sheet" design with little in common with the classic Chevrolet small block V8. Some LS engines are all-aluminum, especially the performance oriented engines, while others are cast iron, and all LS engines have 6-bolt main bearing caps.
The LS engine has been the sole powerplant of the Chevrolet Corvette since 1997 and has seen use in a wide variety of other General Motors vehicles, ranging from sport coupes to full size trucks. Due to the engine's relatively compact external dimensions compared to its displacement and power output, the engine family is also a popular choice for kit cars, hot rods, buggies, and even light aircraft."

Pretty good explanation.

Back