• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

88GMCtruck's 99 6.5L Towpig slow build.

Don't even tempt me with something like that. I originally wanted to go to UTI or Wyotech and do automotive related work, but my parents wanted different so I followed my second choice of construction. I'm actually graduating in less than a month with an B.S. in Architecture and Construction Management minor.

------------------

So, Went down to Costco today, stopped at the scales to weigh the truck. With 2 people, 2/3 tank of fuel, and the dog it was 3600 on the front axle and 2840 on the rear, totaling 6740LBS. I then calculated the missing fuel, subtracted both people and the dog and came up with the truck weighing about 6,400 LBS unloaded with a full tank of fuel.

I also picked this up at the hardware store for the truck, as I was short a few air fittings and figured I should have a chuck and air nozzle to leave with it all the time.
IMG_20110409_155027.jpg

On the way back I stopped along the Snake River to let the dog out and play...
IMG_20110409_145731.jpg

...and snap a few picts of the truck.
IMG_20110409_145215.jpg

IMG_20110409_145225.jpg

IMG_20110409_145314.jpg

IMG_20110409_145257.jpg

Got to say, I'm jealous oif the air bags and compressor setup.

I've been wanting a set of the firestones since we stepped up to the 35 footer.

6400 sounds about right. I dropped off some wood at the yard today and I weighed 3700 kg with a full tank, myself and the truck cap on the back.

You might think about putting something under the box to guard the air line for when you slide that 4x8 sheet into it because you forgot you put it there...;) Like a piece of formed channel or something.

Mike, I was thinking about drilling a hole in the mid part of the bed (the little shelf like area) and running them there for that exact reason. Great minds think alike.

Nah, do it for your hobby. You enjoy it.

As soon as you start doing it for money, it becomes a business, then a job, then a major PITA.....and you don't enjoy it anymore.

Don't ask me how I know....

Something like: When your avocation becomes your vocation, you get no vacation. Right? Oh yeah, know this one well.

David, how much lift do the bags give you over stock ride hieght when at 70 psi?

Inches at the hitch/bumper hieght would be great if you don't mind. I'm thinking about picking up a set to make hooking up my equilizer hitch bars easier.

Something like: When your avocation becomes your vocation, you get no vacation. Right? Oh yeah, know this one well.
That is a good call, honestly probably one reason I don't want to do this for a living.

David, how much lift do the bags give you over stock ride hieght when at 70 psi?

Inches at the hitch/bumper hieght would be great if you don't mind. I'm thinking about picking up a set to make hooking up my equilizer hitch bars easier.
Well, i can tell you it's quite a bit. I'll check it out tomorrow and report back to you.

I have air bags on my bale truck, a guess of hitch height from 0-50 psi where I run them would be a gain of 4-5". The deck would weigh a ton more than the box.

David is your Air Bag setup all "Firestone"........Compressor, lines, controls?

And why not mount that little control valve/gauge controller in the cab......Just wondering?

David is your Air Bag setup all "Firestone"........Compressor, lines, controls?

And why not mount that little control valve/gauge controller in the cab......Just wondering?
Well, honestly the reason I chose not to put them in the cab was the lack of a decent enough place to mount them. If anyone here has learned anything from my posts, I like things to look factory and there just isn't a good way to do it. It really makes no difference to me where they are at. It was significantly easier to mount them closer to the compressor (less airline to run, let along trying to get 3 airlines into the cab). Besides, if you really think about it, how ofter are you going to change the level of the airbags while driving!? They really are a "set it and forget it" kind of deal. IMO they are more convenient in the toolbox because I'm standing outside the truck and can easily judge how far i'm raising it up.

I think if you want to actually air tires and stuff w/ that setup, you're going to want a bigger tank. ;)
I know, this tank is puny. I don't expect to be airing tires up with this except in emergency and top-off kind of situations. The main reason it's all there is because it didn't really cost me anything since dad gave it to me. If i end up running across a larger tank at some point cheap I'd like to mount a good sized one under the bed for airing things up.

So, it appears I have solved all my PMD issues and the coolant isn't disappearing anymore (hose was weeping). I also got an airdam for it for free, and will be installing it with a set of dual beam Dick Cepek spot/fog lights I have lying around.

I also broke the vin down again, found out that the color of my truck is quite rare

My color, Lt Grey Metallic (14U) from what i've seen is uncommon. It's only a 99-00 color on GMT400s. Anyway. In 99 GM made 414 trucks in this color. In 00 they made 380. So it's not very common.

NV4500 was kinda an oddity. Only 678 trucks in 99 with them, however in 00 there are 3159 trucks with them. o_O So finding a 5-speed is easier in 00 I guess!

I guess with my 95 being the dark green... Also, the 99 has more small scratches on it, it does shine up nice, just not a color I would have picked given a choice.

Back