• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

88GMCtruck's 99 6.5L Towpig slow build.

That's a fun vid David. Truck sounds great!:thumbsup:
Lot's of new stuff to play with too.
If it wasn't raining today I would have had those bags on by now. Supposed to rain all week too. :(

Definitely hard to hear the difference, but there is a difference.

Lots of goodies!!! I didn't know Tahoe's of that gen had power hatches, mine had the barn doors...
Yeah, I was hoping the camera would do a better job but oh well. As far as tahoes/yukons/suburbans, they all were available in barn door or liftglass and tailgate. Interestingly, all of them have provisions and wiring for either, so they are also interchangeable.

Alright, Alright. Those tails aren't going on the truck.

Admittedly, they are off of the 88, back when I was 16 and had different "tastes" to put it nicely. I found them at the parents place, brought them back to tear apart and possibly use for a LED taillight project.

Yeah, I mostly did it to push Devin's buttons after we drug them out of the garage at my parents place (he traveled with me this weekend and drove the truck on the trip back).

Thank you. ;)

Sounds like a beast. That idle up #2 really cranks it up..
I actually went from high idle #1 (1070rpms) to #3 (1600rpms), skipping the second high idle at 1360rpms. :D I have 2 switches on the dash, one is idle #1, second is idle #2. Together they are idle #3.

Forgot another part I picked up while junkyarding. Found that 94-97 S-10 center console inserts fit in these consoles as well. While it's not the cupholder insert I want, it is at least an insert :D

IMG_20110405_114701.jpg

More stuff.

Dis-assembled all the airbag stuff
P1110422.jpg

This is why I dislike powdercoat. Once it gets moisture under any part of it, it bubbles up and rusts under the powdercoat. Various stages of cleaning a bracket.
P1110423.jpg

P1110424.jpg

P1110425.jpg

P1110426.jpg

Once I got everything cleaned up, it was time for paint.
P1110427.jpg

Back together. Looks SO much better.
P1110430.jpg

Mounted the gauge and controls in the toolbox.
P1110429.jpg

Also bought all new stainless bolts for everything.
P1110428.jpg

Hopefully i'll find time to mount the tank and compressor in the next few days.

Just a warning about the stainless hardware David. If they are in compression then ok but if any of them will be in tension or shear it's risky. They can fatigue from vibration and fail. If it isn't a highly stressed application or shock loaded then you should be good.

I think stainless will be just fine here, otherwise I would have grabbed some grade 8 Stuff. The bolts really only hold the bags in place, as this style bag set on the top of the axle tube and replaces the bumpstop. I actually prefer this style, as the weight of them is resting on the bag and mount, not bolts in the side of the frame.

Heh, only set I have is these. They are Firestone RideRites, came off my old roommates 95 K1500 6.5L truck and were on the 88 before the lift. So they are quite old and have held up very well.

What's his option.....grade 8?

I think stainless will be just fine here, otherwise I would have grabbed some grade 8 Stuff. The bolts really only hold the bags in place, as this style bag set on the top of the axle tube and replaces the bumpstop. I actually prefer this style, as the weight of them is resting on the bag and mount, not bolts in the side of the frame.

I just put the stainless note in there because I wasn't sure where else they were going. In that application I think they're fine. I'll bet they were originally grade 5.

Got 2 things accomplished today...

First off, I rented a pressure tester and bought some UV coolant dye. Turns out the mystery coolant loss is the lower waterpump hose leaking!!! Got it all tightened up. So... I found what I believe is the mystery coolant loss, and it wasn't a headgasket or cracked head/block!

Second, while I was pressure testing, I worked on the airbags again.
First thing I did was wire the toolbox with constant and keyed power. I ran constant power for a future toolbox lights, and the keyed power for the airbags. I didn't take any pictures, but I dis-assembled the underhood fuse block and wired in my own terminals. I utilized an empty fuse location with a 25A fuse for the toolbox power, and utilized the empty A.I.R. relay for the keyed air compressor power. I also pre-wired a stub out for the heated mirrors, when I get around to hooking those up. I then got everything mounted up.

Mounted the pump and tank inside the toolbox.
P1110433.jpg

Added an air chuck for the 25' coiled hose that came with it.
P1110435.jpg

Weatherpack connector and lines running through front of box. The airlines have pressure fittings inside the box I can dis-connect if I need to remove the toolbox.
P1110436.jpg

Not QUITE done mounting the bags, the drill was dead and I have 3.25 holes left to drill, then bolt them to the frame.
P1110437.jpg

P1110440.jpg

P1110442.jpg

The current exhaust is close, but when I go to 4" I just have to make sure and run it a little to the right.

Finished bolting them up this morning.
P1110448.jpg

Truck at normal aired down height
P1110447.jpg

Aired up to 70PSI
P1110444.jpg

P1110445.jpg

P1110443.jpg

Oh, the gauge is dual needle.
P1110446.jpg

Well, I honestly can say you make me look like a lazy ass when it comes to my trucks! :D

If you are ever at a career crossroads, I bet you would make a killing with a truck accessories shop of your own, with the quality of work you turn out.

Back