• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

88894035?

I just got my hands on a 88894044. Anybody know what the deal is on this one? It was supposedly a take off from Peninsular since the marine engines use a different set up.

It looked to me like the threaded orifice was the only true difference. And it looks like Heath made it smaller, instead of the 1" or whatever size its only like 1/4". So then less goes to the drivers side, to balance the flow I suppose.

So for someone with a 2000 year system, is it worth it? I wouldnt think so, but if you have a 94 or 95 it would make more sense.

I don't think we have the difference nailed down on Heath's pump. The bypass being reduced to 1/4" would appear to not matter when the thermostat opens and blocks the bypass passage off - that bottom valve spring thingy on the t-stat should completely block the bypass off.

I just got a take-off from Peninsular with the pressed on pulley that uses the threaded on clutch. I'll have to ask Bill when I order my GL-4 if I should put the restriction in my new water pump or if they are different.

I don't think we have the difference nailed down on Heath's pump. The bypass being reduced to 1/4" would appear to not matter when the thermostat opens and blocks the bypass passage off - that bottom valve spring thingy on the t-stat should completely block the bypass off.

That reducer is for the dual thermostat trucks only. The dual stats don't have the ability to block the by-pass like the single stat does.

That reducer is for the dual thermostat trucks only. The dual stats don't have the ability to block the by-pass like the single stat does.

Are you sure, Burner? Because I thought that the Heath kit I saw WITH the restrictor was a single stat. I definitely could be wrong but that's what I'm remembering.

I just had a conversation with Ron Davis Radiator. They said that there is severe airflow problems with this body style. So a thicker radiator would not help cooling for the truck. (My radiator needs a rebuild, brass tanks so worth it...)

Thus the airflow is 'solved' with a better fan and HD clutch of some kind.

Then there is the flow balance issue I know exists in 1995. So is that solved with just a new pump or did GM redesign the pump(s) to fix that? Also what years had this problem, 1995 is a given gas and diesel. I am thinking 1993 may not have had the issue with flow balance?

Check this out ( http://www.maxxtorque.com/dieselcommunity/spring-2009/65l-diesel-oil-cooler-upgrade ). Scroll down to the section on the water pump.

The Burner is correct!!!

"In comparison, the dual thermostat setup offers no feature for blocking the water pump bypass port. Since a good portion of the heated coolant is allowed to re-circulate back through the water pump and into the engine block, coolant flow through the radiator is not encouraged. Further, the desired pressurization of the coolant passages is not attained in the dual system. The Heath upgrade kit for the dual thermostat engines includes a special, restrictor orifice necessary to the creation of water pump pressure in the coolant passages of the dual thermostat engine like the single thermostat system."

Thank you for clearing that up because I can't remember everything I read. So now the question is which pumps have the balanced flow since I already have a single thermostat manifold? Is it every one with the screw on clutch?

So now the question is which pumps have the balanced flow since I already have a single thermostat manifold? Is it every one with the screw on clutch?

They got the balance pretty well figured out with the 97 pumps. There's no advantage to the thread on pumps that I know of, unless they increased flow beyond 130gph.

They got the balance pretty well figured out with the 97 pumps. There's no advantage to the thread on pumps that I know of, unless they increased flow beyond 130gph.

It's not the flow but the even flow side to side. The first HO pumps were no better in this regard than the non-HO pumps. What year did the thread on pumps start? Another dumb question, would a 88894044 part # be a newer design than a 88894035 part #? Seems logical but??????

It's not the flow but the even flow side to side. The first HO pumps were no better in this regard than the non-HO pumps. What year did the thread on pumps start? Another dumb question, would a 88894044 part # be a newer design than a 88894035 part #? Seems logical but??????

Did you test this, or are you just repeating something someone else said. My Autometer's have sang a different song for over 30k miles.

If they improved total/balanced flow even more, thats great. If not, the only real advantage is being able to put a D-max fan and clutch on easier. If there was a difference, surely by now the new replacement 97 HO pumps are the same pump as the 99.5-00 pumps, just with a four bolt flange, no need to cast two different housings if one is inferior.

How hard is that P/N to read on the truck? I'll see what mine says. I bought mine from Bumper-to- Bumper. Its a new(not reman) pump. That could make a difference where the remans use the earlier castings, maybe thats why there is still the earlier P/N.

I hate to say this but I have the pump in my hand and can't see a part # that makes sense. Maybe the pulley is obscuring it or because I have the timing plate on the pump I can't see it? WTF?:mad2:

I see the difference now. It is in plain sight!

WPI-1-1.jpg

:eek: I see the difference now. It is in plain sight!

Measure the coolant passages by the impeller. The Passenger passage is 'wider/longer contact with the impeller' than the driver side passage. See the difference in the pumps in that respect?

I see that. Also, I thought the vanes on the backside of the pump disc were longer on the later model Heath recommended pump.

Sure wish I could tell you the results of this install, but I have yet to be able to time the stupid engine. I must still be off on the internal timing set of the engine, this after going in and doing it twice.

Big T, I hate to be a pain but can you get a straight down shot at those. I understand what you're saying but I have a hard time seeing it from the angle you have. I would definitely appreciate it.:smile5:

Big T, I hate to be a pain but can you get a straight down shot at those. I understand what you're saying but I have a hard time seeing it from the angle you have. I would definitely appreciate it.:smile5:

Too late, it's installed.

Back