• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

88894035?

Can you take it back off?:biggrinjester::crazy:

Ok, seriously, was it that big a difference side by side? Do you know the part # off the screw on one you installed?

You never know, it might come off for the third time.:rolleyes5:

No, not much difference. I studied the two quite a bit. I thought there was some differences in the passages, but then convinced myself that I was imagining this. The pump vanes seemed longer, but the only way to really tell would be to take that pump disk out and compare the two. The orifice was definitely different, but that is Heath's contribution for the dual t-stat model.

The orifice was definitely different, but that is Heath's contribution for the dual t-stat model.

Sorry, Big T, I missed that. So you got the water pump from Heath. Does that mean you got the entire cooling kit or did you just get the pump itself? Could you see 88894035 on the pump or is that just a part #?

Sorry, Big T, I missed that. So you got the water pump from Heath. Does that mean you got the entire cooling kit or did you just get the pump itself? Could you see 88894035 on the pump or is that just a part #?

I got the entire cooling kit from Heath back in November for like $589 plus shipping. Total ended up being $612. I don't recall seeing 88894035 on the pump. My '97 pump did have "HO" on it.

ACDelco 251-603: WATER PUMP: GM part number is now updated to 19168609. Wholesale from GM is $275.00 list is $426.00. Ebay is $294.00

schiker,
Funny you should mention those items, as I was just contemplating them while putting in my bypass coolant filter. I have a friend who is a Nuclear Engineer and I figured those guys know a lot about cooling so I gave him a call.

1st question he asked was how did I know the pump put out that much and what conditions did it put out that much?

He said that there are so many variables due to pump velocity, pressure, coolant viscosity and resistance it would be nearly impossible to accurately determine a specific flowrate at any one point in the system unless you could access it and gauge it somehow.

There was talk on another 6.5 forum on doing an article where they'll test/measure actual flow rates (bank to bank differential, overall, etc.) using a spare engine/heads setting on a stand. Sounded like the idea was to compare both the later HO pumps & do so at different pump rpm rates.

The discussion was on The Diesel Page. Don't know what the rules are regarding posting links to other 6.5 forums, so I sent you a PM.

I don't believe the test has been done yet; was just discussion on planning to do such a test.

Correct. And the results should be independently reproducible.

I don't have an opinion either way. Regardless of who makes a performance claim, if the difference is real, it's reproducible by someone else (as long as the test is done w/ a genuine understanding of how to design a test (# of samples, degree of difference, etc., to be statistically valid) & collect data in a way that is scientifically/statistically defensible.

That's the real challenge with interpreting many product's marketing designed sales pitch. It's their job to show their products in the best light.

This isn't intended to cast doubt on any specific product or vendor. Just saying it's always good to verify things.

iirc Heath was measuring @ 2,000 RPM when he was looking to see equal side to side flow.

My 1995 350 gasser boiled over from this side to side flow problem. GM issued a TSB over it and had updated water pumps for the 350 gas engine. It was one of the rare times I had to go to the dealer as I could not figure it out. Engine boiled over while gauge was reading ok. Squeezing upper radiator hose test passed for the water pump.

I was really surprised when the updated replacement water pump fixed it. :eek:

So the diesel suffering from the same "documented" problem as the gassers is not hard to imagine.

I know a friend that experimented w/ a BBC race car & saw something similar in flow being biased somewhat towards the left engine bank. They went to a higher flow aftermarket wpump which resulted in a much smaller difference side to side, so no longer a significant problem.

It wouldn't surprise me at all that GM's latest pump design was better.

On a completely unrelated, but curious sidenote, on the farm, we had a Uni harvesting machine w/ the old, big block GMC V6 gasser truck engine. If memory serves it was 401 ci.

The thing developed a cooling problem where it would overheat when leaning one way running on a hillside. Turn it around & lean it the other way, & it would cool down. Did what we could to flush the system, bleed any remaining air, etc., but never did get that issue figured out.

ACDelco 251-603: WATER PUMP: GM part number is now updated to 19168609. Wholesale from GM is $275.00 list is $426.00. Ebay is $294.00

I went to a website called oehq dot com and punched in 88894035 and 19168609. Got totally different prices...

-Rob :)

Back