• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5TD engine expired? Rebuild time?

I was my ex gf's granpas truck. Everyone told me i was a moron for buying it, all the issues they had with it, how much of a piece it was.. The riot.. Then i got it running and of course everyone asks if its the same truck!

My strategy is to use the "bad reputation" of the 6.5 down to my advantage agreeing that it's a POS go for the sympathy angle hey if lower the price I'll take it off your hands & we both win :) pisses em off later to find it was a bad gnd or driver and has been running like a top since selling it.

My strategy is to use the "bad reputation" of the 6.5 down to my advantage agreeing that it's a POS go for the sympathy angle hey if lower the price I'll take it off your hands & we both win :) pisses em off later to find it was a bad gnd or driver and has been running like a top since selling it.

Good strategy.. Ive got 3 vehicle already though lol and im 22.

Doing some hot-laps around the block today with no bed, bumper, hitch, spare tire, (fun-fun)

Well I guess the 'block' is actually 2-lane county roads... anyway... I noticed I had some sort of rear anti lock brakes. Did not know that. It's like a new truck to me, hell. No lights in the dash to tell me otherwise.

Got the final SWITCH replaced. the cold start/high-idle deal in the t-stat x-over... Two prong on mine. Bought an AC delco jobby from an outfit on ebay. Works like a charm. (The *McParts stores* didn't know what the hell I was even talking about....)

The rings are breaking in nicely. Power is on the UP...

This is going to be a fun truck.

1k that's awesome. Bought the '93 for 1500. Delivered ha ha.

So yeah if I were to sell it (hypothetically) I'd now need twice the book value to break even!!! :hihi:

:WTF:

Book value is book. Good luck getting someone to pay that. However, good luck getting a replacement for book price. If you do expect it to have issues.

Your truck now is near new and you don't have to worry about the engine blowing up in the next 20 miles. Any used and you do have that worry. Hopefully you spent less than a new truck would cost...

Random stuff

Just some random photos during the adventure of my dead 6.5 to the replacement '82 turbo 6.2. I keep finding photos I don't even remember taking...:rolleyes5:

Hauling the yanked 6.5 with my '65 to my shop from the neighbors where I removed it:
haul.jpg

Degreed the cam.
deg.jpg

MIL spec 6.2 rings!
rings.jpg

Each cylinder was around .013" OUT of the hole. Can you say SQUEEZE?
out.jpg

The little monster DB2 modded by Columbus Diesel Supply:
ip.jpg

NICE! I hope I can get my 95 back on the road soon. it WAS a fun truck until the coolant drained into the oil. I could out run a 99 ECSB 2wd Cummins chip, FASS, built auto tranny, and straight pipe and suprised my cousin in his 09 3/4 ton duramax off the line (he took me after ~45 mph). :rolleyes5: no wonder it blew a HG or worse lol.

Book value is book. ....... Hopefully you spent less than a new truck would cost...

Yep, as with anything, it's only worth what somebody will pay... I could care less about 'book value'.

I miss my truck, been about 2 months since ive driven it!

Don't feel bad, I've had this thing for going on 2 years and just now getting close.

NICE! I hope I can get my 95 back on the road soon....

If I huff this build, I would blame it on my right foot. Already gathering parts for the next one. :) This 6.2 should be good for a while. I don't tow much.

Last edited:
On the DB2 pump built by Columbus, did they tell you how much fuel it will flow or a HP number it will support? Did you get larger plungers installed instead of the .31" factory size. The picture of the pump has me drooling too. Sounds like the truck will be an awesome runner and get us some videos of it smoking the rear tires, haha.

On the DB2 pump built by Columbus, did they tell you how much fuel it will flow or a HP number it will support?

They said the pump would support 330-340hp and this is at the modified governor speed of around 4900-5000 rpm. (For later, not for this engine... shift points are OEM for now)

It will roast the hides no problem. Throttle response is real good.

That's awesome and interesting at the same time! So does that mean you can technically rev the engine to 4900 rpm if the tranmission would allow? That should be plenty high enough rpm for one of these engines as the stock power outputs were made at 3400-3600 rpm. I wonder what's exactly involved in increasing the max rpm/modifying the governor on the DB2 pumps?

Yeah like I said. Not this engine. Going to go forged crank 'and stuff' for the next one.

The trans shift points are very conservative. When the time comes, I will do some valve body mods for a manual override of the 'auto' shift points.

And as far as the GOV, there are weights that act upon a thrust washer and arm. Springs too. There's no way I wanted to F with this without having an IP test bench. So, I couldn't really tell you how.

DSC02131.jpg

Back