• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5TD engine expired? Rebuild time?

Since your truck is a 4x4 I'd just pull the motor. It is a tight fit squeezing the oil pan past the front diff when installing the motor. You need to unbolt the motor mounts and lift the motor to have clearance to pull the pan. May as well pull it all the way and be able to get to everything.

I had better compression than that with a badly cracked block. http://www.dieseltowingresource.com/showthread.php?t=8229

A way to get my '93 usable?

OK I'll run this by the 6.2/6.5 crew.

I have an opportunity to score a good running '90 6.2 from a 1-ton 4WD locally for a nice price. Below 100k miles.

My hopes would be to get my '93 on the road before WINTER. I don't have the disposable income right now for a FULL-ON 6.5 build- or at least what I have in mind as full-on.

Maybe my current 6.5 is scrapped, I dunno yet. It NEEDS to come out, period and I figure why not pop a little 6.2 in there. These are my 'thinkings'...

Am I in for it?
Is it possible to use my 'good' GM-3 turbo?
Which IP? Turn up the 6.2 pump to accommodate the boost?
Any other potential road blocks?

Thoughts?

Thanks.

OK I'll run this by the 6.2/6.5 crew.

I have an opportunity to score a good running '90 6.2 from a 1-ton 4WD locally for a nice price. Below 100k miles.

My hopes would be to get my '93 on the road before WINTER. I don't have the disposable income right now for a FULL-ON 6.5 build- or at least what I have in mind as full-on.

Maybe my current 6.5 is scrapped, I dunno yet. It NEEDS to come out, period and I figure why not pop a little 6.2 in there. These are my 'thinkings'...

Am I in for it?
Is it possible to use my 'good' GM-3 turbo?
Which IP? Turn up the 6.2 pump to accommodate the boost?
Any other potential road blocks?

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Swap everything over, use your 6.5 IP, keep boost at 10 psi and watch the EGT's.

Not sure if the 90 has a reverse rotation pump, but if it does, your gold, if not, you'll have to change it.

The 6.2 will do fine.
As mentioned swap the accessories and install the turbo, IP and such

If the 6.2 came from an old style truck and has V belts then you will need to swap the water pump from yours.

The injectors lines are compatible as are the injectors.

Easy switch.

MGW

UPDATE...

Well what have we HERE? A freshly plucked chunk of iron.

This weekend I will be doing a teardown. Will be INTERESTING for sure.

I found a little blue torque converter. I don't think it's GM. B&M? Haven't looked to close at it yet. At some point in time my 4L80E was rebuilt. This could be a plus.

As for turning wrenches on this pile, what a trip. I managed NOT to throw stuff, but I kicked a milk crate and I haven't found it yet.

I think I drug every metric wrench and socket to be found from out of the tool boxes... Geesh. And as a parting shot GM decided to use STANDARD engine mount bolts. :mad2:

Why did I even buy this truck? :rolleyes5::D

Attachments

• GMC1.jpg
    GMC1.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 5
  • GMC2.jpg
    GMC2.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 5
  • GMC3.jpg
    GMC3.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 6
  • GMC4.jpg
    GMC4.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 5
  • GMC5.jpg
    GMC5.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 7
Hmmm that paint color scheme looks familiar...

And I thought my idle speed was low at times after start up... Read the visor - you have to floor it key on before cranking to get the cold idle speed to work right.

After the rebuild / repair to wake it up:

Exhaust - turbo back, 1/3 turn on the IP screw, and a turbo master. (Loose the GM spring can on the GM3...) Loose the snorkel in the fender if it still has it. Boost gauge and pyrometer... Find a heavy trailer and set the Turbo Master in OD low RPM WOT to stay under 14 PSI - the rest will stay under 12 PSI after that. HO water pump and 9 blade fan with fan clutch of your choice or mod yours if it still works.

That is what I did anyway and it went from 35 MPH flat out to 43 MPH flat out pulling a 24' up a tree, err, the big hill I climb every day.

Check the cooling system - radiator inside and outside for plugging. Replace the condenser for a lot of bent fins or clean it out. Lots of threads on here to help with that.

Ah HAAA.

Thanks for the suggestions.

OK, Now I know exactly the cause of all the racket this poor creature was making. If you want to hear what TWO (#1,2) rod bearings do when they take a leave of absence, refer to post #1 of this thread... There was nothing left of either bearing. GONE. But the rod held together and the engine carried some oil pressure in the video and refused to grenade.

So, a preliminary parts assessment:

Crank, Not busted in two, very bad 1 & 2 journal, may clean up with a grind.
Rods, Probably will need 2 rods. (Anybody?)
Block, would you believe only ONE main web crack. Has a weird mark in a cylinder that will need looked at closer, as such with all others.
Heads, Possibly a bent valve or two from the piston smacking them due to no rod bearings in 1&2. Have not checked for cracks yet.
Cam, good.
Pistons, lots of galling, not reusable IMO.

I need an experienced Loc 'n' Stitch customer to tell me if the single block crack can be healed. This of course is pending upon a full cleaning and magnaflux to make sure that's the only one. If I have a a bore crack, I will sleeve it. Overall a good 599 block.

Attachments

• shrapnel2.jpg
    shrapnel2.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 5
  • shrapnel.jpg
    shrapnel.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 5
  • lifter.jpg
    lifter.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 5
  • cyl.jpg
    cyl.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 7
  • crack2.jpg
    crack2.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 6
  • crack1.jpg
    crack1.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 12 journal.jpg
    12 journal.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 5
Carnage

More post mortem... Note the red markings on the piston and the valve imprint on it. Got two like that. 1 & 2 were just flinging around in there with no rod bearings.

Crank is junk. Mic'd the 1 & 2 journals, finding the smallest dia. (they're nice and egg shaped) .0565 smaller than a good journal. I don't know of any .060 under bearings!

Engine was totally used up. Compression ring gaps are around .067"-.070"

Attachments

• valve hit.jpg
    valve hit.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 2
  • slap.jpg
    slap.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 2
  • rod2.jpg
    rod2.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 2
  • rod.jpg
    rod.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 1
  • ring pits.jpg
    ring pits.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 1
  • big gap.jpg
    big gap.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 1
You can only polish these cranks so it was done w/o measuring it…

Following your footsteps with pulling my engine. Same color truck too!

I would be looking for another engine, this one is going to be costly to rebuild. You'll need some rods, new pistons, crank, block repaired, lifters and maybe a cam, plus heads maybe? Ouch, :sad:

Reminds me of the engine I am working on, lube shop didn't fill it up properly, customer lasted 5 hours before it let go, crank was ground down to nothing, bearings fubared, etc. Amen for insurance company's, :eek: ):h

Visited my local engine shop, they don't want to touch the cracked main web in my block. They are familiar with the lock & stitch inserts. :confused:

The 6.2 heads on the shelf at this same shop turned out to be the SAME castings (567) as my cracked heads. Only thing is, they are CRACKED too. :mad2: They're even ready to go with new springs, seals and valve job.......

This is starting to hurt.

that crack is not repairable with the FullToruqe inserts. Missy who knows the most about the process condemed my 599 with a crack that looked just like that. after all the work iv done on mine that still aint together i would have bought the motor from boycee. they guarentee it to run (so you could just drop it in) i asked if i tore it down and found cracks if they would replace it they said they would same goes for heads. they had a few 6.5s a couple months back they thought they would get more but they have a lot of 6.2s

That crack is almost the same as my 599 block,except mine is centered with the bolt hole,I'm thinking of drilling a hole at the end and installing a plug to keep it from spreading.

Back