• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5L Newbie

Is Leroy pretty well priced?? I've been thinking about upgrading the oil cooler lines.. and crank pulley and harmonic balancer since from what I've read all three are notorious for taking out these engines

Yes he's okay. Some stuff he has it's the only place you can find it. If you're patient you can come across deals occasionally on places like be eBay and such.

Leroy makes up for the higher price with customer service. Some bad places like A1 and SSDiesel out there and be careful on eBay - post up before you buy on eBay and we can help.

We also do "Frugal" as a polite way of saying broke.

Back on the k&n air filter.
I haven’t chased specs on air filters in a ling time. Back when I bought my washable k&n for my Hummer in ‘03 or so, it out performed every other filter available. To be fair I grew up in the desert where we learned to oil filter socks or kill a filter in a month off roading. So I oil it with more oil than the instructions say. I also did oil samples and never had high silica numbers, much lower than I had from the comparable ones at the time.

My filter has a ring for pulling it out by design. After a decade it popped of, I called k&n and they sent me a new one free.

After seeing many issues brought up,i took my old filter and did some testing at a local lab. I wanted to see if it does what k&n claimed, or if it was as bad as many reprented. I did it exactly like instructions and it does draw in more ultra fines than a standard paper filter. But then I oiled it like I normally do, how we do it in the desert and it cleaned better than paper, and out flowed it up to a cfm that I did math on to 2600 rpm, same at 2800 rpm, and fell behind slowly above that.

So I continue to run my k&n. I spoke to the rep @ AC Delco when I saw the revamped their air filters. They said the new filter for hummers is much improved and now should out filter the k&n. He said it should now outflow the low rpm and will continue to flow better air at higher rpm. The only reason the k&n filtered better low rpm and was restricted top end is because of the added amount of oil I use. Also more
Oil (1.5-2 times recommended) means I have to clean it out sooner.

I went back to the flow lab here and they moved their business to somewhere down south.
I would love to find a testing facility to PROVE the best of currently available filters, but is seems the companies that pay for tests, win tests. I would love a Solution before my current build is done. Always want the best filtering options.

Something that throws me off is the size of that k&n you have- How often do you need to clean that?
My filter is cylindrical 12” long, 9” od 5” id. No taper. I would say it is twice the filtering size of that one. And I can max the filter gauge out in a month.

My suggestion is keep it oiled heavy for now, and do some research to best filter, then go to it. But make the call to k&n first and see if they have counter documentation.

The filter in pic is just one I grabbed off shelf at Auto zone... probably a dumb move...original was the big cylinder style.. the problem I ran into is that the original piping from the turbo to the airbox starts at 3 inch off the turbo and goes up to 4 inch into the filter... After a couple trips to the hardware store I could not figure out a way to build a pipe that would do that while eliminating all the excess b.s. that's on the original... Then I saw the piping in the picture at AutoZone it came in multiple pieces so you couldn design it the way you wanted ..so that was the easiest I came up with... Then I ran into the problem that the original filter has a 4-inch hole on it... And I couldn't find a cylinder style filter that size with a 3-inch hole... Which is why I grabbed the k&n washable cone style... Again probably not my best move and probably a waste of 50 $$... Things I have noticed since changing to the present set-up ARe.. seem to have a lot more power... Turbo spools up liking you wouldn't believe.... And it seems like I get a little bit better fuel mileage..... However I have noticed that when I get on it to make her roll some coal she tends to smoke white for a couple seconds.... And when I first start her in the morning I usually let her warm up for 5 or 10 minutes.. when I take off she smokes white for a couple minutes then to .. I've been told that that's a sign that the fuel mixture is off which would make sense since it is OBD2 so it will not adjust itself.. at least that is my understanding but I'm still kind of new to 6.5s

I think I hit the jackpot on something today.. a buddy of mine was cleaning out his garage... And had this pump sitting on a shelf... He said a friend of his a handful of years ago had bought this pump brand new and ask him to install it... He installed it and it did not fix the problem so he took it back out and put the original back in....evidently he had told the guy he didn't believe it was the injection pump up front but the guy was insistent so he was happy to take his money and show him that the new pump would not fix the problem... Turned out to be the crank sensor being bad... The long and short he knew I had a 6-5 and asked if I wanted it I said hell yes he said good put it in your truck and get it out of here I'm tired of looking at it... JACKPOT!!! Of course I just thought of something as I'm writing this...are all the IP the same or do they differ year-by-year? my truck is a 97 OBD2..f-vin

Attachments

• 1547340082585201206979.jpg
    1547340082585201206979.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 15473401181441603655716.jpg
    15473401181441603655716.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 9
A couple of years I think... I was wondering if I could send it back to standadine and have it tested

Good find! Yeah worth fixing yourself or if it doesn’t work with your rig, others here can put it to use. I have given away a few ds4 injection pumps here for folks to get redone or do testing with.
Now if ya find an old not ran db2 pump- hollar to me!! Haha!

Easy on the coal roll. Doing that is getting all the people to pass unobtainable smog laws in places and is really hard on some engines- this one included.
That smoke is unburned fuel and heavy carbon deposits which wipe out valve seats, injector faces, glowplugs, etc

Oh trust me I don't do it very often I live in New York and Diesel is high as hell here... I only do it when I've got some little punk next to me on the four lanes through the city that wants to act stupid..lol... II hope this text doesn't include all the emoji faces that my phone just decided to show if it did I'm sorry... I just went to AutoZone and found a paper air filter that's the same size as the stock one but with a 3-inch opening instead of 4in so it will fit my piping... However now my turbo doesn't whistle.. like it did it with the k&n cone filter I'm not sure if it's actually affecting performance or just didn't bring the sound from me being able to hear it

Back