• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5 turbo(gm4) on a 6.2

You'd have to fab something. without the Mech LP the factory 6.5TD Drain will hook right up. IIRC the 1st gen Banks had to drill the oil pan. I think it was the later kits that tapped next to the LP. I could be wrong but that is what I remember hearing.

I snapped a 1/4 inch U-joint into several pieces trying to get that galley plug out on my blazer for my oil temp gauge that i had at one point. It's much harder than it looks.

As for the mech LP. Get rid of it. Mine was pumping diesel into my engine oil. The only way i noticed is when i pulled the dipstick and the level of my brand new oil(2 days old) had gone up and it was thin as 5w-30 :eek:. Thankfully the truck wasn't on the road and only had a bit of idling around the yard on that oil. Otherwise i wouldn't have been so lucky. I ditched the mech LP for an electric right then and there.

The chrome(yea its' all they've got) blockoff plate at Autozone fits but you have to re-use one set of bolts from the Mech LP(shorter set IIRC) so don't loose them.

The banks kits i've seen use a spacer for the mechanical lift pump. The spacer has the drain tube for the oil return. Not sure if they require a longer push rod for the pump or not.

so far I managed to round of the nuts, not a big deal, and one bolt. It's not so much as hard to get out as bad spot to get to. I'm stuck with a wrench for 4 of them. too close to the frame. gotta get the bolt removers out along with the torch.

after all this is done it's time for some new bolts and antisieze:mad2:

Oddly enough I have had some nasty nasty manifold bolts but they always seem to come out of the block ok. I have had rounded heads and had to mpound a smaller socket on but they always come out. The crossover bolts is another story.

no crossover left to worry about. I've tried to pound on but space is a PITA. still got all my fingers the same colour though.

a bit of an update. I haven't gotten any farther along, but I've got I've got another question. I've decided on a single 3" gauge but where to mount it?

hoping to get a big chunk done next week.

3" why so big, most of us run 2" gauges, several vendors make gauge mount kits, IIRC Autometer makes one for the older GMs that mount to the steering column vs ones in the pillar post mounts used in the later models

Got it, dual indicating instrument, custom order from an aviation company ??? I'm thinking along similar lines myself for some extra instruments I'll be adding on mine.

I'm thinking maybe you'll have to make your own, most pods/mounts I've seen cater to the 2" instruments.

not custom at all. Isspro TURBOCATOR. I'm just stuck on where to put it. considering the dash beside the A pillar? less chance of it getting hit there.

Got it, dual indicating instrument, custom order from an aviation company ??? I'm thinking along similar lines myself for some extra instruments I'll be adding on mine.

I'm thinking maybe you'll have to make your own, most pods/mounts I've seen cater to the 2" instruments.

I have a 2 1/8 is it, the common small size MSD Lazer gauge, its an LED setup with EGT and Boost in one. I'll post pics of it when I get my install done.

not custom at all. Isspro TURBOCATOR. I'm just stuck on where to put it. considering the dash beside the A pillar? less chance of it getting hit there.

Thx for that 3" IMO still gonna be hard to buy off the shelf pod to fit I think, I've been looking at some special orders from these folks http://www.westach.com/ possibly they may have some ideas where to get a custom mount since their hard copy web linked catalog page 21 they sell 3" gauges.

Back