• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5 no fuel to injectors

Mycheal.booth

Reaction score
I recently just rebuilt the top end of my 98 it has the pmd relocated ran perfectly before i tore down due to valve cover gasket leaking witch i just ended up tearing heads off and and timing cover and replaced the chain as well as all the gaskets and the ops and crank position i put back together and cant for the life of me seem to get any fuel to cracked injector lines. I have cranked and cranked and cranked i have a check engine light on no codes though. The fuel cut off has power all grounds are good. I have fuel coming out of return line on top of pump when engine is being cranked. I dont know were to go or if it just takes about 10 recharges of the battery and cranking it 100 times over and over.

the more the better your trying to relieve the stress on the starter and any compression the IP is fighting to push air thru the lines

The batteries need to be in tip top shape also.
LOAD (NOT voltage) test the batteries one at a time.
Make sure the LP is running while you are cranking by jumping the LP relay.

If you have fuel to the pump (with no air) and nothing to the injectors it can be a crank/ cam sensor, PMD, or PCM issue. Do you have a way to read data? If so can you communicate with the PCM?

If you have fuel to the pump (with no air) and nothing to the injectors it can be a crank/ cam sensor, PMD, or PCM issue. Do you have a way to read data? If so can you communicate with the PCM?
I have a scan tool i got comunicqtion no dtc codes every thing seems fine on that end i have removed all glow plugs and jumped lp and cranked about 6 more times and still no fuel or mist also tryed a couple of times with another good pmd.

So I did a 95 like this . Replaced the heads and put everything back together . Tightened the injector lines and cranked over . It did take some time but I was lucky in that my truck had a rebuilt pump on it and was running fine , it just blew the head gaskets . Its not hard to see a misting . With the hood up , it will be very obvious .

I have a scan tool i got comunicqtion no dtc codes every thing seems fine on that end i have removed all glow plugs and jumped lp and cranked about 6 more times and still no fuel or mist also tryed a couple of times with another good pmd.

Communication is good. Can you read data though? Codes don't always set, so reading data is a must in a situation like this. Checking for cranking rpm on the scanner is a good idea, should be a PID for cam and crank reference too. Also is the Theft light on? There is a VTD PID and if that says disabled then your in theft mode. If you don't find anything in data then start checking powers and grounds. Unplugging the crank and cam sensors one at a time is good test if you cant read the reference data. The ignition switch on my 99 failed out of no where. So check your output power from the switch.

I've never loosened Injector lines to start a 6.5 after a fuel system repair. Yes it's a good idea. But I just hook up a battery charger and after a few 20 seconds cranking sessions it starts right up.

Did all the ground get back where they belong at the passenger side rear of the motor. WRT ECM Ground Diagram: Braided ground strap from G-104 to frame; Brown/Black and Black/White wire for the ECM to G105 (150 is the gasser reference). Here's a an old post from TurbineDoc that goes over cleaning grounds that with pictures that show the wires and their locations I'm referencing. If the ECM isn't grounded correctly....

Attachments

• TurbineDoc Electrical Ground checks compressed.doc
    819 KB · Views: 27
  • ECM Ground Diagram.pdf
    886.9 KB · Views: 24
  • ECM Ground Schematic.pdf
    606.7 KB · Views: 19
ECM isn't turning on the fuel, PMD issue, all problems look electrical... Check all the connectors.

Did you do anything to the crank position sensor because you were there?

Timing from the chain replacement shouldn't matter as long as the IP is spinning: fuel coming out of the IP means the IP is spinning. I assume you have the 4 pole part on the crank rather than the wrong DB2 timing set... 🤪

When it's going to mist out the glow plug holes it looks like this: (DB2 here. DS4 should be similar)

Well i finnaly got time to go out and look at it again i have a fairly good scan tool the fso is enabled i do not have any security light on nor showing it in the computer. On the computer i can run data stream on it my tdc is at 0 deg since it cant learn it yet my deaired inj pump timing says 17 and my actual injection pump timing fluctuates between 17-20. Is that normal if my timing is way off will it dump fuel still im trying to get ahold of another pmd to see if maggically the two that were working before decided not to any more i replaced the cam sensor when i redid it but then it pulled a code so i put old one back on and the only code i get out of the dtc is boost pressure wich is well cuz i switched to mechanical waste gate and did away with the vacuum pump. I have checked and cleaned all grounds and added grounds to ensure good grounding but that hasnt changed a thing when i first pulled the injection pump it was to the passanger side about 2-3 mm so when i installed it i put it about 1 mm to the passanger side and tried it back closer to passanger side more today and no diffrence. Now i gotta put a diffrent starter on it do to my well me not walking away like i should but any whos i just dont know why else there would be no fuel going to injectors there is fuel in the pump just not past it. Im gonna finishing the full tear down and rebuild of the stupid 7.3 motor and have it out of the shop before i figure out what stupid little thing this is haha

What did the cam and crank reference PIDs say while you where cranking it? That would be the last thing I would check. If that's good then it sounds like you have a PMD issue. Your timing sounds about right. The pump will command full advance to start which I believe is 12*. So with base timing specs at 3.5* it should be around 15-16* total at full advance. Your close enough where it should run. Timing won't cause no fuel to the injectors anyway. Hopefully a PMD will solve your issue.

Ok guys i found the one stupid little thing that held me up all this time and it was but wasnt the pmd. It finnaly dawned on me to hook the pmd up straight to the pump ie by pass the extension cable and gott to looking and there was a pin that got pushed in to far so i fixed the pin and hooked pmd up right to pump and and it fired immediately.... it runs perfectly like a champ so then i put the extention cable back on and it runs like garbage so all said and done the extension wire cable got messed up hmmm may have been what was giving me slight issue before.
Thanks guys for all the input this is a pretty good forum for these finicky 6.5s ill finnaly be back on the road shortly.

Back