• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5 exhaust brake

They call it a stock turbo lol...

But seriously our engines arent really built to take that kind of back pressure. Pretty hard on the crank IMO

Didn't somebody do one awhile back with a VVT turbo on a 6.5 by using the turbo as the brake? I'm sure it could be done, but it might be pretty hard on teh exhaust gaskets and crossover as most engines with an exhaust brake bolt it directly onto the cast manifold after the turbo. With a VVT turbo, you can close the vanes up and basically make the engine make a HUGE amount of boost which acts as an exhaust brake as well.

That would sound pretty wild with the VVT.

A V8 diesel hoover vacuum.

I looked up the fleabay brakes, they are modestly priced.... :eek: :rolleyes5:

So is the consensus that it would be hard on the exhaust? I can't see it being hard on the crank, since it should not be much more load than compression can generate... I was just wondering if it was a viable option since I haul heavy loads downhill.

You can try it, I will probably try it myself if/when I ever put a vvt on my truck. I just know our trucks have weak spots and lowering back pressure has kinda proven to lengthen the life of alot of 6.5's. Increasing it for short amounts of time might be fine.

With the NV4500 you should be able to get effective engine braking power

Under engine braking I doubt the extra backpressure would hurt anything. The extra heat combined with backpressure is what gives the blow torch effect that takes out other parts.

That is kind of what i was thinking. The exhaust would be relatively cold since i would not be on the throttle. It is quite a ways off, but i thought i would toss it out for discussion.

In my opinion these engines were not designed to handle that much back pressure. With that much pressure built up with a heavy load you risk blowby of the rings and stressing other engine components. That was the same response I had gotten from other members here when I had brought it up in question a while back. Although I would agree having one would be sweet.

-Nick

OK. Here is my next question. Has anyone ever installed, or seen installed, a driveline retarder. I would want to go electric. I know they are available on smaller busses. I found one on ebay installed in a ford bus body with a v10. they did not have any photos of the retarder ( It was a telma) but the driveshaft should have been about the same diameter as mine... I would consider building one, but balancing would be an issue.

OK. Here is my next question. Has anyone ever installed, or seen installed, a driveline retarder. I would want to go electric. I know they are available on smaller busses. I found one on ebay installed in a ford bus body with a v10. they did not have any photos of the retarder ( It was a telma) but the driveshaft should have been about the same diameter as mine... I would consider building one, but balancing would be an issue.

Never heard of it, but sounds interesting. Like putting an electric motor inline of the drivetrain. You could vary the load on the electric motor. Maybe use it to charge a bank of batteries?

I wouldn't use one on an automatic. TCC override and the engine alone is enough to slip and burn out the 2nd gear manual overrun clutches.

I would go with $100.00+ rear shoes and a proportioning valve if needed. (Valve update on Suburbans)

Just not worth it for compression braking on these old trucks and weak transmissions, except manuals.

In order to make the engine brake work on an auto trans you also have to incorporate some sort of TCC lockup control, otherwise it will just slip and you will not have any dynamic braking effect from the engine as it will be decoupled more or less from drive line as the torque converter slips/

Wonder if the electric brake retards the drivetrain after it? no need for TCC or stress on engine/trans

Back