• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5 carnage

Well I haven't pull it apart yet to confirm the carnage. But it's never good when the engine goes runaway and pukes about a quart of oil out of the intake. Leak down test produced a gargling sound out the oil fill tube.

Attachments

• 20170703_134556.jpg
    20170703_134556.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 31
A while ago, I posted a thread called "my oil pan just blew up". To those of you who speculated a connecting rod left the building, you were spot on. The connecting rod in the #8 cylinder completely disintegrated, leaving only shrapnel in the bottom end and trashing the motor. Have yet to pull the heads, not sure if they will be usable, the block is completely trashed and will take up more space in my shop until I can make a run to the scrap yard.

I was hoping to post pictures, but my computer running windows 7 will not recognize my iphone 5 as having any pictures to import. If anyone is tech savvy enough to help me work around this issue, I'd love to be able to post pictures. I still use a flip phone and inherited this now ancient iphone for the sole purpose of pictures and video for this engine tear down and p400 build that will hopefully begin in a few weeks.

I was able to get the devices to talk to each other. Here's some pics...

Shrapnel on oil pump pickup screen

Connecting rod blew through both sides of oil pan...

Iron blown off block where starter mounts

Where'd the rod go?!

I'll post more when I pull the heads and pistons. The crank seemed to be in otherwise fine shape. I was told by a long time 6.5 mechanic that this type of carnage can come from overspeeding the engine. I never took the motor to redline, and did run close to 3000 rpm when towing, given the 4.10 gears and all, but was under the impression that these motors were fine in that high 2k rpm range. I have a donor truck with 3.73 gears, so I'm considering a swap down the line. Need to get the truck back on the road with a new engine first though!

Gave me a good chuckle 😂

I do wonder if the pickup screen did save any metal from getting sucked up into the heads. Won't know if they're good/ cracked/ ruined until I pull them, but it was a nice tight motor for the few years I owned it. No coolant leaks (that I know of), always great oil pressure, always started in the cold. I installed brand new bosch injectors bought off ebay only 6k ago, is there any chance that this could have had anything to do with the rod blowing up? I thought injectors ruined a motor by leaking fuel past the rings and into the crankcase, which wouldn't happen with a new set; I'm pretty sure the old ones were the original ones! Just wondering if it's coincidence or just my bad luck.

Coincidence....

It will be interesting to see the piston & head/valves also...

That was a major failure for sure... might save up for 3:42 gears so the next one doesn't turn so many rpm's... and it will still be able to pull loads...

Thought mine was bad.
Man thats bad there.

Yeah at least your rod stayed in one piece! Now my block is a boat anchor and scrap ain't worth anything at the moment.

Pretty dead set on swapping out my 4.10s with the 3.73s in my donor truck, but I gotta get my new p400 in first! Build thread coming soon...

That come out the gm casting that i pulled out to replace with the optimizer. And your right scrap isnt worth toilet paper with skid marks and no brake pads lol i have a block with one fine crank in one main web i was told i could grind it out and weld it with a nickel rod or nickel wire

Stupid.
I’ve seen it sieze engines. He is to lazy to pull the injector and retrieve the broken part- smh

when it jams between valve and valve seat bending the pushrod- valve hit by piston.

Seen it jam between piston and cylinder wall and instantly lockup.

iirc purposely faulty work causing damage could lead to a court marshal. Done in war time could be hit with serious charges. Have a failure from it in a fire fight a few weeks after that asshat worked on it- that would be great.

Thousands of military mechanics bust their tails to ensure everything works the best it can. I’ve several friends that would whoop on him for doing that kind of thing, even now- years later.

Not to often mil. folks brag on their being lazy and sub par performance.

One man's extreme is another's routine, I guess. I can't remember off the top of my head what the -30/40 had to say about broken glow plugs in the 6.2 CUCV

Back