• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4wd Issue

Big T

Reaction score
So I had the Suburban parked out back and it rained. This morning my wife went to take it in for alignment and got it stuck where it was parked. I could tell by the pics she text that 4wd was not working. I got home late (7:30) and checked on it. The right half of the transfer case shift selection switch (4hi and 4lo) is dark and there is no indicator light for 2wd on the left side. This is post dropping the transfer case to pull lower control arms for new bushings. I did disconnect the plug to the 4wd actuator while doing that. Any ideas or suggested trouble shooting?

We got it unstuck using my wife's 4Runner and a tow strap. So it is going in for alignment tomorrow.

Which burb? Yours or your sons? Which case? Push button, floor shift? Which front actuator? The black pladtic one or the small metal one with just 2 wires?

My '99 Burb with push button transfer case. Front actuator is the black plastic one or electro servo actuator, not the thermo actuator.

Right half of the switch is dark, so I guess the first thing to check is the fuse for 4wd.

Here's a pic of the switch this AM...and of the whole switch using the flash.

Attachments

• IMG_6854.PNG
    IMG_6854.PNG
    26.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6844.JPG
    IMG_6844.JPG
    168 KB · Views: 4
That is the np-246 full time case(theres 2 different push button cases). Switches were alot of problems on those, but the encoder motor for the transfer case also gives alot of troubles. Gotta find out if it's even trying to shift or not. Check the fuses, if one is blown, see if it blows as soon as you replace it. If it does, un0lug the encoder motor and see if it blows right away again. When the fuse instantly blows, it's normally the actual shift motor in the encoder motor assembly that's failed. If it's shifting at the case, but not the front axle, then you're going to have to get a test light and check the cad motor. The black plastic ones normally don't fail, hut they do every once in awhile.

In the light of day, the problem was simple. No burnt fuses. Checked the actuator on the front axle and the wiring plug had pulled out. I did not get it locked in place.

I guessed on the steering tie rod length so the toe was off. The camber was also visibly off. So I took it in to an alignment shop. They spent 2 hours on it getting it aligned.

I re-read your original post - didn't catch the part about parking it where it was before your scheduled alignment - temporary brain fade. I thought you meant you had to have the 4Runner aligned after using the tow strap. oops

No, you got it right this time.

Basically, I parked the '99 Suburban in a low spot in the yard. The plug to the 4wd actuator had come loose and she buried it trying to get it out. With 4wd, I was able to pull my 27' fishing boat out through the same area and get it towed to a mechanic. My wife left huge ruts back there.

On a related note. Our 1998 K2500 Suburban has never gone into 4 wheel drive unless the front wheels turned a bit.

We had to get yanked out a few times because we got stuck, could not get it to rock at all and as soon as we moved a little it went into 4x4 and drove itself out. Once was on a sheet of ice covered by about 1/2" of snow.

Has anybody else experienced this?

I have not, personally. It could be, though, that if I have any doubt, I'll engage the 4wd before I get to that point of wonder. Usually, if I shut it off in a tight spot, or a spot that is questionable, I'll leave it engaged. I think the actuator might "relax" when there is no power, but whatever needs to be lined up for it to engage hasn't changed positions, so it should go right back in when I start the engine.

I have had the thermo actuators fail when most needed. This recent issue was on me for not getting the plug locked in.

No, you got it right this time.

Basically, I parked the '99 Suburban in a low spot in the yard. The plug to the 4wd actuator had come loose and she buried it trying to get it out. With 4wd, I was able to pull my 27' fishing boat out through the same area and get it towed to a mechanic. My wife left huge ruts back there.

Did you say honey how in the world did you bury our Burb?...:) Just funning a little. I can picture my wife burying something to the axle.

Got to tell a good one on me, since we are talking about burying one. Years ago before cell phones I was down on our farm goofing off in my 1987 S-10 4x4. There was a wet, swampy type area below one of the fish ponds. I was on one side of the branch and did not particularly want to drive down and cross at the culvert. I eyeballed the wet swampy area and dang it, I had always wanted to try and cross it, you know how young boys will try anything. I picked out the best looking area that I thought I could cross. I put the truck in 4 High and started in there. Before I knew it, the truck was was sunk to the body of the truck on the drivers side to the point where I almost couldn't open the drivers door. Of course I thought why in the H@&* did you do that knowing you probably couldn't do it. I thought about getting one of our tractors, but it was about as far away as my sister and brother in laws house. Of course with no cell phone I commenced to walking more than a quarter of a mile up through the hay field to see if my brother in law was at home. Luckily he was at home and what happened next is what is embarrassing. I had to explain what I had done and needed to be pulled out of the swamp. He laughed and we headed down there in his 1967 Chevy C-10, 4X4. With a little effort and luck he snatched my truck out of the muck. That my friends was the only and worst time I have ever been stuck in mud as far as being buried.

However, I thought I had buried my 2500HD one day on the deer lease property. My brother in law and I pulled into a bottom and I went in there a little too much, it was wetter than I thought. The front end sunk down and at that moment I put it in 4 HI. I tried to back up and it would only spin. I finally ended up rocking back and forth a few times before I got enough momentum to come out backwards. At that point I learned the valuable lesson that these trucks are heavy in the front and will sink down at nothing.

When I got home last night, there was a hand written sign taped to the door which said "2 wine glasses and a bottle
Cabernet. I'm in the bedroom."

You know how hard it was to carry a dozen roses, two wine glasses and an open bottle of Cabernet across the house?

We buried a 74 power wagon once. It was early in the spring and we wanted to get across this cleared field type area. We walked out there first and it felt pretty good. Started out across the field and pretty quick we could see waves forming in the ground. About that time bam right down to the body. Worst part was there was nothing close to get a hold of. Took awhile to get that out.

Back