• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4l80e and the differences between years

The correct way to do the lines would be to get a flaring tool, cut the lines, put a flare nut on, flare the line, thread a reducer on, and then make new lines to connect from your reducers to the trans. Most hydraulic hose is not safe at the temps that can be seen at the output line(280+ is not uncommon), they're fine after the fluid flows through the 1st cooler(hence why Gm ran all hard line from the trans to the radiator on many), but at the trans you have to use ptfe or hard line. As to the parking brake, I don't know of any conversions.

The control system is the same for all 4l80e's with 1 exception. 91-93 4l80e's used a different pressure control solenoid that required a clean8ng cycle every 10 seconds where the solenoid was stroked from full open to full closed and back to normal operation. In 94 they changed to a solenoid that didn't require it. Due to this cleaning cycle, there was a damper circuit built in to slow line pressure changes so the cleaning cycle didn't cause issues with pressure spikes. In 94 this circuit was eliminated. Sometime in the 21st century GM changed suppliers for the pressure control solenoid again, but it still works the same way. So 94+ 4l80e and 4l85e's all work identical electrically, and you can quickly make a 91-93 work with a later controller by changing the pressure solenoid to later style.

It was the 4l60e that seen so many changes through the years and keeps you on your toes, not the 4l80e. Many people have bought GM crate 4l85e's for the 06-07 duramax van, and put them into 94+ with no issues other than hooking up the cooler lines(they can be swapped into the earlier 91-93 with some mods as well).

I have a 93 6.5 TD K3500 dually I want to swap in a 97 4L80E from a 6.5 TD. What electronics would I have to change? Lines is no big deal. From what I've read I have a small standalone shift controller behind the glove box. 92 and 93 Turbo diesel do not have a PMD or any electronics on the engine. Just that controller for the trans. My cell is 757-803-2966. Need to know something in the few days.

I have a 93 6.5 TD K3500 dually I want to swap in a 97 4L80E from a 6.5 TD. What electronics would I have to change? Lines is no big deal. From what I've read I have a small standalone shift controller behind the glove box. 92 and 93 Turbo diesel do not have a PMD or any electronics on the engine. Just that controller for the trans. My cell is 757-803-2966. Need to know something in the few days.
The simple answer is it won't work. 91-93 4x4 4l80e's had both an jnput and output sensor in the trans, 94+ 4x4's do not have an output sensor(just a dummy plug to fill the hole) nor do they have the reluctor wheel to even trigger one. So the trans would not shift in 4 low range. Then you have the valve body and EPC differences between 91-93 and 94+. I would say just put an aftermarket trans controller in it, but then were back to it not shifting in 4 low as your 93 transfer case doesn't have a switch in it to tell when it is in 4 low like all 94+ transfer cases have, so you would have to also do the transfer case. 91-93 should be looked at as a different trans from 94+.

If he did it with the aftermarket controller then used a remote position sensor on the linkage under the truck it could work. But that is some annoying wiring, decent fabrication skils, and an industrial position sensor that will be expensive.

I had to do this on some custom builds way back when in the truck equipment shop. Not a pleasant task. I think some of the atlas transfer cases had an option for it iirc.

98 k3500 with a 7.4 got a 07 4l80e out of a 6.0 will it work? Internal wiring harness needs to be replaced on the 07 trans as it was damaged on removal. Went to buy a new one and I saw the harness changed after 03 to the new style. Thanks in advance

For sure you'll have to change torque converters, if the splines are compatible. As for the rest of it, our resident transmission expert, @THEFERMANATOR should be chiming in shortly with if that swap can even work, and if so what must be changed over to work.

For sure you'll have to change torque converters, if the splines are compatible. As for the rest of it, our resident transmission expert, @THEFERMANATOR should be chiming in shortly with if that swap can even work, and if so what must be changed over to work.
6.0 used a high stall and the 7.4 used a low stall right?

The 6.0l uses a single stator high stall, the 7.4l used the single stator low stall. You'll want to get a converter for a 98+ for the 07 trans as you will NOT like the 6.0l converter behind a 7.4l. I believe it is a gm88 converter for a 98+ low stall, I like the model that ends in BP with the billet piston. The internal harness changed from 03 to 04 as the connector on the epc changed in 04, the actual plug and pinout stayed the same, so buy an 04 internal harness.

The 6.0l uses a single stator high stall, the 7.4l used the single stator low stall. You'll want to get a converter for a 98+ for the 07 trans as you will NOT like the 6.0l converter behind a 7.4l. I believe it is a gm88 converter for a 98+ low stall, I like the model that ends in BP with the billet piston. The internal harness changed from 03 to 04 as the connector on the epc changed in 04, the actual plug and pinout stayed the same, so buy an 04 internal harness.
Dang it man. How does Your head retain all of that knowledge ?
I cant even remember if I put on My socks this morning. 🤷‍♂️😹😹😹

I stalked the forums looking for info on how high the year you could go with compatibility with my truck and just couldn't seem to find any info on it. Took the advise of a guy at Collis truck parts in PA saying an 07 would fit in my truck. Just wanted to get a second opinion from the forum experts. I appreciate all the help @THEFERMANATOR

The simple answer is it won't work. 91-93 4x4 4l80e's had both an jnput and output sensor in the trans, 94+ 4x4's do not have an output sensor(just a dummy plug to fill the hole) nor do they have the reluctor wheel to even trigger one. So the trans would not shift in 4 low range. Then you have the valve body and EPC differences between 91-93 and 94+. I would say just put an aftermarket trans controller in it, but then were back to it not shifting in 4 low as your 93 transfer case doesn't have a switch in it to tell when it is in 4 low like all 94+ transfer cases have, so you would have to also do the transfer case. 91-93 should be looked at as a different trans from 94+.
hey, i have a 1993 6.5td c3500 dually and the trans wont go in forward gears. now i have a 96 6.5td k2500 too. both have the 4l80 with over under trans cooler lines. would i be able to put the 96 trans in my 93 since it does not have 4wd so the 4low range would not be and issue?

hey, i have a 1993 6.5td c3500 dually and the trans wont go in forward gears. now i have a 96 6.5td k2500 too. both have the 4l80 with over under trans cooler lines. would i be able to put the 96 trans in my 93 since it does not have 4wd so the 4low range would not be and issue?
You would have to use your 93 valve body as the EPC solenoid is different as well as the accumulator housing.

Whoa, just read your post! Let me understand, you're wanting to put a '96 4WD pickup (K2500) 4L80E transmission into a '93 2WD (C3500) 4L80E pickup? That will NOT physically work! Totally different tail shafts/housings that require a complete teardown of both transmissions to swap! Are you planning on trying to convert the 93 to 4WD? If so, you're better off just buying a '93 K3500 (if you can even find one) or other year 4WD. Otherwise, get the '93's transmission rebuilt, you'll be way farther ahead $$$'s-wise and labor/effort-wise that trying to swap the two transmissions! I think @THEFERMANATOR missed that part about the swap across from K-series to C-series. From year to year is fairly easily doable if both the same drive, not from drive to drive, even if the same year, because of the major physical differences both internally and externally with the tailshafts/housings to mount the transfer case.

Last edited:
Whoa, just read your post! Let me understand, you're wanting to put a '96 4WD pickup (K2500) 4L80E transmission into a '93 2WD (C3500) 4L80E pickup? That will NOT physically work! Totally different tail shafts/housings that require a complete teardown of both transmissions to swap! Are you planning on trying to convert the 93 to 4WD? If so, you're better off just buying a '93 K3500 (if you can even find one) or other year 4WD. Otherwise, get the '93's transmission rebuilt, you'll be way farther ahead $$$'s-wise and labor/effort-wise that trying to swap the two transmissions! I think @THEFERMANATOR missed that part about the swap across from K-series to C-series. From year to year is fairly easily doable if both the same drive, not from drive to drive, even if the same year, because of the major physical differences both internally and externally with the tailshafts/housings to mount the transfer case.
I assumed he meant both were 2 wheel drive. Many people do not know C=4x2 and K=4x4, or think that C&K is a year difference.

I really do not understand why so many want to swap transmissions instead of repairing there old one. Why put one in that could go at any time when you could have your old one rebuilt and know it's the right trans.

Back