• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4l80e and the differences between years

Bigmoney2015

Reaction score
Need some help. I bought a 1999 chevy k2500. The 90s bodystyle but the transmission is out. What model year transmissions will drop in and work? I have been told that only 99 and 2000 will work but that just doesnt quite sound right to me. So if you could please clarify for me that would be great.

97 and up so l9ng as you have the correct liw stall converter will work. 95-96 will also work, but the cooler lines cinnect differently. 97- early 99 was one style, then mid year 99 saw many improvements, but they all still interchange(99 can actually have 2 different styles). The late 99 on unit seen many internal improvements. But again, 97+ will work. Even one from behind a newer 6.0l will work, it'll just have the extra mounting bolt hole on top in the 12 o clock position, you just have to swap in the right converter for the 6.5l/454.

There were no changes in the wiring and tcm? The guy I was going to get the transmission from swears that he talked to some "transmission" guys at a local shop and they said it wouldn't shift right because of the difference in years and changes in internal wiring and so forth. Another question I have is how hard is it to replace the pump on a 4l80? I am a mechanic by trade but have never been inside a transmission. That is really the only thing wrong with the transmission in my truck I just don't know if it is something I can do myself. Thanks for your input.

TCM was the same from 91 - 93 in the trucks . Switched in 94 and up . You have a 99 and a TCM ?

The control system is the same for all 4l80e's with 1 exception. 91-93 4l80e's used a different pressure control solenoid that required a clean8ng cycle every 10 seconds where the solenoid was stroked from full open to full closed and back to normal operation. In 94 they changed to a solenoid that didn't require it. Due to this cleaning cycle, there was a damper circuit built in to slow line pressure changes so the cleaning cycle didn't cause issues with pressure spikes. In 94 this circuit was eliminated. Sometime in the 21st century GM changed suppliers for the pressure control solenoid again, but it still works the same way. So 94+ 4l80e and 4l85e's all work identical electrically, and you can quickly make a 91-93 work with a later controller by changing the pressure solenoid to later style.

It was the 4l60e that seen so many changes through the years and keeps you on your toes, not the 4l80e. Many people have bought GM crate 4l85e's for the 06-07 duramax van, and put them into 94+ with no issues other than hooking up the cooler lines(they can be swapped into the earlier 91-93 with some mods as well).

I have an 06 3500 4L80E 2-wheel drive WT I need a transmission and can only afford one from a junk yard what all trucks will fit?

Found a 2002 2500 with 5.7 liter van with a 4l80 e will it fit my 06 Chevy 3500 two wheel drive 6 liter.
Maybe, you need to make sure it has the mounting bolt hole at the 12 o clock position on the bell housing side. The 5.7l didn't use that bolt, but LS engines do. You'll also need a comverter because the 5.7l got a mid stall, and the 6.0l got a high stall.

Not trying to hijack this post but can I get in on a question Ive been wondering about?
I bought an optimizer out of a Humvee and a 4l80e as well and Im going to put it in my 2000/ 6.5 / 2500 4x4 . will it be a direct swap with the 4l80e? it is a 2007.

Not trying to hijack this post but can I get in on a question Ive been wondering about?
I bought an optimizer out of a Humvee and a 4l80e as well and Im going to put it in my 2000/ 6.5 / 2500 4x4 . will it be a direct swap with the 4l80e? it is a 2007.
It will plug right in and work. You will probably have to swap the nsbu switch(switch on the shift linkage) because 07 is a single pmug and 00 is a dual plug, and remember your trans is an 07 if you ever need parts because there was some supplier changes around 05. But functionally they're the same.

It will plug right in and work. You will probably have to swap the nsbu switch(switch on the shift linkage) because 07 is a single pmug and 00 is a dual plug, and remember your trans is an 07 if you ever need parts because there was some supplier changes around 05. But functionally they're the same.
Thanks Fermanator, this info should make the swap a lot easier to do. Cant wait to put them in.

I have a 1997 Chevy, C3500HD 6.5L Turbo Diesel, Crew Cab, Cab and Chassis with a 4L80. The oil cooler lines are spaced between the front and the rear. Can anyone tell me how to adapt the lines to 1996 4L80 with over and under oil cooler lines? I know that I am probably over thinking this question but I would appreciate any input y'all can give. I appreciate it!

I have a 1997 Chevy, C3500HD 6.5L Turbo Diesel, Crew Cab, Cab and Chassis with a 4L80. The oil cooler lines are spaced between the front and the rear. Can anyone tell me how to adapt the lines to 1996 4L80 with over and under oil cooler lines? I know that I am probably over thinking this question but I would appreciate any input y'all can give. I appreciate it!

Daniel3485, I am sure some of these 6.5L guys will respond to you with some expert advice in due time.

by the way, Welcome to The truck Stop.

Thank you for your help but would you happen to know how I would need to adapt them? I thought of that but the idea of just cutting the lines down to length, placing a rubber hose and some clamps on each one of them just doesn't seem logical as I'm sure 1 is under pressure, if not both.

Just swedge the line where you cut it and buy quality screw style clamps or use the stainless double safety wire method.
Both will be under same pressure.

If you want to you could buy adaptive fittings to do it, but that will be more expensive and no real advantage.

Even more expensive but would last for ever is getting accurate length measurements and have hydraulic hoses made. Just bring the existing line ends to the hydraulic shop with measurements.

You're going to have to cut your old lines and adapt them down from I believe the 3/8" quick connect your 97 lines are down to the 5/16" flared connection used on 96 and older.
Just out of curiosity, the parking brake I have on the tail of my transmission, could I convert it all over to a rotor and pads?

Back