• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4l80e and the differences between years

THEFERMANATOR

FRANKENBURBAN
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
The correct way to do the lines would be to get a flaring tool, cut the lines, put a flare nut on, flare the line, thread a reducer on, and then make new lines to connect from your reducers to the trans. Most hydraulic hose is not safe at the temps that can be seen at the output line(280+ is not uncommon), they're fine after the fluid flows through the 1st cooler(hence why Gm ran all hard line from the trans to the radiator on many), but at the trans you have to use ptfe or hard line. As to the parking brake, I don't know of any conversions.

Diverdmt

Reaction score
The control system is the same for all 4l80e's with 1 exception. 91-93 4l80e's used a different pressure control solenoid that required a clean8ng cycle every 10 seconds where the solenoid was stroked from full open to full closed and back to normal operation. In 94 they changed to a solenoid that didn't require it. Due to this cleaning cycle, there was a damper circuit built in to slow line pressure changes so the cleaning cycle didn't cause issues with pressure spikes. In 94 this circuit was eliminated. Sometime in the 21st century GM changed suppliers for the pressure control solenoid again, but it still works the same way. So 94+ 4l80e and 4l85e's all work identical electrically, and you can quickly make a 91-93 work with a later controller by changing the pressure solenoid to later style.

It was the 4l60e that seen so many changes through the years and keeps you on your toes, not the 4l80e. Many people have bought GM crate 4l85e's for the 06-07 duramax van, and put them into 94+ with no issues other than hooking up the cooler lines(they can be swapped into the earlier 91-93 with some mods as well).
I have a 93 6.5 TD K3500 dually I want to swap in a 97 4L80E from a 6.5 TD. What electronics would I have to change? Lines is no big deal. From what I've read I have a small standalone shift controller behind the glove box. 92 and 93 Turbo diesel do not have a PMD or any electronics on the engine. Just that controller for the trans. My cell is 757-803-2966. Need to know something in the few days.

THEFERMANATOR

FRANKENBURBAN
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
I have a 93 6.5 TD K3500 dually I want to swap in a 97 4L80E from a 6.5 TD. What electronics would I have to change? Lines is no big deal. From what I've read I have a small standalone shift controller behind the glove box. 92 and 93 Turbo diesel do not have a PMD or any electronics on the engine. Just that controller for the trans. My cell is 757-803-2966. Need to know something in the few days.
The simple answer is it won't work. 91-93 4x4 4l80e's had both an jnput and output sensor in the trans, 94+ 4x4's do not have an output sensor(just a dummy plug to fill the hole) nor do they have the reluctor wheel to even trigger one. So the trans would not shift in 4 low range. Then you have the valve body and EPC differences between 91-93 and 94+. I would say just put an aftermarket trans controller in it, but then were back to it not shifting in 4 low as your 93 transfer case doesn't have a switch in it to tell when it is in 4 low like all 94+ transfer cases have, so you would have to also do the transfer case. 91-93 should be looked at as a different trans from 94+.

Will L.

Reaction score
If he did it with the aftermarket controller then used a remote position sensor on the linkage under the truck it could work. But that is some annoying wiring, decent fabrication skils, and an industrial position sensor that will be expensive.

I had to do this on some custom builds way back when in the truck equipment shop. Not a pleasant task. I think some of the atlas transfer cases had an option for it iirc.