• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4l80 transmission

Fon johnson

04 2500 hd
Reaction score
Does any body know what it will take to put a 4l80 transmission and tcase out of a 98 gmc in to a 2005 chevy 2500hd im a little concerned with the tow houl button the 98 dosint have 1 and the 05 does any suggestions b4 i jump into this

THEFERMANATOR

FRANKENBURBAN
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
The trans will bolt in with the exception of the 12 o clock mounting bolt. Tow/haul mode is just a separate shift table that is switchable. As to the transfer case, that is probably a different story.

Fon johnson

04 2500 hd
Reaction score
So will the transfercase out of the 05 work with the transmission out of the 98 i have both and both are push button i bought the 98 it has 15000 original miles but no title the guy passed away and its ashame bc this truck dont have a bubbel in the paint no where i was going to swap moter in all it's the 454 but im more of a 6.0 guy myself so im just going use the transmission i just need to figer out what all is going to couse me problems b4 i start im trying to keep this a 1 day job

THEFERMANATOR

FRANKENBURBAN
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
The 05 transfer case will bolt right up. The 4l80e will also bolt up, but you'll only have 5 bolts instead of 6. You'll have to de-burr the shift shaft's and swap the NSBU's, check the trans cooler fittings, but I believe both have the same threads into the case. Just keep in mind if you need parts you have a 98 as the harness and EPC solenoid changed in 04. The big hurdle will be the torque converter. The 454 converter is WAY to low a stall for the 6.0l, and if your other trans has many miles you do not want to re-use that converter. Also keep in mind to NOT use dex 6 fluid as the seals in the 98 are incompatible with it. If it was mine I would stick with your 05's trans and have it rebuilt. A trans that has sat for a long time most likely has hardened seals in it. Not to mention the 98 will not have the better high energy clutches in it.