• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!
GM revealed the new 2019 1500 "Trail Boss" yesterday via a helicopter...

https://www.autoblog.com/2017/12/16/2019-chevy-silverado-trail-boss/?hcid=ab-around-ab-tile-5

I'm really on the fence if I like it.. I want to see a LTZ/High Country with a painted front end to see how it blends before I jump to any conclusions.

I'm pretty sure I read the Trail Boss comes with a 2" factory suspension lift..

View attachment 51403
Cripes, 2018 is just here and they already have the 2019's out.:rolleyes:

I am definitely not a fan of the grille, bumper and front fender lines as shown below. Whoever deigned that must have had a horrid hangover that Monday back at work. The bold vertical line just doesn't fit with the rest of the truck at all being 2-tone. Maybe mono will draw less attention and look better?

The rest of the truck, eh its ok. I agree with others, closest brother is a Tundra. And the front is similar to the new 2019 RAM.
jacoebr.png

Holy crap, they're changing the body style already??

I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that ford and GM are actually "partners", of sorts. New vehicles seem to have so many similarities back and forth that I find it hard to believe there are this many coincidences. Model changes are very costly - I wonder what one of the older body style trucks would cost if they would hang onto all the old tooling, etc.

Reminds me of a ford, too.

Thankfully, it looks like they've finally gotten away from the square wheel well openings. They have gotten increasingly more squared off with every model change. This last one in 2014 was really bad, in my opinion. Round tire in square opening wasn't a good look.

Tailpipes out the back? Worthless! Always a clear way to identify a truck that is rarely, if ever, used as a truck. Proof? Who really wants to stand behind a truck, in that area, when backing up to a trailer, or backing under a camper? No one in their right mind enjoys sucking up exhaust. Tailpipes exit the side on trucks, period, not the back.

I despise fords, but they'll look pretty good if this is all GM can come up with for the HD models in the future.

Rant over.

Last edited:
Been doing some more research, and one of thecreps at the auto show confirmed it will be an inline 6 diesel that is all new from the ground up building off of there new diesel program(guessing they're referencing all the new tech going into the L5P). It will also be backed by the new 10l90 transmission, and GM hasn't announced the power figured, but has said it will have class leading power.

Been doing some more research, and one of thecreps at the auto show confirmed it will be an inline 6 diesel that is all new from the ground up building off of there new diesel program(guessing they're referencing all the new tech going into the L5P). It will also be backed by the new 10l90 transmission, and GM hasn't announced the power figured, but has said it will have class leading power.

I can't wait to drive one!

So power at what new level- 800 hp 1400 torque?!?
It will keep climbing as if it is usable- haha.

With doors and tailgate aluminum for weight savings for better mpg- while they bash fords aluminum bed. What about capping the power gains and focus on power at a set level and start improving mpg and cleaner burns through more efficient burn?

GM had the amazing run of the sbc from the mid 50 for about 50 years! That made them so amazingly profitable. Pick a good design diesel and just refine it for a decade or so and it would dominate just like the gasser did.

Dodge with cummins should have done the same thing. I remember talking to a cummins engineer that worked on that. The original needed a couple of tweeks to work in the dodge pickup, and the first couple years dodge made so few changes to the engine it just worked. Then a few years into it he said they just were making them change stuff literally just to wow people in the reveal he said he wanted to just make a big cover that went over the entire engine that looked cool and left the engine be. They wouldn’t have it. He said they literally wanted a list of 50 points of “improvement” regardless if it was actually better. Dumb.

So power at what new level- 800 hp 1400 torque?!?
It will keep climbing as if it is usable- haha.

With doors and tailgate aluminum for weight savings for better mpg- while they bash fords aluminum bed. What about capping the power gains and focus on power at a set level and start improving mpg and cleaner burns through more efficient burn?

GM had the amazing run of the sbc from the mid 50 for about 50 years! That made them so amazingly profitable. Pick a good design diesel and just refine it for a decade or so and it would dominate just like the gasser did.

Dodge with cummins should have done the same thing. I remember talking to a cummins engineer that worked on that. The original needed a couple of tweeks to work in the dodge pickup, and the first couple years dodge made so few changes to the engine it just worked. Then a few years into it he said they just were making them change stuff literally just to wow people in the reveal he said he wanted to just make a big cover that went over the entire engine that looked cool and left the engine be. They wouldn’t have it. He said they literally wanted a list of 50 points of “improvement” regardless if it was actually better. Dumb.
The 1500 diesels right now are 240-250 hp, and 440-445 torque last I checked. I don't believe Nissan counts in that since there Titan xd or whatever it is is in between a 1500 and 2500. This isn't the HD marketplace. And if a manufacturer left an engine alone, they would be gone in no time. Between emissions, the power war, and trying to 1 up to keep people buying, it will never happen. The Cummins was behind the pack for quite awhile in HP, but made up for it in torque, but that still wasn't enough for them to edge out Ford. Then when the Duramax came out, it changed the game for everybody. But in a sense, the duramax did remain largely the same from 01-10 as there is ALOT of parts interchangability with them, and theres still quite a bit in common with the 11-16. The duramax ran from 2001-2016 before it seen it's 1st large design change, so a 15 year run isn't too shabby of just improvements.

I think GM has the best engine and transmission package as far as the 3/4 ton diesels.

Can somebody just build a half ton or compact diesel truck that gets 35 plus mpg, please?

I have the 2006, Chevy 2500hd , D/A that will do anything that I could ever want it to do as far as towing, GM just give me a diesel daily driver that I can use and get good fuel mileage. Otherwise, I might as well go GAS.

I think GM has the best engine and transmission package as far as the 3/4 ton diesels.

Can somebody just build a half ton or compact diesel truck that gets 35 plus mpg, please?

I have the 2006, Chevy 2500hd , D/A that will do anything that I could ever want it to do as far as towing, GM just give me a diesel daily driver that I can use and get good fuel mileage. Otherwise, I might as well go GAS.
With our current emission regs, the public's demand for power, and the trucks continually getting bigger, I doubt we'll see 35mpg out of a full size anytime soon. Even the colorado with the 4 cylinder is still only in the same ballpark as the Dodge 1500 ecodiesel, so I could easily foresee this 1500 diesel quickly replacing the mid size diesel. But even the old 6.2, naturally aspirated, manual trans, with ridiculous highway gears was still under 30 mpg. You just can't fight physics but so much, and it takes X amount of power to propel a truck, it takes power to push it, and fuel to make power.

Some power numbers mentioned about the new GM 1500 3 Liter Inline Diesel. They claim it will beat Dodge and Ford, for whatever that's worth, maybe bragging rights. Specs to be 277 hp and 460 lb-ft of torque, so the article says.

I am curious about the fuel mileage, just give us some stats on that.

One other thing I really took notice of the other day as I saw one in a parking lot was the side mirrors are based on the face of the door and not in the window corner. Wonder if there will be any options for towing mirrors? IMO they are forcing you into a 3/4 ton to be able to safely see around your trailer. It didn't look like they extended in anyway?

Yeah, blowing out the bumper is not all that great for those hitching up a trailer . . . I do not care how 'clean' the exhaust is, having it blow in your face is just unacceptable 🤮 #1 mod of the Ferd's with straight-back exhaust is to turn it out the side.

So, score 1 more for GM copying questionable ideas from the competition . . .

Last edited:
Oh, and I just saw a new 150. While the exhaust still exits out the side, it routes close enough to the spare that there is a heat shield around ~1/4 of the tire. Am wondering which bean counter did the math on that one . . .

So, lets see how long until other manufacturers copy-cat . . .

Back