• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2008 GMC Envoy Denali

Since we are on the band wagon I am waiting for the I6 Ford haha.

Wow! That's going back a little bit. I don't think that turbo build is ever going to happen now. I need to refocus on 6.5 stuff.

Grab yourself a little bit of the black wire loom, did this when I installed a aftermarket controller on my father-in-law's F150 and it looks much sleeker than the rainbow of wires. Another trick I have done was drill a small hole in the kick panel, put in a rubber grommet and run the wires directly in hidden by the case of the controller. Of course I can't find pics of either of these (stupid photo bucket issues).

Cant wait to see this thing in action!

Good call, I should wrap those wires with something. The controller itself is removable (which is nice because I only need 1 controller for all of the trucks) so I'll have to think about how I want the wires to be secured when the controller is removed and wrap the wires accordingly.

Two happy things to report:

1. There hasn’t been any noticable oil loss in the past week. Yes, the oil loss was bad enough that I could see it after a week of driving. I may still have a questionable valve stem seal because I get a haze at start up periodically, but I’ll live with that for now.

2. I did a test run towing and it does fine. It isn’t an awesome tow vehicle by any means, but it does the job. It kind of reminds me of people towing campers with station wagons back in the day. It’s interesting towing with a cam and stall converter - it’s happiest shifting at about 4500 and you never really see less than 3000 rpm. Funny living in an rpm tange where I’d be shifting the Tahoe. Looks like I’m ready for towing in 2 weeks!

516C0B24-2BEA-4AED-A407-D005FCFF932F.jpeg25B04AF4-4B20-4DB9-861F-E582695368F0.jpeg

Something neat I found was that I could use the air pump that we keep in the camper for bike tires to inflate the air bags. It only took 15 pumps to get from the normal 5psi to the max 25 psi.

764356D7-2A5A-427E-A561-F0479E6B50D1.jpeg

Glad it performed. How good do those strap on mirrors perform? We were gonna buy a small camper to tow with the JKU but when I strapped on the little mirrors I hated them. Tough going from towing mirrors to those. Then we got a big trailer anyways so it eliminated the jeep as a TV.

Glad it performed. How good do those strap on mirrors perform? We were gonna buy a small camper to tow with the JKU but when I strapped on the little mirrors I hated them. Tough going from towing mirrors to those. Then we got a big trailer anyways so it eliminated the jeep as a TV.
The mirrors aren't awesome, but they do the job. They were what I used on the Tahoe as well for towing the camper. The worst part is having to readjust them every time you strap them on because the head either got bumped while removed or they're not in the exact same location on the door. But you can see around the trailer and that's the important part. I will say they worked a TON better on the Tahoe than the ones that slide onto the GMT400 mirrors - these were a HUGE upgrade from those if that helps.

I have one of those that was in a camp trailer I bought years ago, I tucked away somewhere in the pile.

I keep thinking, You would be inflating a tire with a theoretical perfect mix of air and unburned fuel. It takes a descent amount to fill a tire, then compressing it from 30-100psi depending on tire. Talk about a BLOW OUT.

Why do I get the felling the company making these got sued into oblivion after a dude lighting a cigarette next to a leaky tire or hose blew himself to smithereens!?!

I have one of those that was in a camp trailer I bought years ago, I tucked away somewhere in the pile.

I keep thinking, You would be inflating a tire with a theoretical perfect mix of air and unburned fuel. It takes a descent amount to fill a tire, then compressing it from 30-100psi depending on tire. Talk about a BLOW OUT.

Why do I get the felling the company making these got sued into oblivion after a dude lighting a cigarette next to a leaky tire or hose blew himself to smithereens!?!
^^^What he said!^^^🌋🔥

I’ve never heard of the spark plug filler before. Sounds like a good idea....until you really think about it, then it makes your butt pucker! I suppose it would be nice in an emergency, but then again, it might cause a second emergency. 😬

Took the time to do a little headlight restoration today. They were getting a bit yellow and hazy and I was seeing that the low beams sucked now that it’s getting dark sooner at night. So I used the Sylvania headlight restoration kit on them and they turned out pretty well. Hopefully the UV block clear coat they provide holds up well. I also installed the LED headlights from the Tahoe to give me even more lumens, so when I put the headlights back in I should have some really nice night vision.

88A93061-954B-4CDA-AEC9-2795753A748E.jpeg

Before

D553ECCF-89A2-4455-9902-915BCD47C1C0.jpegA939CBED-E274-4706-B0A0-97ADAB2921A2.jpeg

After

93E45BF6-3AB6-4FF5-83C0-8997262AA9B1.jpeg20379737-822F-4F7B-A617-D4A34A1A4641.jpeg

Well this isn’t the view I was supposed to see last night.

6B048EA4-3676-452F-BCE6-96C47CCF960C.jpeg

About 20 minutes from home the Envoy developed a misfire. It was 10 degrees warmer yesterday than when I did my test. Everything under the hood was super hot thanks to the headers. We made it home ok and then I swapped tow vehicles. Then the IDI was overheating too, so we had to drive with the AC off and the windows open (first world problems, I know). I think the radiator is to blame (and it looks to be threatening to leak so it’s time to replace anyway) so I have a new one ordered, ready to install when I get home. So we got to the campground 2 hours later than planned and got to set up in the dark. The drive home is supposed to be cooler and I’m going to remove the winch bracket to see if that’s blocking airflow as well. This camping to relax thing is stressful!!

As far as the Envoy goes, I’m suspecting plug wires. I read on TBSS forums about this being a problem with headers. I thought the heat boots on the MSD wires would be ok, but I guess not. Accel wires with ceramic boots are supposed to be the ticket, so I guess I’ll get a set of those ordered. Check out this review on the Accel wires. Sound familiar??

33160F89-24C0-4681-A446-D06F61D54E8E.png

Well, this isn’t Envoy related, but since I started the story here I’ll continue it. Here’s a pic of the Farmadillo and the camper in the daylight.

200EE967-E7A7-4AAD-BEB2-E2FCFD96B3E3.jpeg

Yesterday I removed the winch mount from the front bumper and today was the drive home. The truck maintained temps much better today. It was 10 degrees colder outside (75 instead of 85) so that certainly helped, but I was also able to have the AC on the whole way home and still the temps were ok. And yes, 75 and we had the air on - not only does it keep the interior quieter in an already loud ride since the windows were closed, but it’s a humid 75 as evidenced by all the condensation under the truck after I parked it.

94AF6B52-1CA5-41FA-91E5-F68E83CC0A57.jpeg

I was thinking about this more today and realized I never did hear the fan kick on the other day even though it was hot and starved from air through the grill, so I think the clutch fan is also bad. I guess I’ll throw one of those on while I’m at it. I’ll continue this saga in the truck’s build thread.

Now as for the Envoy, I went to start it when we got unpacked to see if it was going to be ok to drive to work tomorrow and the battery was dead. Dammit! I left that Google phone running the Torque Pro app plugged in the last 4 days. Even when the screen isn’t on the battery still likes to drain on it for some reason so I’m sure it was draining the truck’s battery that whole time. Luckily a quick charge and it fired up ok. It should be ok for the drive to work, but I’m going to get those Accel wires ordered this week and installed ASAP.

Back