• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!
I have one also its a 2004 and I have a 3.5k genset mounted to it.
Yours looks more complete than mine. I like your canvas cover and the genset idea. I just have some homemade plywood sides. This summer I’d like to take the box off mine and clean up some rest areas on the frame before they get too bad. Also need to get the parking brakes working better, they bind up pretty good right now. Overall it’s been a great utility hauler since I got rid of my dually. Have you pulled the front bolts and used it as a dump? I know it’s not intended for it but it works great when dumping firewood.

Attachments

• 7ABB11DE-8097-4C3F-9A0D-7C181ACF74EE.jpeg
    7ABB11DE-8097-4C3F-9A0D-7C181ACF74EE.jpeg
    233 KB · Views: 4
Yours looks more complete than mine. I like your canvas cover and the genset idea. I just have some homemade plywood sides. This summer I’d like to take the box off mine and clean up some rest areas on the frame before they get too bad. Also need to get the parking brakes working better, they bind up pretty good right now. Overall it’s been a great utility hauler since I got rid of my dually. Have you pulled the front bolts and used it as a dump? I know it’s not intended for it but it works great when dumping firewood.
Yes and have to put a pin in the surge unit so I can back up hills without the brakes locking. I installed the military trailer harness socket and wired it to 30 amp aux harness on the Burb and still have the civilian socket for towing w/ball hitch.

A word of caution on stripping the CARC paint "it can kill you slowly if you breathe any of the dust" there is a stripper available for CARC paint and it should be done on a heavy tarp that can be disposed of properly. There are CARC paint substitutes available on the bay that are user friendly. I suspect you have the powdery flicking of the CARC "I do" and I'll be doing the stripping and repainting of the unit myself.

Last edited:
That carc is no joke, Be cautious.

And yes, they were designed to dump. The mil instructions were to get out l, set both brakes, remove pins, and reverse to dump. Many guys would snag or loose a pin then they would have accidental dumps (the other kind of a.d.). So a bunch of bases made them replace pin wih bolts so it couldn’t happen.

There are some guys making cool camp trailers and stuff out of them. I was thinking of a slide in camper for one, but the wifey didn’t think it looked as cool as her old shasta.
Bunch of hummer guys get them and put a roof to match their wagon hummer, including paint and rims. Looks pretty cool imo. You guys should paint and rim to match your trucks.

Thanks for the heads up on the paint. I had no idea. I haven’t decided how far I’m gonna go yet. The box is in good shape but the frame needs some help in a few areas. I’ll look into that carc stripper before I get started on it. Making another trip with it this weekend to the parents cabin to load up some firewood and haul out some slash cleanup.

Paying to have one of the pro blasting companies do it may be worth it. There is a guy here that had his complete one done for $300. He brought to a location they were already doing other stuff on and left it there 2 days so they did it in parts while waiting on other stuff to be moved around. Also told the owner since it wasn’t perfect body, he wouldn’t mind a few errors so ok to train a newby on it. It came out way better than expected.

I might just do that my local powder coating guy has a massive room for just that. I do have access to tan CARC paint which can be either sprayed or brushed on.

I have yet to find the reason for the CARC on my trailer is flaking and area where it flakes off there is a white powdery substance between the steel and the paint, any thoughts from the crew here?

White is the color of aluminum oxide (similar to rust on steel) so maybe that? Just a wild guess.
Good thought however it is all steel construction M101a3 box & M116a3 chassis built in 2004 and I've never seen this flaking and white powder substance under the paint on any other military vehicle. Rust appears soon after the paint cracks and Flakes I'm only guessing because the paint is CARC and chemical resistant the primer was not compatable so I need to bring it down to the metal perhaps apply ospro but not sure the CARC will even stick to it.

Last edited:
Got fenders trimmed (no more rubbing) and finally washed it. it's only been a year and half. But it sure came out pretty nice for 15 years old and 221k on the body. I also reprogrammed the TPMS to the correct PSI and got the wiring for my DSP5 switch connected to the ECM. Now I just need to flash the DSP5 tuning.IMG_4871.jpgIMG_4876.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Got fenders trimmed (no more rubbing) and finally washed it. it's only been a year and half. But it sure came out pretty nice for 15 years old and 221k on the body. I also reprogrammed the TPMS to the correct PSI and got the wiring for my DSP5 switch connected to the ECM. Now I just need to flash the DSP5 tuning.
Yep, that one of a kind Burb is so AWESOME!

Hey all, so it's been a bit since I've been on here... Burb is still doing great. Finally got the winch mounted (Warn M12000) Did an overland camping trip last summer and unfortunately got some new pin-striping so I'll have to work on that, but truck did fantastic.
IMG_7055.jpg IMG_7061.jpgIMG_7068.jpg 60886692032__C8354441-F6F1-4CB3-8853-73002593F932.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7068.jpg
    IMG_7068.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 0
Back