• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!
Duncan’s just about a hour north of me. I work all around that area and we have done a crap ton of work at the BMW plant there over the years.

Where are you getting your trailer from? We had to go to Georgia a couple weeks ago to get a trailer for the company because nobody around here had any anymore and didn’t know when the next shipment was coming in.

Well, if you're looking for a horse trailer or combo horse/camping trailer, there's about 2,000 of them here in Lincoln right now all parked at the campground or stables at the Lancaster County Event Center for the National High School Rodeo Finals that wrap up on the 24th. They're from all over the US, Canada and Mexico here to compete. Several flew in from Hawaii, Alaska and Mexico to compete. Those entrants rented horses locally to compete with.

Duncan’s just about a hour north of me. I work all around that area and we have done a crap ton of work at the BMW plant there over the years.

Where are you getting your trailer from? We had to go to Georgia a couple weeks ago to get a trailer for the company because nobody around here had any anymore and didn’t know when the next shipment was coming in.
Nice. Picking up a new travel trailer from Sonny’s RV. Got a great deal and saved a ton by picking it up ourselves vs getting it delivered out to California.

Well here it is. Truck handles it well. Only got about 20 miles with it so far for the first night. but will be putting about 350 miles on it tomorrow but definitely feels solid. Little over 2600 miles to make it all the way home. I'll report back on handling and MPG after we get home.
1D592E3E-E839-4535-AC04-5AFC18F00FD1.JPG
900034A1-1766-4C74-9E79-1A1813A3694C.JPG
38684C4B-2688-4579-9044-C3563F5B6266.JPG

Thats a nice looking combination.
Do You have a winch mounted behind the bumper ?
Courous as to the MPGs.
Thanks. Yeah Warn M12000 with synthetic rope.
so far avg 12mpg but that’s with a few good uphill climbs (only 300miles or so). Once we get out west And it flattens out, I expect it to pick up a bit. I’ve been averaging 60-65 MPH.

Still working on fine tuning the hitch. I’ve gotta bring the nose of the trailer down a little to get it level. But the truck is dead level.

Last edited:
Nice. Picking up a new travel trailer from Sonny’s RV. Got a great deal and saved a ton by picking it up ourselves vs getting it delivered out to California.

Very nice camper for sure, glad you saved some money on it, plus you got a nice road trip to go with it. I know for a fact that there is a huge mark up price on a lot of campers, probably more than what's on cars.

From the risk of insulting the better expert perspective.

Might consider double checking the trailer's tire ratings. Not all have a 75 mph allowance.

And last I was in California, there were signs on the highway that stated anything with a trailer was limited to 55 mph. This actually caught my attention a while ago due to complaints from Class A motorcoach (bus style) owners getting stung as they did not consider the flat-tow car as a trailer.

From the risk of insulting the better expert perspective.

Might consider double checking the trailer's tire ratings. Not all have a 75 mph allowance.

And last I was in California, there were signs on the highway that stated anything with a trailer was limited to 55 mph. This actually caught my attention a while ago due to complaints from Class A motorcoach (bus style) owners getting stung as they did not consider the flat-tow car as a trailer.
@JayTheCPA you are correct. Most trailer tires have a very low max speed rating. Thankfully, I have Goodyear Endurance radial trailer tires (probably the best trailer tire made so far) which have an 87 MPH max rating. I haven’t gone over 65 yet. I’ve been averaging 60-65mph. So I should be good there.
And yes California is limited to 55 MPH when towing. I haven’t made it there yet. once we get there (another 1600 miles) we’ll be keeping it around 55mph as well.

Last I checked, opinions were still in development about the Endurance. Agree that it is the best of the bunch, but that does not seem like much when it comes to ST tires.

Given that, I moved to LT tires. Yeah, I know, they are not rated for turn-out and there are plenty of haters about using LT tires in a trailer application. But, whatever... There are lots of folks running LTs without fear of blow-out like the STs ;)

Last I checked, opinions were still in development about the Endurance. Agree that it is the best of the bunch, but that does not seem like much when it comes to ST tires.

Given that, I moved to LT tires. Yeah, I know, they are not rated for turn-out and there are plenty of haters about using LT tires in a trailer application. But, whatever... There are lots of folks running LTs without fear of blow-out like the STs ;)
Over the years, I've had fewer issues with load range E or heavier LTs than trailer tires.

Any of you recall that issue of DieselPower where they built up a diesel tow vehicle (a Duramax C2500, iirc), then modded an enclosed trailer with an anti-sway system, aftermarket rims and V Speed Rated tires and then took it out to a dry lake northeast of LA and did two flying miles at over 120mph to set a new, unofficial World Record for fastest trailer tow?

Any of you recall that issue of DieselPower where they built up a diesel tow vehicle (a Duramax C2500, iirc), then modded an enclosed trailer with an anti-sway system, aftermarket rims and V Speed Rated tires and then took it out to a dry lake northeast of LA and did two flying miles at over 120mph to set a new, unofficial World Record for fastest trailer tow?
You mean like this.
FB_IMG_1448728463589.jpg

Alright, we made it back home total of 5400 miles. MPG towing suffered but we hit a LOT of wind. Avg 10.8MPG. I wasn't babying it either. I made it work to keep 60-65MPH even up grades with strong head winds. lowest we saw was 9MPG.

Truck has plenty of power and stopping is no problem. But when its windy it sure seems to push the truck around a bit more than I'd like. I realize its a big trailer but with the "cat's meow hitch" (ProPride) I think I was expecting the experience to be better than it was. I don't doubt the hitch is doing its job (there was an emergency swerve to avoid a truck tire and that trailer tracked right behind me without issue, so totally worth the money). I think it might be my choice of tire. While the Continental TerrainContact A/T is a smooth, quite and good running tire, I think its a little soft for towing heavy. Im running LT285/70R17E on the hummer H2 17x8.5 wheels. with my car trailer it seems good, and all other hauling has never been an issue, but with this 33ft TT I feel they just aren't up to the task even at 80PSI.

When the wind is blowing it definitely requires a lot of back and forth to keep it in the lane, and when a Semi passes you +10-15 MPH faster than you it can be a bit unnerving to keep it straight.
I'm debating going down a size to reduce the sidewall flex (LT265/70R17E) and likely going to give the Michelin Defender a shot. We have another 2k mile round trip up to glacier this weekend and I'm pretty sure I'm going to swap out tires before that trip. Any ideas?
Thanks.

Well after looking over the steering I think I found the culprit for my steering wheel play. The sector shaft has some side to side play where it comes out of the box and the pitman arm attaches. Disappointing as I had a new GM box installed 2.5 years ago. It’s not leaking yet but guess I’ll need to look into that soon. Any suggestions on steering box rebuild or aftermarket boxes? Quick search seems to show they are hit or miss on quality.

Back