• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1997 K3500 454 Work Horse

One issue the truck still has is hard start after a heat soak. It has new stock output injectors from 5 0 Motorsports. It will start on the second try or if I give it a little throttle while cranking.

I'm also using Gibbs 10w40 break in oil, what should I do for the first oci?

Either of these would serve you very well, the independent test pdf is in the download section if you want to read it, it's very informative. The lube selection is in the store, have a look if you want a different weight..

The company has many test's that are on going, my truck is one of them, I'm @ 8K miles and sample every 2K now and the samples come back stating no change required, the manufacture is compiling the data for all their test's, all the goodies are still in the oil and the results are even improving, Keep in mind, my 6.5 has 212K and stock, I added a bypass filter last year and haven't compiled a lot of miles on that setup. They have many other test vehicles that are on going from big rigs up to 30K miles and still no change required.. They recommend pulling a sample and the owner making their own decision as no driver treats theirs the same so each should be tested..

I know people are skeptical, nascar uses the products as well as many other forms of track motors. I have averaged 1 1/2 more mpg than any other lubes for just one benefit...

Also found something weird. The torque converter unlocks when I engage cruise. Could that be the brake switch?

You were chasing TCC unlock on page like 2. Have you thrown a brake switch at it yet? Not exactly a reliable design.

The cruise is a cable drive unit mounted on the driver firewall. Suggest the cable is too tight (or sticking) and may be snapping throttle open far enough to unlock TCC. Does it lock back up? It would want to open the throttle (not that much though) taking up cable slack to avoid a jerk feeling if you step off the throttle while turning it on.

The brake switch has 3 parts that all have to work in unison, if they don't you can have issues. Or it could be a tps, or possibly a tune issue(not sure if the black box pcm monitors cruise or not). The hard hot start could also be a tuning issue. I know others who have run black bear tunes, and they all ran LEAN, like 16:1 lean in open loop. It may be beneficial to check your adaptives and see what they show. And connect a fuel pressure gauge to see if it's losing fuel pressure.

Hard start has been an issue since before the rebuild. Fuel pump is next on the list as a culprit.

The truck could barely hold OD before it blew so the tcc could have been there the whole time, the temp sensors, and o2 sensors are all new, tps isn't new but tested fine, new iac valve, and at this point I cant remember everything done lol. If the tcc does lock it is only down hill, the trans control is a little different in a 454 vs 6.5 lol.

Got 8.5mph hauling cattle to the sale. Had 14k behind me. Not bad at all

Not bad at all Tanner for that kind of weight. Was most of that trip on flat ground?
I only get anywhere from 12.1 MPG to 14.5 MPG towing a 4000 pound camper with about 1000 pounds in the truck bed with my 2006 Chevy, 2500HD, 4x4, Duramax. That is mountains and rolling hills most of the way. I think it is the wind resistance that kills the mileage with a camper. The truck does not hardly know its back there as far as the weight other than the camper shakes the truck some when hitting those rough places on the road.

Back