• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1997 K3500 454 Work Horse

Will L.

Yeah, i need to go back and reread it. Something is WAY off.

That weak, and a new-to-you truck, i would start with a compression test. Then hook up
A vacuum gauge to the manifold and do that check- do you know what to watch for?
If those two aren’t right- the fueling cant be right no matter what system.

tanman_2006

Just a farm kid...
I would exhaust everything first, then if nothing was found move to the motor..

Does this truck have a ecm? Any tunes in it? electronic injected or carb?

I read through some of the thread but not all of it...
Its a 97 vortec 454 w/ 4l80. Cleaned throttle, cleaned maf w/ maf cleaner, new iac, new ect sensor, new downstream O2 sensor. All stock as far as I know. Rebuilt engine and reman trans both with 5k on them.

To hold 55mph loaded it down shifts to 2nd alot.

Starts fairly hard cold, almost wont start after a heat soak, and idles rough

tanman_2006

Just a farm kid...
Yeah, i need to go back and reread it. Something is WAY off.

That weak, and a new-to-you truck, i would start with a compression test. Then hook up
A vacuum gauge to the manifold and do that check- do you know what to watch for?
If those two aren’t right- the fueling cant be right no matter what system.
If I end up pulling spark plugs I'll check compression. What numbers should I see?

Seems to pull alot of vacuum. Used maybe 1/4 qt in 3k miles.

tanman_2006

Just a farm kid...
Well I'm not really a gas person but would be curious as to what cam it has.

Is their a TV type of cable controlling the tranny? I also only do manual trannys and don't know much about autos LOL...

Any codes?

I'm more of a carb person..

Me thinks Ferm would be the one to know better..
No codes. Its all electric on the 4l80 and it shifts nice.

I assume stock cam, it was driven by an older man (60-70ish) as his work truck building houses and is a one owner truck.

The cam could be wrong but how could you get one this weak? Lol the stall would also be interesting to know too.

Will L.

On vacuum it isn’t just over all vacuum, it is reading fluctuations. I have a cheat sheet I keep With my vacuum tester, When I go back out to shop I will post a pic for ya.

To find the tc stall speed: start engine, hold brake pedal full, then throttle as hard as possible without over powering brakes, full throttle if capable. Read tachometer- that rpm is the stall speed. This doesn’t hurt anything, but does heat up the trans fluid really quickly, so never more than 30 seconds.

tanman_2006

Just a farm kid...
It's only a little over a yr old reman and mayne 7k miles tops. The receipt only says reman engine written on it. I got the shop number from the PO and told him the situation, I am trying to see if he will help me with the shop and at least get me a break on repairs (don't really want to take it back for the same crap). I am hoping it is a jasper engine which is a 3yr 100k transferable warranty (and I don't like Jasper either).

Last hope is to atleast he can shed aome light on what was done so I can tell my shop.

How far can you bore out a 454 block? Lol