• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1997 K3500 454 Work Horse

It's only a little over a yr old reman and mayne 7k miles tops. The receipt only says reman engine written on it. I got the shop number from the PO and told him the situation, I am trying to see if he will help me with the shop and at least get me a break on repairs (don't really want to take it back for the same crap). I am hoping it is a jasper engine which is a 3yr 100k transferable warranty (and I don't like Jasper either).

Last hope is to atleast he can shed aome light on what was done so I can tell my shop.

How far can you bore out a 454 block? Lol
Hope its a Jasper. Or something with a warranty, A good ahop would stand behind their work.

It's not a Jasper. The shop said they will rebuild it again but I'd have to cover parts.

The PO offered $1000 toward the shop of my choosing.

The PO sounds like a respectable person. It’s good of them to do that for you since your having trouble with it this early. You don’t find someone like that everyday

I was hesitant to call but when I did he said he would try to work out a way to get it in the shop that did the work originally. I'm not a fan of having a possibly bad experience with similar results after towing it 4hrs back to where I got it.

I'm trying to find a used crank and my mechanic will plastigauge every bearing. A new crank from GM is $1500

What is good on the powertrain again? Transfer case, front diff, and warranty rebuild on engine look like a black hole for cash. Me thinks the PO got the "Oink" outta this one. I hate to ask, but, how is the front end?

You can get a used 454 for less than cost of new crank. Even for parts...

Nothing wrong with warranty because s#it happens. How is the online reputation of the shop? 8 hour day driving for engine warranty x2 because the rebuilt engine was a selling point is... Wait, why are you covering parts under warranty?

Last edited:
What is good on the powertrain again? Transfer case, front diff, and warranty rebuild on engine look like a black hole for cash. Me thinks the PO got the "Oink" outta this one. I hate to ask, but, how is the front end?

You can get a used 454 for less than cost of new crank. Even for parts...

Nothing wrong with warranty because s#it happens. How is the online reputation of the shop? 8 hour day driving for engine warranty x2 because the rebuilt engine was a selling point is... Wait, why are you covering parts under warranty?

Non transferable warranty and its only a 12 month warranty and its been 16 months. No online reputation.

I would be covering parts, po would cover labor or send money to a local shop of my choice.

I would have to pay to have it hauled 4hrs. Not happening, I will trust the White night to haul it 20 miles to the shop I plan to use.

So far no matching JY engines according to 3 yards. I have another thread asking about a potential engine.

Tranny and rear end are for sure good. T case might be out, front diff leaks. I'm not scrapping it sorry, I don't believe in doing that.

Well I didn't say scrap, but, options like down the road as a mechanic's special. Going through one engine and turning around and going through another is a soul searching event esp. when several big ticket items on it all want cash real soon :greedy: . So has the soul searching been done and is this a money pit you want to "build" to whatever point? I get that older trucks can be like this from school of hard knocks. Book value becomes meaningless as parts costs pass that. You are going to own it awhile to get the project cost earned back out of it... And that's not a bad thing.

Clearly mis-underestimated the scope of the "project" :angelic:

Do they still make a crate engine, GM Goodwrench (dealer) longblock rebuild, or other exchanges with longer warranties? I wouldn't go Jasper per say, but, the cost of an exchange and warranty could be a better value than a local rebuild and hope they catch what the first rebuild missed. You can tell us how good your local guy and machine shop is?

No idea if any of these would work:
https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/category/BB.html

Edit: But this "new" 454 engine should:
https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/19207552.html

Last edited:
My mechanic said 3k tops to rebuild the bottom end and put a cam in.

I didn't pay for the first rebuild.

I will at the very least keep in until I can pay cash for a brand new loaded Duramax and trade yearly on cash out of pocket. I currently can't make my $700/month truck payment with the $1100/month repair note.

I just bought a red burb with bad tranny for a new hood, doors, and fenders. I guess I might want to keep it but idk.

I just want some advice on where to get engine parts, thats why I started the other thread. It will be getting everything I can afford fixed while its in for the engine.

I would pick up a used engine if it was mine and was in your situation. Even if you have to get one shipped, it wouldbe worth it. Thete's a couple for sale near me for a $1K for running pull outs. Or better yet, find an 8.1l. I know duraburb had an 8.1l for saleout of that 04 he did for the member her for $1500. Or pick up an LQ4 6.0l pullout for $1200-1500 and swap that in.

Lq4 is a little short on torque for a truck that will spend its life in front of a trailer. I do however have a psi harness for a 2008-2009 6.0/4l80 in hand....

8.1, I know where there is one being parted out but then again bolt in and go is preferred.

I found an engine I'd like to use the bottom end on but no one has commented yet.

Like I said no 454's locally and the jy acted like there weren't any in network.

The steed is back in action... OUCH THAT HURT!

Anyways, WAY more pep 1800-3200rpm so far.

O'Reilly's engine
Extreme Energy Comp Cam
Black bear black box tune
Gibson headers
ALOT of misc parts

Still blows 4x4 fuse... Time to trace that down while I throw in the 4" diamond eye.

The previous owner sent me $1500. I did not take it to the previous shop which is probably a good thing after seeing the mess of red goop over grey (possibly rtv) tryinging to seal the tin on. The current shop used the right stuff sparingly and even cleaned off the headers after install, it looks nice.

Back