• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1997 K3500 454 Work Horse

My luck strikes again! Looks like the Tcase went out/chain has stretched too far. The 4x4 has worked every day up to this point. Today as I drove through the second pasture on my daily run I went to climb a sand hill and the truck started bouncing, it was still in 4x4, I back down the hill put the truck in neutral and shifted to 2ws then 4 high. As I tried the hill again I heard grinding from under the truck and only had my rear wheels spinning again.

I assume it is a bw? What are the specs/model #? It doesn't have a tag

When you find it, look for a refresh kit. the little tabs on the forkls, seals, etc are usually less as a kit. Do it all while your there imo.

Last one I did was a 4401(?) In a 94 k3500. Found out that you just buy a good reman from bluementhals and let them square it up. This one has fresh rtv on the seam so I am guessing some one already half assed a repair.

Last one I did was a 4401(?) In a 94 k3500. Found out that you just buy a good reman from bluementhals and let them square it up. This one has fresh rtv on the seam so I am guessing some one already half assed a repair.
I concur on that. For the prices I've been given and the amount of time involved for me to educate myself on a rebuild. Buying new, known to be good rebuild or known to be good used has worked out better in the long run

Jasper has a 3yr 100k warranty for 1600ish. Haven't checked Blumenthal yet
I saw a lot of bad results with Jasper engines many years ago. I heard - maybe 5 to 7 years ago that their quality had improved.

Then, last year a friend with a shop went through 5 Jasper engines on the same truck. That was enough for me. They shucked out a certain amount of cash for labor for each engine. But each engine was a hassle. The customer wasn't exactly overjoyed either.

I'd see what else is available. Seems a little high for a transfer case.

I have a transfer case out of a 1996 Gas Suburban here. I think it was from behind a 4L60E. I think that transfer case had push button on the dash though. I do not know how much difference there is

If you want it, I'd make a package deal with it on that rear dif rebuild kit. Wouldn't be bad if he could find somebody heading your way.

I am waiting for a quote from blumenthal's, they are my first choice but I have to check my other options too.

I'm not a jasper fan but they gave me a quote immediately. They also quoted 2600 for the front diff, no way in hell that will happen! Its output bearings have some play and it leaks, not my biggest concern at the moment

One question, this truck seems to have a 26 gallon tank, will the 36 gallon tank bolt right in or do I need new straps, pickup assembly, or anything else?

Dumbest thing I've ever seen, a 3500 long bed 4x4 with a big block and a small gas tank.

I don't know if it's possible to save the ring and pinion if you catch it soon enough? For this year I would hit a junkyard for a front diff. They can lock up so not something you want to let go very long. Do price a shop doing the swap as it can be cheaper than the trouble it is to swap.

Junkyard for gas tank as well. Get everything. Aftermarket tanks like Spectra don't have the tank seam folded properly and cause some "fun" during install. Are you sure it's a small tank and not a bad fuel gauge having you fill up 10 gal short? Longbeds have the bigger fuel tank... I don't know it can be ordered otherwise. PO replacement with smaller?

The tank has surface rust suggesting it has some age, it matches the exhaust and axle rust. Shouldn't there be an rpo for the tank? The po said he always ran out at 1/4 tank and I put 22-24 gallon in at that point.

The axle holds oil it just needs topped off every oil change. I'll just have it rebuilt, no telling how long the jy axle will last and we don't have many good yards here

Dang, those ones are harder to swap out. I wonder if any of the seal- swelling additives would help.
Later when you do pull it apart to do new seals, consider the ones with speedy sleeves.

Dang, those ones are harder to swap out. I wonder if any of the seal- swelling additives would help.
Later when you do pull it apart to do new seals, consider the ones with speedy sleeves.

Local shop quoted me 1600 including ring and pinion for a rebuild but they have a used set I can have if it comes down to it.

Local shop quoted me 1600 including ring and pinion for a rebuild but they have a used set I can have if it comes down to it.
A junkyard axle for $250, $50 in seals abd sealant, reseal, and put it in would be my choice. 9.25" diffs are pretty tough if you don't run them out of oil. It's the same basic diff they're still using today.

Got the ect and iac out today. No more codes.

Tcc now locks but kicks out on every hill.

Guessing my injectors are junk? Still wouldn't out run a healthy stock 95 6.5L.

Also still idles 1000 rpm warm and hard starts (sign of poor injectors)

I just put 27.1 gallons in my truck with the needle on the first red line. Seems like an awful lot to be the small tank. I need to measure the tank on one of my other trucks and see how they compare.

Back