• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1994 Can’t time Set or set TDCO with Tech 2

Just curious, could it be something with the tech 2 not being able to clear the codes or set the TDCO? I have not used a tech 2 before but I do have the GMTDscan on the laptop.

OK we downloaded GMTD Scan to a windows 10 laptop and got it to work. Can clear the DTC 88 code, but it comes right back the moment we try to do a Time Set. So we are unable to do the TDCO learn. This does not change no matter how we move the IP. I am now wondering if this is the wrong IP?

something you can check. once you can get close to 3 deg on the actual IP timing. look at the fuel rate numbers. this IP could have the OP sensor out of whack and not adjusted correctly. if that is the case, your fuel rate at idle will look funky rather that be a 6-8 mm^3. I know Will will know more about this than I would.

You are doing time set first, right?

Trying to do Time Set first, but obviously don't know how to do it. I now understand that I put the GMTD scan on with engine running and at the right temp, then move the IP until the Actual is at 3.5, then I do the time set command. Is that correct? Then it should set at 3.5 and we can do the TDCO command.

As I understood it thats kinda like how it's done with a timing light and moving the distributor disconnecting the vacuum line on the distributor on a gasser. only using the pc triggering the time set, leaving the IP snug where you can tweak it back n fourth while idling. once it's at 3-3.5 deg and seems steady then tighten the nut up and trigger learn. I may be wrong where others can chime in to correct me. the tech 2 should have a time set function and a learn function same as GMTD on the pc.

Back