• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1989 Mustang LX 302 To 351W Swap

Had a little bit more time to work on the car this past weekend.

Here is the J-shaped bypass pipe that the internet says works:
peJvwlO.jpg

--------------------------------------------------

I had to cut some of each end off. It was definitely a tight fit between the firewall but it did work!
a3vZM15.jpg

Got the car to heat up good and began messing with the fuel pressure. For some reason it was at 34 lbs with the vac line disconnected:
X0isxW0.jpg

Adjusted to 40 lbs:
jzpyWtL.jpg

-----------------------------------------------

Then disaster hit again. Sprung a pinhole leak in the rubber tube from the water pump to the heater core crossover:
2APVzyi.png

What a pain in the ass this car has been lately.
------------------------------------------------

Pulled it into the garage quickly and my dash began lighting up.
hTCEaHy.jpg

Has to be something with the old oil level sensor when I tied it up to the frame rail. It has been out of the oil pan for years without tripping a light. I assume that is why the CEL came on also. The amp light has been on since I swapped in the Canadian cluster. So that's a different issue.

You are going to enjoy doing that heater core.

Why did you swap in the Canadian cluster?

Yeah, I am not looking forward to the heater core replacement. I got the Canadian cluster for free. My old cluster was all messed up (needles off, face de-laminated, etc.). My plan was to swap just my 85 mph speedo over to the Canadian cluster however I was told the pinning might be different regarding the AMP light so I haven't messed with it anymore.

Still making little to no progress with the tuning. Very frustrated with the help I am supposed to be getting.....(ahem, paying for). My schedule just does not line up with my "mentor". He literally calls at the worst time as I assume I do his. Was promised some info on Saturday which was not received. Then we were supposed to sit down last night and that got postponed to supposedly tonight. If nothing happens tonight I think I am throwing in the towel with it. I just don't have time in my life for this right now. Will just pay someone to get it done (now prolly next year since the season is shot....)

Anywho a couple pics. My amp (battery) light is intermittently coming on and off. Was told it is due to the Canadian cluster. Just not sure why this would be intermittent?
m7rXatO.jpg

Some datalogging finally happening...
BX0Utaa.jpg

-----------------------------------------------

Back