• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1989 Mustang LX 302 To 351W Swap

Nice sounding car. What kind of lift does your Camshaft have and what compression ratio do you think you are running?

I have tinkered with some Hot Rods in the past and appreciate projects like yours.

Next update.

All that's left is to get the electric fan installed and tune. But of course my Ford Taurus Fan swap couldn't be EASY! Due to the thickness of the fan and not being able to move the fan much around on the radiator the fan motor hits the water pump shaft.

IMG_3319_zpssd0hfmit.jpg

IMG_3320_zpslrutcs8k.jpg

The fan is just shy of 5.5'' thick, and i have just less than 4.5'' of space if the fan motor must be positioned in the center. Its super crunch time as the car may be getting tuned next weekend and I am out of town all week. So I think I'm going to order a cheesy fan kit off eBay to get me by for now and install first thing next Saturday before the tune.

Nice sounding car. What kind of lift does your Camshaft have and what compression ratio do you think you are running?

I have tinkered with some Hot Rods in the past and appreciate projects like yours.

I will have to go look at the cam card as its been a little while haha. Nothing extreme. Compression wise stock was 9.1-2:1. I told the builder i wanted to raise but still run on 93 pump gas so I'm assuming 10.something:1. We parted ways on rough terms so I really know little on the internals of this setup. Kinda scary...

I don't think that fan motor necessarily has to be centered if you have a little room to move it around. As long as you get full shroud coverage

Unfortunately the fan is so large I have barely an inch play on all corners. This is the best fan (in terms of CFM) that you can get from the JY for dirt cheap and cool just about any powerplant.

Bought a universal 16'' 3,000 CFM fan off ebay the other day. Gonna be on the lookout for a dual Ford Contour fan setup over the winter to install.

Also got a pic of my cam card:
f26db2ad-600e-4738-8bff-1a63f9517039_zpsv1a6udgn.jpg

Got the car tuned yesterday. Few small bugs to work out before a final tune next spring, but its driveable!

Went from flat black to rattle can gloss. Looks a tad better.
IMG_3360_zpsvbooueu9.jpg

99 Mercury Cougar fan installed.
IMG_3361_zps6eskxgyu.jpg

Getting ready to load up for the 1.5 hr trip to tuners location.
IMG_3363_zpshl5nsb3s.jpg

Sounds good- and I like how you never broke the speed limit on the road. I mean, thats where the video stopped so OBVIOUSLY you immediately brought the car to a full and complete stop before impeading any traffic laws...

Sounds good- and I like how you never broke the speed limit on the road. I mean, thats where the video stopped so OBVIOUSLY you immediately brought the car to a full and complete stop before impeading any traffic laws...

Thanks all!

Haha, my house is literally a couple hundred feet down that road. So it was a hard hit to first and quick hit in second then I was home. I'm sure they would get me for excessive acceleration or erratic driving.

Found a break in the speedo sensor sheathing. Took apart connector to repair.
IMG_3425_zpsq8ptdgz7.jpg

Installed a 95 Mustang 3G alternator after multiple charging issues!

Installed a 4 gauge power feed from the alternator as well as a ground out of 4 gauge from the engine to the chassis.
IMG_3427_zpswwr4f5bz.jpg

IMG_3428_zpsqp3hdte7.jpg

Original wire i used from the 95 mustang setup that just wasn't enough.
IMG_3426_zpsighwnfy6.jpg

Voltage with all accessories on! Confirmed 14.6 volts with meter.
IMG_3429_zpsqisitbue.jpg

And my screw up of the day...... Hood flew up at 40 MPH. We got lucky.
IMG_3430_zpsymhz5mzg.jpg

Sucks about the hood and cowl. Also, lucky only the hood and cowl.

For sure! The hood is a POS, but took the incident extremely well staying in 1 piece. Car is going to need some additional body work before it gets painted someday. But nobody got hurt. Thats the most important thing

Been on the lookout for another Pony rim to replace a bent one. Finally settled and just buying a whole set. Id say they are in similar condition to my current ones and need a good reconditioning/painting. Thinking Anthracite or some type of gunmetal.

The new rims came with tires mounted that I am contemplating on installing and running for a bit, but the size difference from what I currently have is substantial to the point I don't think they will fit. However the did come off a Turbo Coupe prior.

drzwlxx.jpg

uul6izL.jpg

cPgVIgv.jpg

Been travelling a bit this week so tomorrow I plan on working a half day in the garage on the Mustang. I dug out a few parts for installation and plan on changing the "hot air intake" back to inside the fender. Sorry for the horrid old IPhone pics.

4fYDT3s.jpg

JWOLagw.jpg

bQdfvzR.jpg

On a side note does anyone know how to get water stains out of a nice tweed seat cover? About 8 years ago my brother didn't close my car door all the way and it poured and leaked onto the seat leaving a large water mark.
HtV8FBJ.jpg

Well dug a bit deeper into the 245's that came on the new Ponys and 2 have side wall plugs. So no running them, no big deal will keep the puny 205's till next season.

Began working on the intake and coolant reservoir setup:

Pulled the Cougar fan system out. I plan to scrap my wiring and start fresh with relays or a controller (this was a quick wire to get my car through my wedding):
6TyyPCp.jpg

TdpLaPZ.jpg

Got the cheapy reservoir installed, its gonna be tight in that corner with the battery:
GIH4rbo.jpg

gJI7JpY.jpg

XFuMZdZ.jpg

Pulled the cobbled intake apart:
jPVu9x5.jpg

Re-installed the charcoal can, vacuum hoses and solenoid:
1vR7jpN.jpg

I need to get this monster Pro-M back into the fender well before the next tune. Only option is an Anderson kit. I really need the kit on the right but I got a great deal on the kit to the left. Will just insert a 3.5'' spacer pipe where the bullet MAF should go:
0EdWO2g.png

Also ended up getting my new Walbro 255LPH pump and bracket/sender. Hope to make more progress this weekend!

Back