• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1978 Nomad Trailer Restoration/Project: 88GMCtruck is at it again.

Nice work, the good thing about the awning is if you tire of the color they make pretty orange and blue ones as well:)

outstanding job on the whole project!!! i wish i could do something like that,but were i live its to hot right now maybe during the winter ill go looking for a project to do...thanks again for sharing with use its been a big help!!!!

Nice work, the good thing about the awning is if you tire of the color they make pretty orange and blue ones as well:)
It is true that I can have plenty of color combination choices for my awning style.

how about a little rattle can painting of the tongue and rear bumper?

cheap aesthetic fix IMO
You didn't catch the last sentence of my last post, that is the next step, fixing some aesthetic issues. Frame, tongue, step and front and rear siding up by the roof where it was damaged by the sun/tarps.

outstanding job on the whole project!!! i wish i could do something like that,but were i live its to hot right now maybe during the winter ill go looking for a project to do...thanks again for sharing with use its been a big help!!!!
Thanks man!

------------------------------

Did a little camping this weekend. Everything worked great, trailer towed fine, etc. Only single issue I had was in the middle of the night part of particle board under the bed broke. So that is now on the list of things as well to fix, upgrading it to some plywood.

Truck all loaded up before leaving.
IMG_20100909_143406.jpg

Campsite all setup.
IMG_20100909_182709.jpg

Few sunset shots from the park.
P1100713.jpg

P1100716.jpg

P1100715.jpg

P1100721.jpg

P1100722.jpg

P1100725.jpg

P1100726.jpg

You were up in McKroskey again weren't ya? I was heading that direction today until I got called on a trespass issue east of Moscow. Never made it back that way.

Maybe...... :p It's just such a nice park and it's so close, and never crowded. We went up Thursday around 4pm and came back today around 11. It was quite a nice trip, we plan to go back again in October.

Nice work on the camper. I have a 1987 Playmor that needs some care. I know I need to put a roof vent lid on it, since it has been baked by the sun and cracked. Getting ready to tow it to hunting camp and I need to get my butt in gear. Man if you just lived closer I would let you work your magic on it.

Small update. We FINALLY had a decent hard rain so I got to check out the trailer and see if we had any leaks. Well, I do. Luckily, both are simple and related to windows. The first leak i noticed at the base of the front right wall. The front right window is leaking at the top, so It'll need to be pulled back out and re-sealed. The other leak is the front window. It's leaking in the bottom of the frame. The sealant where the frame was originally constructed isn't sealed anymore, letting water run into the sill area. Well the problem is the sill is slanted inward due to the window design and slope of the wall, and it's allowing water to run in. So, that is the next step once it drys out again.

Wow... your insane Dave! but in a good way of course. I wonder where the batteries came from... I see some writing on them. Overall, I think is was a waste of time for you to buy this camper in the beginning, but you have turned it around and also change my mind too.... Good job Dave.

Back after a short break of not working on the trailer. I ended up taking it out friday night with some friends again. Had no issues with the trailer. Now today I started working on it yet again.

One of the issues i fixed today. Here is the old water fill. It's a stupid little pull out drawer type thing, and doesn't work well at all. A hose doesn't fit in it, and it backs up when you fill it with water, and the hose that connects it with the tank leaks inside the trailer.
P1100522.jpg

Enlarging the opening
P1100771.jpg

Here is the old setup. Stupid style hose and tiny 3/8" vent.
P1100772.jpg

New water fill.
P1100774.jpg

New lines, and larger 1/2" vent line. This one doesn't backup when filling.
P1100773.jpg

I also fixed my broken bed issues. Stupid 3/4" particle board isn't suitable for this (it's just too old/brittle) so instead i put down some 3/4" ply on both the main and dinette beds.
P1100775.jpg

P1100776.jpg

I'm hoping tomorrow the rain clears up and I will be able do some work outside the trailer. I need to pull the lights still and put the gaskets behind them, and paint the siding where the paint is gone. I also have some LED lights I want to install outside.

More progress. I added something that is a little bit of a luxury in this thing. I added an expansion tank to the water system. In RV world they are known as accumulators, however this is an expansion tank for residential hot water heaters. Basically it has an air bladder that is charged, and in residential use it takes on the additional pressure from the hot water when it heats up and expands. In the trailer however, the pump fills the water against the bladder and allows the water fixtures to be ran with less pump cycling and a more constant stream of water.

So, I had to devise a way to mount it.
P1100779.jpg

And tee into the water system
P1100777.jpg

Everything mounted and plumbed in. I had to hang the accumulator from the bed frame due to the water pump, lines and gas lines below. Barely had the space.
P1100781.jpg

P1100782.jpg

P1100783.jpg

P1100785.jpg

P1100786.jpg

With the rest of the bed back together. I cut a hole in the top so you can easily change the air charge on the tank (it's a standard valve stem) and didn't screw the wood down to easily access these vital plumbing components for inspection.
P1100788.jpg

I also changed my setup for the water tank vent. The level the water fill is at creates a problem; when the water sloshes to the side cornering or on rough roads, it fills up the vent tube and drains through it. To overcome this, I drilled an additional hole in the wall and ran the vent tube in a loop up about 2 1/2 ft. Hopefully this will keep the vent from leaking.
P1100787.jpg

And finally, I cut some rubber and secured the water lines down to the floor. No more rattling pipes.
P1100790.jpg

P1100789-1.jpg

Always. I have a habit wearing sandals when working on some things around the house since i can toss them on and off easily when i need to go inside.

Got the rear diff fluid changed out after the break-in period. Pattern looks great, everything is in check.
IMG_20101005_162246.jpg

Took her out once again last weekend. Before I left I lit the fridge and it wasn't cooling, even after 2 days. So, I think that it's probably been operated out of level in the past and the chemical mixture has crystallized and started blocking the cooling unit passages. I might be able to get a few more uses out of it if I "burp" it again.

I also swung by the weigh station on my way camping. Truck with 2 people, dog, a 1/2 tank of gas, a bed full of firewood and the trailer with the usual tank of water, food and stuff. 10,880 lbs. I need to spend some more time and weigh the trailer separately, as well as the truck.

IMG_20101008_172856.jpg

IMG_20101008_172942.jpg

IMG_20101008_172926.jpg

Anyway, I was a rainy weekend. I got my redneck awning setup before it started. I thought I solved the leak in the corner but it's still there. I'm going to have to track that one down soon as fall is most definitely here.

I also had this happen on the way home. Truck is getting close to the good 'ol 200k mark. It's about time for a new powerplant in her.
IMG_20101010_173922.jpg

Looked like some nice enjoyable camping. My first camping trip of the year is coming up soon. Just glad fall is here and it has cooled down.

Good luck on the water leak.

Trailer jacked up to mimic the approx lifted height, which will be in the 4.5-5" range.
IMG_20101014_140827.jpg

Just for kicks, mounted a spare set of mustang wheels on to not only verify the bolt pattern/backspacing, but to see how they look. If I were to run them, I couldn't use caps due to the hubs.
IMG_20101014_143246.jpg

With the 'stang wheels at approx lifted height.
IMG_20101014_143256.jpg

how she'll sit for the weekend, as i'm going to my parents place and taking the axles with me
IMG_20101014_154845.jpg

And I forgot to mention my door mishap. There is a tensioning rod in the end of the door to keep it from sagging. When I fixed the bottom of it a few weeks back I tried to tighten it and ended up breaking the bolt off. Anyway, since then it started sagging bad and eventually not closing. Anyway, I took the door apart, reinforced a few places, fixed the tensioning rod and also replaced the cardboard with insulation. I also adjusted the door frame back to square.
IMG_20101014_160151.jpg

Alright, so here is what I've been up to over the weekend and didn't get around to posting.

Loaded the axles in the 02 and took them across the state. Got them tied in really well. I couldn't leave the tailgate down and tie them in, cause the bed anchors are so far above the floor there was nothing to keep them from bouncing.
IMG_20101015_135050.jpg

IMG_20101015_135102.jpg

Welded on the new perches.
IMG_20101016_174507.jpg

And the axles back in. Ended up being about 5" of lift.
IMG_20101019_074110.jpg

IMG_20101019_074118.jpg

Now to find a cheap set of larger tires, probably in the 235/75R15 size. I'm also part way through lowering the tongue jack down, which is proving to be slightly difficult but worth it in the end.

Back