• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1978 Nomad Trailer Restoration/Project: 88GMCtruck is at it again.

So, did the fridge work?
The fridge ended up not working on 120v. Nothing heated up, nor cooled, so i've determined the heating element is toast. I did get the fridge back in the trailer and it's currently running on propane, so we will see in a few more hours if it actually has done anything. When it was out, I tried "burping" it and could hear the ammonia mixture moving around the tubes. I also didn't see any residue or smell anything so I think it's still sealed, so cross your fingers it works.

--------------------------------

Started today doing other errands and chores, like doing the dishes, vacuuming, paying bills, etc. I did however get something else done that I've been meaning to do since 02.
P1100587.jpg

Yup, that is R-12. Back in highschool I was in a very minor fender bender in the 88. Long story short on that one, one fitting on the AC condenser cracked loose enough to release some Freon/Oil onto the core support. After the accident I noticed the oil spot on the core support, and re-tightened the fitting. It hasn't leaked since, however I've been using virtually non-existent AC for 8 years now. It doesn't have a leak nor is all the freon gone mind you. I took the temp at the vents and prior to everything it was cooling to a nice, crisp 78 degrees (which is something considering it was in the lower 90s today). Anyway, added the freon as per direction, and now I once again have AC. It cools to a chilling 38 degrees, something not even my 02 can do with it's fancy R-134A (it only cooled to 42 :lol: ).

Anyway, enough side BS. Front corners are back on and sealed.
P1100588.jpg

All back lights sealed and mounted with new hardware.
P1100589.jpg

Here is a closeup of a window that was re-sealed with the Butyal Putty.
P1100591.jpg

As she sits now.
P1100595.jpg

What is left to seal:
-5 windows left to seal (of 8 windows, however all the compartments/doors are sealed).
-Range hood vent
-Heater vent
-The back corners
-Everything on the roof

Well, this is the last progress update for awhile. I'm heading back to my parents place for about a week, but i'll be back at it in full swing after the week is over. I have to finish sealing it up, then if time permits I may be giving the trailer a little axle flip, build a skid plate for the tanks, and if they fit, throw on my set of 265/75R16 Goodyear Wrangler TDs I have lying around. Nothing like mud tires on the trailer, no?

That is the idea. I really just want to get in back in good shape, and take care of it. The cool thing with this trailer is it's going to be the kind of trailer your not worried about getting dirty inside, or out for that matter.

Well good news! I left the fridge running on propane last night, and low and behold the temps about 8-10 hours later!

0bf29e6d.jpg

a22afe32.jpg

I think had It sat longer it would cooler more. I'm SUPER stoked it works, at least on propane. Now I know the 120v/12v heating element is dead, so time to look into a replacement and it appears they run about $40.

Anyway, off to packing and such.

While at the parents place I stopped by a few RV places. Ended up getting a "bad" shurflo water pump that their service center took out cause the motor wasn't working. So, for $20 i bought the unit for the diaphragm head to put on my motor. So after getting home, I hooked it up to 12v and nothing, so i unhooked the pressure switch and found the motor worked fine. So I took the pressure switch out, dissembled it and found the contacts were pitting and not making clean enough contact. So I ended up filing them down and now, I have a working pump for $20.

So I picked up a set of F44 (3/4ton) springs for the 88 today, should help keep the truck and little more level with the trailer and hopefully won't sacrifice too much flex.

So, I'm up in the air about a few things right now. I can get a good deal on a TBI454 with 109k on it. The other option is gears.

Honestly I'm not out to build this truck into a hotrod. I know a LS motor could be a good option however would cost considerably more. The TBI454 keeps the truck of the same vintage and would have good power for my truck, and lots of torque. I even think if i kept my 3.73s with a 454, i'd probably have similar fuel mileage.

Opinions?

You certainly will get a bunch more torque and can probably keep the 3.73 but I'm not so sure the mpgs will stay close. Those big blocks are mighty thirsty... That's a high mile motor so a rebuild is in order and that won't be cheap. Have you thought about a crate motor? Last time I built a 450 hp small block it wound up costing me as much as one of them with a warranty and the same HP.

Actually this part of the topic should have it's own thread.

Yeah, I agree Mike. Unless I pick up a TBI454 on the super cheap, I'm not going to be messing with the motor this year anyway. Although I was looking at some GM crate motors, which is also an option. I just know I would like to keep it TBI and era correct.

Alrighty! I'm back at my house, enjoyed a nice week at home. My gears will be here today, so I shall start the project probably tomorrow after work. Hopefully I'll get the rear done in one day, however the front will take a little longer as I have to rip the knuckles apart. Then back to tidying up and sealing stuff on the trailer.

Well, No trailer update, but I did get the 4.56s installed in the rear diff of the truck and gave it a test run. Wow. I can't believe I waited this long to re-gear this thing. It's a night and day difference. I can actually pull hills and gain speed with ease now. Can't wait to break them in a little more and try them out with the trailer.

Tomorrow comes the front gears. Once they are in it's back to the trailer work.

Well, since the rear is done, I move to the front. I figured I'd be nice and post up pictures since text is boring. The front's all apart, going to take the pinions into town and get the bearing swapped over.

e963d6c6.jpg

b8c54a96.jpg

Also used this as an opportunity to drill the rotor/hub to accept 14mm studs. These are so much stronger than those puny 7/16" crap they had, and now I can run matching lug nuts.
1955a7d9.jpg

Of course, there is always challenges with any project. I unexpectedly found that one of my wheel bearings up front has had something gone wrong with it. It was stuck on the spindle and also I noticed it has a small rough spot in it (which i think let it heat up and get stuck on the spindle). good news is the spindle is fine, but I have to replace the bearing.

Ran into another snag today, and i'm quite angry with superior gear.

The standard dana 44 uses a 3/8-24 RH bolt. For some reason, my new ring gear uses 7/16-20 RH bolts. Nowhere does their website state this, but actually under the application listing they say 3/8" bolts. And my install kit only came with 3/8 bolts as well. WTF? They are getting an agitated call tomorrow.

So, I called Superior Gear this morning. Turns out that my gears were boxed up wrong and SHOULD have had the 3/8" bolt holes. The gears i received are from a Rubicon, and bolts aside are the exact same gear. Had they had the correct gears in stock they would have sent me them, however it would have taken a few weeks AND I already have the pinion bearing pressed on. Since the gears I have will work fine (just have the larger holes), they opted to instead fix their mistake and sending me the larger sized 7/16" bolts, overnight and Saturday delivery! So I just have to drill the carrier holes one size larger to 7/16", which isn't the end of the world. And there is nothing wrong with upgrading to larger ring gear bolts is there?

While waiting for the ring gear bolts..... I messed with some circuit boards and LEDs for the trailer. These are 120 degree viewing angle LEDs.

On the left is the small board i made for the outside light, the right is one of the 7 larger boards for the inside lights. Each has a grid of 4x5 LEDs. If need be I may add more on the interior circuit boards.
77a79090.jpg

d1648501.jpg

Well, ring gear bolts still aren't here. So, instead I worked on the topic of this thread. I got the back walls sealed back up, the remaining lights, and one more window. I then got the water system hooked back up. You have NO idea how much more quiet this pump is compared to the last.
P1100596.jpg

P1100597.jpg

And the couch is back together.
P1100598.jpg

I then got one set of LEDs together to test in the trailer for brightness.
P1100599.jpg

P1100600.jpg

And a surprise I picked up on CL today. Got a great deal on a set of Cobra wheels from a 'Stang, which share the same bolt pattern as the trailer. Probably the only 70s trailer you'll see with chrome lo-pros. :lol:
P1100602.jpg

Back