• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1978 Nomad Trailer Restoration/Project: 88GMCtruck is at it again.

Yeah, the jig is up. Those wheels aren't actually for the trailer, even though they are the correct bolt pattern. If anything I'd put on some aluminum wheels like mickey thompson classic IIs and a decent sized a/t or m/t tire.

Well, I had a very productive afternoon. I got the correct sized 7/16" ring gear bolts yesterday, so I drilled the carrier holes one size larger for them and got the front diff setup. I achieved a very nice contact pattern rather easily. I then threw the axles back in and bolted the spindles on. Now for the bad news. It's going to sit like that for a few more days while I wait for my new hubs to get here. After drilling the second hub, I realized my initial drill bit size selection did not result in a tight enough fit for the 14mm studs. So, I ended up picking up 2 new hubs for the front and going to give it a shot with a smaller size.

As for the trailer, I removed some pieces of angle iron on the battery tray, and moved the fuse block over in order to make room for the two batteries side by side. I also installed new battery cables along with it, and beefed up the ground connection to the frame. Tomorrow I have friends coming into town and they will be crashing in the trailer, so I'll be putting the last few things back together inside.

And pictures. The dual battery setup. I had to move the fuse box (the small white thing next to the batteries over some)

8fc6d4f6.jpg

fa207786.jpg

And truck is FINALLY back together.
54c6266e.jpg

What ended up taking me so long. I converted the hubs from 7/16" studs to 14mm studs. Old Vs New.
d7429649.jpg

And now my lugs FINALLY match the rear, and I installed my new center sleeves.
19132c60.jpg

Yup. I've heard horror stories of people breaking the 7/16" studs, and I wanted to have matching lugs front and rear instead of using two styles and sizes of nuts.

And here is something I've been working on tonight... A late 90s AC Delco Cassette (courtesy of 83GMCK2500) and Slave CD (courtesy of 07HDCLassic).
P1100604.jpg

This isn't any ordinary Delco. I modified it. Yup, that is a 3.5mm AUX input. It's self switching and direct to the preamp. So that means, you plug something into it, and you have crystal clear audio with full Volume, Fade, Balance and EQ adjustment.
P1100607.jpg

P1100606.jpg

And some 4x6s I had laying around.
P1100608.jpg

And going in near the stereo, three 12v outlets for phones and stuff.
P1100609.jpg

Got any info on that radio mod?? I put a 'car-puter' in my wife's suburban, used a seperate amp, and the radio is a goner. For mine, i have been considering keeping the stock radio, and putting an input in to use it for the computer sounds.. (aka MP3, etc)

This particular stereo is for the trailer. My 02 has the Stereo/CD model and I'll be modifying it one of these days.

--------------------------------

What better way to spend Saturday night than to build random stuff......

Unfortunately, out goes the 8-track.
P1100398.jpg

And I measured up and designed a multi-media area. Here is the faceplate.
P1100690.jpg

So I built this wooden box thing to hold the stereo.
P1100696.jpg

P1100694.jpg

With the faceplate installed. The switch kills the stereo power (like an ignition), and the clip is for my portable SAT radio.
P1100693.jpg

P1100697.jpg

P1100698.jpg

There is also a nifty pocket below to store phones/ipod or whatever I'll be playing music from or charging. I'll also be adding 3 more 12v outlets under the stereo center for charging phones and stuff.
P1100691.jpg

It's some 3/16" thick textured plastic sheet my friend gave me. It's pretty easy to cut with a razor blade and can be heated up and bent into different shapes. I drew the sizes of the openings and cut them close to size, then filed the edges to it's desired shape.

It's some 3/16" thick textured plastic sheet my friend gave me. It's pretty easy to cut with a razor blade and can be heated up and bent into different shapes. I drew the sizes of the openings and cut them close to size, then filed the edges to it's desired shape.

Same way I do bezels. I was kind of hoping you had found an easier way!

:)

So I wired up the stereo unit
P1100699.jpg

And added 2 fuse holders in the back of the compartment, hidden yet easily reached without taking anything apart. One is for the outlets, the second is for the radio.
P1100701.jpg

Cutting the openings for the stereo, speakers and outlets in the cabinet.
P1100702.jpg

P1100703.jpg

P1100705.jpg

Installed the stereo in the opening, speakers under the cabinets and 3 outlets.
P1100706.jpg

P1100707.jpg

Faceplate installed.
P1100708.jpg

And with the Sirius radio plugged in, and the pocket with the phone charging in it.
P1100709.jpg

I also tested out the water pump, unfortunately I need to get a new head for it cause it's leaking where i repaired a crack in it. Tomorrow I'm hopefully going to finish sealing everything. I've been kinda avoiding it as it's kinda boring, tedious work.... But it has to be done.

Yesterday I got the remaining windows sealed up, and one side trim piece on the roof. Today it started raining................. And now all the leaks in the roof are apparent. The worst is the center roof vent, as well as one of the waste tank roof vents. The rains shouldn't be lasting too long, so hopefully I can get the vents up top replaced and then coat the entire roof in sealant.

On the bright side, I did get the window screens re-installed, and my Sirius antenna ran up to the roof.

A little update on the trailer stuff. Everything on the sides of the trailer are now sealed! I also re-installed the fender trim.

I also got a few small things done. The speaker grills were installed, and give it that nice finished look. I also have the fridge running on propane again, this time for a extended period to see how well it will work and to see if i'll be able to trust it to hold food or not. I also went through the heating system and tested it out, to find that it works great. I also installed the new waterpump housing (i accidentally cracked a fitting before) and tested it out. No leaks, and boy is this new pump quiet, and much stronger than the original pump.

Now all that is left is the roof and associated vents, which will be tackled tomorrow.

Well, I've been working on the roof, all the vents were replaced with new and re-sealed. Today I need to pressure wash the roof so I can coat all the seams.

Here is a shot of what the roof vents looked like. Bleh what a mess.
2b8fe343.jpg

I've been lacking in the update department a wee bit, but here is what has been going on. The roof was scraped, new plumbing and fridge vents installed and sealed. Then I pressure washed the roof, let it dry, then coated all the seams and vents in elasticized roof coating. So, the leaks should be completely gone now. The heater was tested and works great, and I let the fridge run (actually used it for beer over the weekend) and found it cool really well, so well in fact one morning it was only 21 inside it and -5 int he freezer.... yeah, I turned the temp up a bit. I also got the fender trim re-installed and cleaned the trailer inside and out. I also adjusted the spacing of the hooks in the top for the redneck awning.

IMG_20100907_190141.jpg

I did happen to tow the trailer Saturday with the new gears. Oh man, it's so much better. It's a night and day difference, and thankfully I can actually deal with headwinds now. So, with that, updates are going to come less and less. Hopefully I'll get a bit of use out of it now. Next up on the list is painting the frame/tongue, and finding the little white inserts for the doors/windows to finish things off there.

Back