• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1969 IH 1300D 4X4 - Pump Truck

I did get a bunch of disc's at HF, the strange part it the finer disc's are film and foam. I am a bit skeptical (to be honest nevwr seen film) as all the hand sanding I did was with conventional paper and grit. Anyone have experience with these new synthetic type sanding disc's?
20240315_154331.jpg

Bought some 3M Super Duty Rubbing Compound off Summit to start this process. Hope to have it in a week, was a bit hard to find! I did another test spot and the ultra-fine 3M compound and Meguiars compound I used previously cant handle some of the left over sanding marks. I assume with the area being much bigger, and me doing an hour or so at a time I lose where each seciton mates up and miss some of the deeper scratches. This compound is good down to 1K-grit scratches so I hope this bridges the sanding gap better.

Got a small 1' x 1.5' corner polished well over lunch today. Some deeper scratches still there but unbelievebly better. Hard to show the shine with the drywall tape reflections above!

I need to step-up the product game, and get better applicators, micro fiber towels, and other supplies. This is such a slow agonizing process.
20240329_125219.jpg20240329_124330.jpg20240329_125151.jpg

But a helluva lot cheaper than stripping filling, priming and all the sanding between coats and then the cost of shooting it, sanding between color coats and final buff out.

The best part too is when somebody asks you if it was repainted, you can say with pride that it's the nearly 70 year old original paint and you did all the collor sanding and buffing to bring the original finish back!

But a helluva lot cheaper than stripping filling, priming and all the sanding between coats and then the cost of shooting it, sanding between color coats and final buff out.

The best part too is when somebody asks you if it was repainted, you can say with pride that it's the nearly 70 year old original paint and you did all the collor sanding and buffing to bring the original finish back!
Exactly why I want to do this. Not too often you hear original lacquer paint.

Got half the roof buffed with 3M rubbing compound and polished with the Ultimate Compound. Just wow, so impressed. You can see a few of the burn through spots in the overall pic. The rubbing compound is brutal, the pad plugs up so fast but to remove the cracking/scratches I need to take a bunch off.
20240405_153253.jpg20240405_153223.jpg

VERY impressive! People are going to think it was a repaint, not the original, if they're not 6" away! That roof looks beautiful! Can't wait for you to do the rest of the truck!

Tried to polish the chrome lights. They are very pitted. I need to find the gasket bases for these as mine are crumbling.
20240401_130522.jpg
20240409_130232.jpg

Also performed more wetsanding in the front drivers corner, and tops of the A-pillars. Ready for rubbing compound and polish next time.
20240409_124807.jpg
20240409_125931.jpg

Old Signal Stat might be a tough find.
I wonder if Rock Auto might have some.
If You cant find new, or good used ones, might try laying in some right stuff in a nice even coat, then, let it cure for a couple of days. Sort of renew the old gaskets and get them so they seal a little better.

Ebay! Yeah, and on there what a Seller "asks" and what an item is actually worth are often two things very far apart!

Also if any local bone yards handle medium-duty or heavy duty trucks you may be able to find the same or similar marker lights on a vehicle there.

Could also check the Classifieds in Hemmings for NOS. Those are generic, not IH specific, marker lights and were used on lots of commercial vehicles during that time period.

I agree they look very similar to other units, these do actually have International stamped in them. However, I bet a lot are identical.
20240411_132853.jpg
20240411_132902.jpg

Well, if the main issue is the rotted rubber base gaskets, and the lenses and housings are acceptable enough for you to reuse pretty much as-is because you're not going for a 90+ point show truck, but a survivor in really good original condition, then just find a generic set by Signal Stat of the right vintage and use those base gaskets/housings and reuse the IH lenses.

Back