• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1969 IH 1300D 4X4 - Pump Truck

Wow, that lower line was close to failure.

Unfortunate as the condition of the remaining line and drivers line are superb. I tried to break it free but couldn't, put some PB on it to see if that will help. I don't want it to break prior to getting my copy made. Anywho will be replacing with the stuff AK recommended, need to locate my tubing bender and get to work with my new Rigid double flare tool.

Forgot a couple..... Spent time in cleaning out the grease gun from the previous grease for use with the Corn Head grease, things are definitely not built for cleaning...

Continued cleaning up the bolts one last time making sure all the gross red over-spray is gone, still little bits here and there I was struggling to get:
nKpgY8U.jpg

-------------------------------------------------

Re-installed passenger upper kingpin and bronze bushing. I rotated the bushing per recommendation to expand wear evenly. Its now ready for a slathering of grease prior to install back on the knuckle:
e2baDqR.jpg

Front hubs are complete:
lxzoNJ1.jpg

-----------------------------------------------

Trying to figure out what wheel cylinders are correct for this truck. Apparently there are ones with brass crush washer connections, however that is not mine:
5a5fPCX.jpg

------------------------------------------------

Finally finished cleaning the king pin hardware:
ewWnr4m.jpg

--------------------------------------------------

Painted the knuckle seal retainer plates:
BBdnD0N.jpg

Got the passenger knuckle on and torqued however had to stop as I don't have a "beam type" torque wrench to measure the rotational torque "pre-load" on the knuckle which must be 20-40 ft lbs per specification.

pr9N2Oe.jpg

jrWBWPI.jpg

fpYEOhs.jpg

WPCrLqN.jpg

Got the passenger knuckle on and torqued however had to stop as I don't have a "beam type" torque wrench to measure the rotational torque "pre-load" on the knuckle which must be 20-40 ft lbs per specification.

pr9N2Oe.jpg

jrWBWPI.jpg

fpYEOhs.jpg

WPCrLqN.jpg

I never thought I would own one of the “old fashioned” beam torque wrenches until I started working on axles. But you know what? Once I started using one I actually enjoyed it so much that I bought an old Craftsman 3/8” one and I used it for a lot of my LS engine assembly. It’s nice watching the torque rise so you can know how close to spec you are, which is really nice, especially for some smaller fasteners. Plus you don’t have to reset the tool when you change to different sizes. Don’t get me wrong though, a click-type wrench does have its place.

Now that Sears is gone I'm not sure Lowes has the selection they once did. Will have to look online. I like Craftsman tools. All except their ratchets. I an not a fan of their ratcheting mechanism, not smooth at all.

plus it doesn't lose accuracy like a click type will
Exactly. Originally they were all made by P. A. Sturtevant company no matter who's brand was on the front of the tool, Sturtevant's logo was on the back. I bought mine in the mid 1960s and even today, I occasionally check my click type wrenches against it when I start an assembly.

I have a craftsman 1/2” beam. I worry about using it because not knowing it’s accuracy.
Maybe have to get it checked to make me feel better and go back to using it again.

It is nice to watch the torque creep up.

I have a craftsman 1/2” beam. I worry about using it because not knowing it’s accuracy.
Maybe have to get it checked to make me feel better and go back to using it again.

It is nice to watch the torque creep up.
They never lose accuracy. As long as the needle is on zero to start, it's accurate.

Seems like metal fatigue or something could occur... It guess it would have to go in trash because not like it is adjustable...
I will just do the vice and hang weight style check myself and see where she stands.

There is about a page of stuff I am tempted to type here about torque wrenches. I want to check my notes from certification class and will do a separate write up on it. Things I didn’t know before that class and found out most pro mechanics didn’t know also.
I have a ton of tool knowledge but most of it doesn’t really help people. This one would I think.

Stopped at Lowes with the Craftsman part number and they didnt stock it, however could be ordered in 2-3 days. Then hit up my local Napa warehouse and the one I wanted was sold earlier today!

Next stop is AutoZone for their Duralast brand. A bit scared for accuracy sake but hell the acceptable breaking torque range is 20 ft lbs, supposedly the Duralasts accuractly is .04 ft lbs.

Any torque wrench:
Only use it from 20% to 90% range. A few select ones can bump those % a hair, but in learning how to calibrate, I learned that “old wives tale” was VERY TRUE.

Back