• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1969 IH 1300D 4X4 - Pump Truck

Did some looking on eBay. Kinda disappointed as several I looked at have needles that dont return to zero. And some sellers picture it but dont mention it.

There are several different ones ranging from 3/8 to 1/2 measuring to 75, 100, 140 and 150 foot pounds. Found 1 in a nice box confirmed to rest on zero in neutral but its $75. A little steep for my purpose right now. Thinking this is a $30ish dollar purchase.

Might end up getting the cheapie duralast and will compare to a clicker type or something for now.

Quite a few craftsman on ebay too. I wouldn't get too excited about the pointer not pointing to zero as it is just a pointer to show how much the main beam is deflecting. should be able to easily tweak it back to zero
Mine isn’t exactly at zero. I just keep that in mind when using it and compensate for it.

Helicoils came in:
i9qfm1t.jpg

-----------------------------------------------

Got one of the Helicoils installed, but had to stop on the other. I don't have a 33/64's drill bit.
RhsA5Yw.jpg

------------------------------------------------

Going to get out today and get the torque wrench. I put out a few bids on select 1/2'' craftsman wrenches on eBay (looking for the 0-100 ft lbs model) but if I'm successful it wont get here for a week or so I bet.

Lunch fun, Finally getting some visual progress back on the truck.

Picked up the Duralast "Made in Taiwan" torque wrench. Decent looking unit and did what I needed it too. Specifications call for breaking torque between 20-40 ft. lbs. as acceptable. I would say its just within spec at 21-22 ft. lbs.:
IeVMaN6.jpg

-------------------------------------------------

Installed the new knuckle seals, a bit tricky keeping the rubber seated, getting the felt on and then getting the bolts through the retainer and the felt to pinch it all together:
7yHdySV.jpg

Slid the axle shaft in after lubricating the seal areas with gear oil and loading up the knuckle with Corn Head lube (the easy way):
a2slZJp.jpg

Installed the backing plate and spindle assembly. Utilized some form-a-gasket behind the spindle to seal to the knuckle as upon disassembly a seal wasn't present:
mChjK4F.jpg

For now I am stuck here until one of the following are ordered:
  • 33/64 drill bit for the drivers side remaining Helicoil; or
  • Wheel Cylinders, brake shoes and hardware to keep going on the passenger.

I think about 4 or 6 pilot bolts would help to get them knuckle seals slid into position.
I have a drawer of My tool box with a pretty good supply of them things just waiting for their turn to be employed. LOL

With that new paint and everything cleaned up, it sure does look nice.

I think about 4 or 6 pilot bolts would help to get them knuckle seals slid into position.
I have a drawer of My tool box with a pretty good supply of them things just waiting for their turn to be employed. LOL

With that new paint and everything cleaned up, it sure does look nice.

That's how I started it 3 bolts per half moon retainer, but the issue I ran into was threading the bolts in through the felt, it just didn't line up quite right so I had to do a bit of finagle-in' due to the awkward position of this thing. Anywho; only 1 more to go, luckily this thing doesn't have quadra-steer!

Brought in my small dremel stones and cleaned up the burr on the one hub:
Ho6hYbX.jpg

-------------------------------------------------

Noticed in the picture I posted yesterday 2 bolts had red paint left on the heads, couldn't have that. So I cleaned them up some more, much better:
ozWwbAB.jpg

--------------------------------------------------

Prepping the drivers side:
yyg5vJC.jpg

I purchased a 33/64's drill bit last night, hopefully with Prime it will be here by Friday. I also need to get a replacement lock washer for the backing plate/spindle bolts as one of the ones removed was a 2-piece. Might do some wandering at Napa today for wheel cylinders. I could save $10-15 each from RockAuto but am worried of picking the wrong thing.

Some artistic painting of the bolt heads. Waiting to do the brake line one:
B45X96a.jpg

dWv0nZI.jpg

Cleaning of the drive flange hardware:
X1NF9Fd.jpg

Replacement kingpin lock washer:
h7uuUEt.jpg

Are you cleaning all of your hardware with a wire wheel or are you using some other process like ultrasonic?

Are those nuts locking or using a cotter pin? If they're locking you might consider peening the top of them to tighten them up after chasing them with a tap

Back