• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

12/20/09 Seat belts,who uses them?

12/20/09 Seat belts. Do you use them?

• Yes

Votes: 77 72.6%
  • No

Votes: 13 12.3%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 15 14.2%
  • My truck is so old they did not come with them.

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
The safety checks here are for all vehicles. They are mostly looking for DUI candidates. I do not care what the excuse is, I see no viable reason to stop every vehicle and check it. If you have reason to suspect a vehicle and thin maybe it isn't safe, pull it over.

I wear my seat belts ALL the time. Too many years driving big rigs, busses, etc - I HAVE to stay in the driver's seat to have any hope of controlling that vehicle, and if that vehicle gets out of control, people are dead.

That being said, I had an old chevy with only lap belts, and I just LOVED driving that thing around town; every cop in sight would run out and stop me, and then I'd get the opportunity to point at my crotch and say "I AM belted in. Blow me." :hihi:

re: Cops and safety checks - JR, I used to think the same as you, until I saw the stats on how many trucks are being pulled off the roads up here and why... the cheap friggin owners aren't doing their maintenance, and a lot of BIG vehicles are rolling around that shouldn't be sharing the same road as the rest of us. I have coffee with one of the Provincial guys who mans the local safety stop, out by the weigh scales, and it's scary what he tells us about the condition some of this rolling iron is in.

And the drivers don't care - they're just driving the rig from A to B, fixing it is somebody else's problem.

The safety checks here are for all vehicles. They are mostly looking for DUI candidates. I do not care what the excuse is, I see no viable reason to stop every vehicle and check it. If you have reason to suspect a vehicle and thin maybe it isn't safe, pull it over.

I wear my seat belts ALL the time. Too many years driving big rigs, busses, etc - I HAVE to stay in the driver's seat to have any hope of controlling that vehicle, and if that vehicle gets out of control, people are dead.

That being said, I had an old chevy with only lap belts, and I just LOVED driving that thing around town; every cop in sight would run out and stop me, and then I'd get the opportunity to point at my crotch and say "I AM belted in. Blow me." :hihi:

re: Cops and safety checks - JR, I used to think the same as you, until I saw the stats on how many trucks are being pulled off the roads up here and why... the cheap friggin owners aren't doing their maintenance, and a lot of BIG vehicles are rolling around that shouldn't be sharing the same road as the rest of us. I have coffee with one of the Provincial guys who mans the local safety stop, out by the weigh scales, and it's scary what he tells us about the condition some of this rolling iron is in.

And the drivers don't care - they're just driving the rig from A to B, fixing it is somebody else's problem.

I wear my belt, but don't like the law requiring it. When I was younger I got a ticket for no seatbelt, I took it off to get my licence from my wallet as cop walked up-poof went my $.

As far as unconstitutional check points, this is how I tend to deal with them (not me in video-just an example)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLKUKG57UHU

DUI checkpoints are illegal here in Texas. I am sure a bunch of judges, congressman, and corrupt lawyers got busted at one or two and made them illegal. :rolleyes5:

As they start the Vehicle Code books, "Driving is a privilege, not a right".

Probable cause to stop a vehicle can be very subjective. Personal experience of some people aside, all statistics and records agree that Safety belts are MUCH more effective at preventing death and injury than the unbelted approach.

Worst case scenario, what race vehicle has no safety restraints, and what race driver would not use them? I raced 1/4 mile, road courses, and the OLD Baja 1000. Only when I raced Motorcycles were there no restraints, but I had on the best protection available at the time.

I've logged millions of miles and had a few accidents in cars and pickups, all caused by distracted drivers. 18 wheelers OTR coast to coast; No accidents or tickets. Motorcycles are an exception and a whole other thread can go there. I did go down a few times on bikes.

I am a strong believer in the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. Most of our governments activities are not authorized or are out of their jurisdiction, traffic control is no exception.

If a foreign power invaded North America (USA and Ca.), and killed as many people as die in traffic accidents in 1 year, we would retaliate and crush them. Same with cigarettes, but that's another thread. I know I stepped on some toes, kicked some sacred cows, offended somebody.

Amendment I Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Rant over.
:incazzato:

Back