• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

12/20/09 Seat belts,who uses them?

12/20/09 Seat belts. Do you use them?

• Yes

Votes: 77 72.6%
  • No

Votes: 13 12.3%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 15 14.2%
  • My truck is so old they did not come with them.

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
I vote no, I know, I know if I roll over I am dead yeah yeah yeah I know. I use it on the interstate for long trips but never around town. I dont like the law, its big brother telling me what to do. Im not hurting anyone but myself. If I get in a crash dont revive me or send an ambulance. We should also have a law saying you cant be over weight, you must get a flu shot, and turn your cell phone off when pumping gas.
Everyone has there opinion on this, and that is mine. flame on, but hopefully no one hates me for it as I mean no harm :eek:

Its the law in every state. It may not be a primary offense, like reason enough (alone) to get stopped for but its one of those federally mandated things that came out.

I wear mine all the time.

I wear mine at work 99.9% of the time. I'm surrounded by guys who dont.

I always wear mine. I'd get very angry paying the $250 fine and marks on my drivers license if I chose not to. I'ts kinda a no brainer when I jump in a vehicle, you get used to it.

I wear mine all the time. Use to not do so when I was younger, back in high school, but especially since I have had my kids, I wear mine all the time.

Only time I don't wear one is on washboard mountain roads. Damn thing will ratchet you down until you can't breath. Soon as I hit pavement it's back on.

I always wear mine, and my passengars wear theirs too or they can walk. I've been in two accidents in my life and the only reason I am here now is because of a seatbelt.

I always wear mine, and my passengars wear theirs too or they can walk. I've been in two accidents in my life and the only reason I am here now is because of a seatbelt.
Same with me. If you don't buckle up in my vehicle, you walk,

I have been using seatbelts since I got my first car in high school. I had bought an old 1959 VW and it didn't have any seatbelts.

One day, I was driving my girlfriend home. She was in the passenger seat holding her school books when some animal jumped out in front of the car and I had to slam on the brakes. Since she was holding her books, she was not able to brace herself and she slammed her head against the windshield. The glass didn't break, but she ended up with a huge bump on her forehead and a huge headache and neck pain for a few days. The next day, went and bought two sets of seatbelts and installed them. So I have been wearing seatbelts since BEFORE they had any laws mandating their use.

That Christmas, I also gave my dad a set of seatbelts and I installed them in his old 1962 Buick. Unbeknown to me, that same seat belt I had installed in my dad's car saved my life several years later when I was T-Boned in a horrible highway accident while I was driving the old Buick.

I was also involved in another accident only three blocks from my house, where the seatbelt again saved my life.

A year later, I witnessed a kid who went to school with my little brother get killed, when he hit a tree one night after their high school graduation party. He hit the tree hard enough that the impact caused both the driver and front passenger to fly through the windshield and landed in front of the car. The driver had the misfortune of landing where the car subsequently landed crushing his head. Looking at that car afterwards, if they had been wearing their seatbelts, they would have both walked away with minor cuts and bruises, because there were absolutely NOT intrusions whatsoever into the passenger compartment.

I have also witnessed several barrier and head-on crash tests when I was working at the GM proving ground and after watching the high speed movies of the crashes I became convinced that there is no way a person can brace himself and not be severely injured or killed if he is not belted during a 30 mph head-on collision.

Yeah, yeah, some people will tell me that they know someone who was in an accident while not wearing their seatbelt and they walked away from the crash. All I can say is that they were extremely lucky. My brother was a firefighter and EMT for many years and he scraped too many people from the roadway who had been thrown out of the vehicle during an accident and got killed when they hit the ground or got run over by their car or another car.

I have worn seatbelts for so many years now, that I feel naked if I don't buckle up. It's a subconscious habit for me now and I actually buckle up without even thinking about it. I have to make a conscious decision NOT to buckle-up if I have to move the car or truck around in my driveway.

I always wear seat belts, always have! I don't allow any human projectiles to ride with me either. Tools, hitch bars, heavy stuff like that don't get to ride with me in the cabin either.

However, I don't believe seat belts or helmets should be required by law.

Only time I don't wear one is on washboard mountain roads. Damn thing will ratchet you down until you can't breath. Soon as I hit pavement it's back on.
I bet you pull the seatbelt all the way out while you are buckling up.

Modern seatbelts have a comfort feature that allows the belt to move with you while you move around with the belt on. If there is an instance of sudden deceleration, the reel mechanism will lock up. However, pulling the belt all the way out will defeat the comfort feature in the shoulder belt reel. This is done so that you can tighten the seatbelt around a child safety seat and hold it in place. This will keep the belt tight until you open the door. I know, you would never put a child safety seat on the driver's seat, but as a cost saving measure, car companies often use the same reel mechanism for all seatbelts.

If you only pull the seatbelt part of the way out while you are buckling up, the comfort feature will work just fine and the belt should not ratchet on you when no sudden deceleration takes place and if it does, it should unlock by itself. Pulling the belt all the way out defeats this comfort feature and you have to open the door and or let the belt fully retract before it will release.

Its the law in every state. It may not be a primary offense, like reason enough (alone) to get stopped for but its one of those federally mandated things that came out.

I wear mine all the time.

I wear mine at work 99.9% of the time. I'm surrounded by guys who dont.

We have a seat belt law in Georgia but there is an exemption for trucks. If you want to get technical you could even fight a seat belt violation ticket, if you are in an SUV as long as it's an SUV that is built on a truck platform and listed as a truck on your vehicle registration.

When the seat belt law was debated in the State house, several representatives wanted to exempt trucks because of farmers in rural area's. Most people in the state don't know this.

Always. I've been in enough accidents (2) to know that it's more than likely going to save my life, not end it.

I bet you pull the seatbelt all the way out while you are buckling up.

Modern seatbelts have a comfort feature that allows the belt to move with you while you move around with the belt on. If there is an instance of sudden deceleration, the reel mechanism will lock up. However, pulling the belt all the way out will defeat the comfort feature in the shoulder belt reel. This is done so that you can tighten the seatbelt around a child safety seat and hold it in place. This will keep the belt tight until you open the door. I know, you would never put a child safety seat on the driver's seat, but as a cost saving measure, car companies often use the same reel mechanism for all seatbelts.

If you only pull the seatbelt part of the way out while you are buckling up, the comfort feature will work just fine and the belt should not ratchet on you when no sudden deceleration takes place and if it does, it should unlock by itself. Pulling the belt all the way out defeats this comfort feature and you have to open the door and or let the belt fully retract before it will release.

Nope, I don't. I'm well aware of that feature since I have two kids still in carseats. The vibrations caused by washboards and potholes on these mountain roads makes the seatbelt think it needs to lock up. It's really bad when going downhill. To "unlock" it I lean back into my seat to release the tension. Problem is then it re-locks when you hit the next bump so then I have to lean back further. Doesn't take too much and I've pushed myself so far into the seat I can't move.

All this typically is happening around 10 mph. Any faster and I'd probably knock a tire off.

Back