• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

12/20/09 Seat belts,who uses them?

12/20/09 Seat belts. Do you use them?

• Yes

Votes: 77 72.6%
  • No

Votes: 13 12.3%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 15 14.2%
  • My truck is so old they did not come with them.

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
I hate the contraptions but hang it over my shoulder only around town to fool them rotten ticket breeders(cops).
I feel a seatbelt wont save you if your luck runs out and your number is up.

Yep, always the way I felt. In CT they will give you a ticket for no seat belt($$$) but you can ride a motorcycle with no helmut. That makes alot of sense Yaaa...

Glad to see so many people here are happy about making other people clean up the mess they leave. I had a nice call the other day. 15 y/o boy, ejected and killed... if he had been contained in the vehicle he would have survived.

if you don't care about yourself, then care about the people that will have to clean up the mess you leave if you don't wear it.

That's your choice. Your choice of profession or a volunteer choice. No one is mandating that you have to clean up anything.

All I'm saying is that it is not the Government's job to protect me from myself. Don't tell me that I have to wear a seat belt or a motorcycle helmet. If I choose not to then I suffer the consequences of my actions.

Seat belts are great, my kids never go anywhere without one. I make that decision for them and it's not because the government says I have to. Don't tell me what is best for me. Last time I checked, I could make reasonable decisions for myself.

There are some who will jump at the chance to let you know they can give you a present, But it all boils down how do you respond when you are pulled over....not saying it will get you out of a ticket but it might help prevent you from getting several during the same traffic stop.....

There are some who will jump at the chance to let you know they can give you a present, But it all boils down how do you respond when you are pulled over....not saying it will get you out of a ticket but it might help prevent you from getting several during the same traffic stop.....
I had only 3 traffic violations in my life,1 cam speeding,1 wrong turn.1 seatbelt
Been stopped plenty,but I could most times talk myself out of a situation,i know when to back off.I just don't like their arrogant attitude and their lack of sense of humor on or off duty.

I just don't like their arrogant attitude and their lack of sense of humor on or off duty.

You must live in a small town where everyone knows everyone. I say that because that's about the most stereotypical generalization I've ever heard. You must know all 500,000 sworn law enforcement officers currently working in North America.

You must live in a small town where everyone knows everyone. I say that because that's about the most stereotypical generalization I've ever heard. You must know all 500,000 sworn law enforcement officers currently working in North America.
I'm sure there's good ones out there,but they must relocate all the pricks to my neck off the woods to do penance for a while cause they come and go every so often.
Only the real A holes must've gotten a life term here.

I'm sure there's good ones out there,but they must relocate all the pricks to my neck off the woods to do penance for a while cause they come and go every so often.
Only the real A holes must've gotten a life term here.

:iagree: But we get them when older and are getting senile, forget why they stopped you by the time they get too your window (twice, PITA) like I'm going to admit anything.

My truck is so old, it did not come with them, the '65 C-10 daily driver. The only vote.

Back then it was thought that being ejected from the vehicle was the best chance for survival. I can land on my head and never get hurt, but TODAY you will get RUN OVER by a BEHEMOTH 3 TON SUV WITH A PREOCCUPIED THUMB TEXT TYPING SLACKJAW behind the wheel. This now poses a problem.

There now, I feel better.

It's like everything in life, there are exceptions. One of my syster's would be dead if she were wearing a seat belt 40 yrs ago.

I always wear it, every single time. I was an EMT in NYC for 14 years. I've seen the results of not wearing them enough times.

I got hit in 88 and rolled an S10, ended up with the drivers sunvisor resting on the steering wheel, crawled out of the back window and walked away from it. Were it no for the seatbelt I would either be dead or typing this with a straw in my mouth. Professionally I have seen many people walk away from some pretty bad wrecks because they were wearing their seat belt and have seen many with serious injuries because they didnt. I dont like being told what to do though and I dont preach about it, its just the choice I make. If you choose not to wear one I believe you still have the right to do the wrong thing, I also dont like helmet laws but I dont ride so that ones not my fight. Personal choice is my favorite way to handle it.

I've seen both people killed wearing and people that would have been saved had they been wearing. Not so long ago a friend was killed when his seat belt broke and he was ejected.

i WEAR MINE 99% OF THE TIME. i DO NOT LIKE the law though. I find it to intrusive and Big Brotherish. But not quite as bad a the Nazi safety checks. Had a cop chase me down 2 miles after I drove through a safety check years ago. He said "Didn't you see me wave?" I said "Ya, Didn't you see me wave back?"

He asked why I didn't stop. I told him I didn't know I was supposed to. I thought there was an accident or something and drove through very carefully, wondering why so many people were pulled over. They didn't have a sign or anything stating there was a safety check going on and everybody had to stop. How was I to know?
I told him I had heard of safety checks and that they were a little too Gestapo for my tastes.

Am I supposed to stop every time somebody waves at me?

T o weigh in on the cop issues. It seems to me that most of the problem is that the older cops have sense are good guys in general and the young cops are for the most parts idiots with attitudes. Kind of mirrors the rest of the population.

Seems they said the same thing when we were kids.

Though I do think the lack of concentration on teaching the Constitution in our schools and the excessive amount of laws that have been passed contributes to problems. When you have legislators passing unconstitutional laws and idiot judges upholding those laws it makes society tough to begin with. I'll sight safety checks as a first example of an unconstitutional detainment for no reason other than to check you.

I wear my seat belts ALL the time. Too many years driving big rigs, busses, etc - I HAVE to stay in the driver's seat to have any hope of controlling that vehicle, and if that vehicle gets out of control, people are dead.

That being said, I had an old chevy with only lap belts, and I just LOVED driving that thing around town; every cop in sight would run out and stop me, and then I'd get the opportunity to point at my crotch and say "I AM belted in. Blow me." :hihi:

re: Cops and safety checks - JR, I used to think the same as you, until I saw the stats on how many trucks are being pulled off the roads up here and why... the cheap friggin owners aren't doing their maintenance, and a lot of BIG vehicles are rolling around that shouldn't be sharing the same road as the rest of us. I have coffee with one of the Provincial guys who mans the local safety stop, out by the weigh scales, and it's scary what he tells us about the condition some of this rolling iron is in.

And the drivers don't care - they're just driving the rig from A to B, fixing it is somebody else's problem.

Back