• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

04' LB7 transplant complete and now the rebuild begins: Updated build thread

Those connecting rods do look very STOUT! Take some good photos while you have everything apart! Good luck with the rebuild process Paul.

Well the pistons came back from Swain Tech Coatings...

and to my surprise they looked great...all perfect except for this one...

I have sent the picture on to them and will be calling them shortly...:mad2:

attachment.php

Sawintech.jpg

Hopefully they will take care of it for you Paul. They should have caught it prior to sending it back to you. It does look cool though. :thumbsup:

Well after speaking with a few experts on both coatings and engine building along with SwainTech...

We are going to use the piston as it sits...the coating is not the problem and the indentati0ons are not handling damage...the media blasting uncovered some minor casting flaws in the the piston and the coating just followed the contours of the actual flaws once revealed...

the only issue I really have with SwainTech is that when trhe flaws were uncovered that they did not stop the process and call to see how I'd like to proceed with this, whether it be to send them another piston or whatever...the least they could have done was notify me that they uncovered something...bad on them IMO

but after talking with a few guys my mind was put at ease ...the coating protects and supposedly makes them a stronger unit...the abuse I put this engine through racing, towing and the like and it actually took media blasting the piston out of the engine to reveal the inherent flaw, so I/we think it is still plenty strong...

Here are some more pics of what the dome of one looks like without any flaws..and a side view of the PC-9 coating on the skirt...

swaintech2.jpg

swaintech3.jpg

well I'm heading to Steve's early tomorrow a.m. to get started on the build...I'll try to post up some pictures when I can and post them as time allows...

picked up the short block on the way to Steve's...the heads came Thursday evening after 5 pm(had we got the heads and other things on Monday, Tuesday or soonerwe could have had the long-block built by Wednesday orThursday and ready to go in on Friday...) He goes to bed at 7pm so we got everything unpacked and ready to lap the valves in and assemble the heads on Friday got that all buttoned up and got some other parts cleaned up for assembly but we just ran out of time...we could have finished the long block by the end of today, but it made no sense to do so, because we'd only have Sunday to do the swap...last time it took 2 full 14 hour days to do that and that would have left me without a truck to work with for this week, so I'll have to wait until Steve knows for sure when he'll have a Saturday off since he starts work again on Monday...Things just got mucked up logistics wise...

we'll get it done eventually...it's taken three years to get this far...it can wait a little longer unless the truck gives up before then...still getting the occasional hard to start/wont turn over scenario and the injectors are hazing pretty bad...I'm crossing my fingers it will stay together...

Well...I had some parts delays at a time that prevented me from doing the swap when Steve had a week off to help me...so with him working occasional weekends I've only had his help after he gets home from work at 3pm until around 6pm when he goes to to bed on my days off...so progress has been slow...but we have made some progress and the engine is about ready to be dropped in...I thought I would be able to photo document this build...but Steves time and help to get my truck back on the road was more important and I already feel bad about how much time I have taken from his personal life with his helping me... as true a friend as I have ever had...Thanks Bud...

Here is the lone picture I have...but I will try to get a few more...

IMAG0267.jpg

Last edited:
Nice twins! Those headers gonna get a bit tight?

not headers really...it's just Rick Lance/ProFab cast flows and up-pipes

not twins...a bigger single though...

Looks good Paul! :thumbsup:

Thanks Jeff

I thought you were going with a single turbo? Air ought not be a problem with that set-up.
You are correct... it is just a single...HTT 66 some have compared it to the BD supermax but BD recommends a max of 40psi boost...I just got off the phone with HTT and they say 55psi is about where this one starts losing efficiency and creates unnecessary heat

I see, it looks like twins in your pics because you have the 01 intake elbow sticking up. I know that only 01 has that, and in your picture it looks like a 2nd turbo on the far side of the engine.

Looks good Paul. :)

How does a heavily modded truck do as a daily driver? Asking because I've never been in anything that had more than a handheld tune loaded. Is it really squirrely to where you have to idle away from every stop, or can it be tuned to drive normally? There's no pucker factor taking off from lights on wet streets or anything, right?

Looks good Paul. :)

How does a heavily modded truck do as a daily driver? Asking because I've never been in anything that had more than a handheld tune loaded. Is it really squirrely to where you have to idle away from every stop, or can it be tuned to drive normally? There's no pucker factor taking off from lights on wet streets or anything, right?

It's all in the tuning, and with a DSP5 it is pretty easy to do. Hopefully I can set it up for him to drive semi decent. I know the tune I started with is from a friend with an almost identical set-up, and he uses his as his daily driver, and work truck towing.

Back