• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

04' LB7 transplant complete and now the rebuild begins: Updated build thread

Pepperidge

Member Advocate
Reaction score
Just a heads up...

We started the engine swap Wednesday at 9am and started her up at around 9:30 Thursday night...

the new one runs smooth with great inj. balance rates and no coolant pressurization...

Just wanted to say thanks to Steve (DuraRation) for all the help he gave me...:thumbsup:

we will be tearing down the old one for inspection in a couple of weeks, working on it every other weekend or so off and on...no huge hurry to do so other than curiosity of what failed...(suspected Cam pin issue)

The engine will then become a build up project over the next year or so with some internal improvements to be announced as finances allow...;)

Last edited:
Glad you are up and running.:thumbsup:

Finances it's always those damn finance's, I have that problem as well.):h

My finances are such that if it cost a quarter to crap I will just have to throw up to save up.

Glad to hear you running again though

Wooo-hooo, good to hear.:thumbsup: Your truck is back on the road and TJ is getting his injectors done this weekend.

It was fun

It went great with Paul's 01 engine to 04 engine swap. He had the ideas of how to do it and I had the equipment to do it. The truck lift made it a breeze in the way we did it, it made it easier than any other way that I have done it before. It went back together as well as it came apart and that was unusual for it to happen that way.

Well, its a 10,000lb auto lift so you can figure that lifting his truck to a height to walk under it, is a no brainer. So we lifted it to get to the transmission bolts and downpipe of the exhaust. Then bought it down to a height of about three feet to remove the frontend parts to make the engine bay more excessable. We left the fenders on for less work. But what was different about it was Paul had an Idea :scared: to remove the engine. I was looking up to see where I could hook a chain hoist to do it the usual way to remove an engine. And Paul said why don't we use the carlift arms? What ? Yeah, put the arms together and wrap a chain around them and bolt the chain ends to the engine! And lift it up and push the truck out from under it. Wow, thats a great idea. It worked great. When it came time to remove the engine from the carlift, I had an idea too. Put the engine on the floor with blocks and pick it up with my Tractor. Then pick up the 04 engine from Cullman,Al. and put on the carlift, to put in truck. It went together like it was meant to be. She was then cranked to life and it purrrrred like a newborn kitten. After we were satisfied with her running good, heres the best part, we went out driving. She was flogged well to see if she could handle it. He let me drive then! Oh Boy was it fun to drive. I've got to get me one of dem Suncoaster's!!!!!!!

I am sure glad to see it completed also. I know Pepps wife is glad too. She gets her ride back.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

and....now you have an engine to practice injector replacements on....oopps, did I say that out load:eek:

Pics were discussed but to fully document it, we would have spent an extra day...so we decided against it...

I have a cell phone pic from last time the motor was out if that would help...looked the same...grill radiator support etc. removed to pull the engine out the front...

I've seen the ol' girl apart twice now...it's not a pretty site...nor is that lighter feeling in the wallet :(

Back