• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My 2005 Yukon XL

Did further inspection of the front end as I have a large clunking that I have yet to diagnose. Looking closer this rig will need serious front end components:

-Drivers axle shaft (boot is ripped and detached from the clamp)
-Upper and lower control arm bushings (way shot and chunks hanging down)
-Ball joints (boots severely dry rotted but no play in any of them)
-Both soft break lines (small cracks in the outer sheath near the pivot point on the knuckle)
-Drivers bump stop (disintegrated)
-Calipers (bleed screws are ugly)

Worst part of the task will definitely be the lower CA's.

I tried to do a tap on the reply button but it came up the requested post could not be found. 🤷‍♂️😹😹😹
@DieselSlug
Get a tube of valve lapping compound. Smear a healthy dose inside of the head of that Torx bit bolt and a good smear on the torx bit socket.
With that then try one of those hand impact drivers that You strike with a hammer while holding it into a turn position.
See how that does.
Or You may not even need the impact driver with a healthy smear of valve lapping compound within the head of the bolt and on the business end of the socket.

Did further inspection of the front end as I have a large clunking that I have yet to diagnose...
I recall a bad alignment adjustment issue that had to be replaced on my 07 Tahoe that solved the clunking issue but don't remember specifically. I'll see if I still have paperwork.

I tried to do a tap on the reply button but it came up the requested post could not be found. 🤷‍♂️😹😹😹
@DieselSlug
Get a tube of valve lapping compound. Smear a healthy dose inside of the head of that Torx bit bolt and a good smear on the torx bit socket.
With that then try one of those hand impact drivers that You strike with a hammer while holding it into a turn position.
See how that does.
Or You may not even need the impact driver with a healthy smear of valve lapping compound within the head of the bolt and on the business end of the socket.
I tried my DeWalt impact with the non impact style torx bit (was scared of an explosion but still tried). It did stay planted in the bolt but my impact didnt have enough even with the larger battery. I have seen those manual impact ones, never used one before!

I recall a bad alignment adjustment issue that had to be replaced on my 07 Tahoe that solved the clunking issue but don't remember specifically. I'll see if I still have paperwork.

I did get 2 alignments done on the rig so far (in an attempt to help me diagnose the clunk) and both different shops said the front end was nice and tight! To be honest I suspect the a-arms because the look horrible. I can get a pry bar in there and slide the arm back and forth in the pocket a bit but cant make it clunk like when driving. I have checked body mounts, sway bars, torsion bar mounts, trans mounts, u-joints, front diff mounts (its definitely in the front end I believe drivers side). Only other thing I haven't checked is motor mounts

It mostly does it when the there is body roll or goosing it off a start at a light. It has to be initiated by some feedback in the Yukon and not like just hitting a bump in the road.

Those hammer type impact driver are a mighty nice tool to have! had gotten me out of all kinds of pickles in the past! get you one from Harbor Freight. they work well and the cheap ones hold up for me since they don't get used too often!

Make You a nice drift punch from a piece of cold roll steel rod.
Be sure that the rod is larger than the diameter of that torx bolt head.
Also be sure that there is no other components that will get in the way of that drift punch.
Place that drift punch firmly to the head of that bolt. Using a larger size hammer, give that bolt several good cracks through Your new drift punch tool.
Then using some valve lapping compound in the bolt head, try removing the bolt using just the socket and a ratchet. If it then does not want to unwind, use a hand held propane torch and heat the bolt area of the mount carrier. Then give the bolt head a couple more good cracks and see what then happens.
Do not attempt to strike the bolt with just the hammer, that might cause the bolt head to distort and make it impossible to get the socket inserted into it. Be sure that Your punch is as close to being inline with the bolt as is possible.

Slapped a doe today at about 50MPH. Bumper is wasted, black bumper trim has tabs broken off, drivers parking light and headlight broke, drivers fender tweaked....

Doe was full bore across the road when I hit the brakes, tires screeching hitting her just over the center line in my lane.

All occupants ok, doe was dead before I could get back to her in the ditch. Eyes out for JY replacement parts.
20220612_192042.jpg

That ain't nothing! You should've seen my '95 Camry back in June of 2010 when just after midnight Father's Day, as I was leaving Omaha headed back to Lincoln on I-80, a yearling whitetail leaped out of the median and landed about 30' in front of me in the center lane and I hit it at about 80 mph! Caught its ass end square with the passenger side headlight, peeled the fender back over the wheel well so it was hanging out 90° to the side, folded up the hood about a foot with a perfect deer ass-print in the front of it, left a liquefied trail of deer shit and guts contents up the passenger side of the hood, windshield, roof and trunk. There was a good sized chunk of deer hanging off of where the marker/turn light had once been where the fender was sticking out, an about 4lb chunk of deer down in the bottom of the inner fender well behind the destroyed headlight bucket and the impact flexed the bumper cover so much that there were hundreds of hairline cracks in the clearcoat/surface with thousands of strands of deer hair caught in the cracks where they snapped back shut, so that my metalic Kelly Green bumper had a brown fuzz on the passenger side!

That ain't nothing! You should've seen my '95 Camry back in June of 2010 when just after midnight Father's Day, as I was leaving Omaha headed back to Lincoln on I-80, a yearling whitetail leaped out of the median and landed about 30' in front of me in the center lane and I hit it at about 80 mph! Caught its ass end square with the passenger side headlight, peeled the fender back over the wheel well so it was hanging out 90° to the side, folded up the hood about a foot with a perfect deer ass-print in the front of it, left a liquefied trail of deer shit and guts contents up the passenger side of the hood, windshield, roof and trunk. There was a good sized chunk of deer hanging off of where the marker/turn light had once been where the fender was sticking out, an about 4lb chunk of deer down in the bottom of the inner fender well behind the destroyed headlight bucket and the impact flexed the bumper cover so much that there were hundreds of hairline cracks in the clearcoat/surface with thousands of strands of deer hair caught in the cracks where they snapped back shut, so that my metalic Kelly Green bumper had a brown fuzz on the passenger side!
I had to tap that laughy face thing. On the serious side, i hope that You nor anyone else got hurt in this wreck.

I can tell of a 1978 Monza I once had.
Was headed to Lewistown going northwards out of Forsyth towards Ingomar.
That country is more like an arid desert than living here. Deer, antilopes by the hundreds and Jack Rabbit.
Anyone that has never seen a Jackrabbit would be amazed at the size of them things and how fast they can run.
Driving along about 80 and this Jackrabbit runs under the car. The car bounces and thumps and the progress of that rabbit under the car could be followed through the floor boards as it bumped, a loud whack, and bumped and rolled along.
The rabbit got spit out and was tumbling along on the blacktop highway and its head was totally gone.
Fast forward to tje next oil change. You guessed it. There was that stinking rotten head hung between a cross member and the floor boards. Not good. 😵‍💫😖🤧😹😹😹

I can tell of a 1978 Monza I once had.
Was headed to Lewistown going northwards out of Forsyth towards Ingomar.
That country is more like an arid desert than living here. Deer, antilopes by the hundreds and Jack Rabbit.
Anyone that has never seen a Jackrabbit would be amazed at the size of them things and how fast they can run.
Driving along about 80 and this Jackrabbit runs under the car. The car bounces and thumps and the progress of that rabbit under the car could be followed through the floor boards as it bumped, a loud whack, and bumped and rolled along.
The rabbit got spit out and was tumbling along on the blacktop highway and its head was totally gone.
Fast forward to tje next oil change. You guessed it. There was that stinking rotten head hung between a cross member and the floor boards. Not good. 😵‍💫😖🤧😹😹😹
Yeah, man, but it's those Jackalopes that ya really have to watch out for!

Yukon is still being used every couple of days. Went out for a family dinner and when we arrived home I heard a loud hissing. Turns out the valve stem was ancient.
20220623_052857.jpg
20220623_180524.jpg
20220623_180530.jpg

Decided to do some more work in the down time. New front calipers and pads. The bleeders looked super crusty when I last had the front tires off. Eventually I am sure I want them to work.
20220623_194000.jpg

Those horns is like can openers on a undercarriage of a vehicle. Rip the floorboards right out of a car or truck, and hope there is no feets in the way during the process.
Dont know how I missed this posting. 🤷‍♂️😹😹😹
Ahhh, but the jackalope milk is SO worth getting one of those critters for, @MrMarty51. Those City Boys can always just buy the canned Jackalope milk at places like Little America, WY if they can't rope one and milk it themselves!

Back