• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Help a Brother Out #2

@dieselolds yeah I've never seen that happen before..I replaced it but I'm real not impressed with these stp filters... I hate to say it but I think the one that got mutilated was a fram... I have an STP in it now but for some reason I'm thinking that they own each other...
This truck is really throwing me for a loop lately.. that's also the first time I've seen power steering fluid as black as oil

@dieselolds yeah I've never seen that happen before..I replaced it but I'm real not impressed with these stp filters... I hate to say it but I think the one that got mutilated was a fram... I have an STP in it now but for some reason I'm thinking that they own each other...
This truck is really throwing me for a loop lately.. that's also the first time I've seen power steering fluid as black as oil
You will get this all sorted out and then You will think, what a fantastic rig.
Your going to love it.

@Stoney the NAPA K47 air filters are like the wix one @WarWagon posted, metal on the inside too. I live on a dirt road so I go through a few a year and I tow heavy somewhat frequently, so keeping a clean one in there is a must.

Every spring and fall NAPA has a huge filter sale where all their gold filters are half off or more. I get 3-4 years worth of filters all at once and then have peace of mind for that time period. I've got to do a small buy this spring, and when the time comes I'd be happy to pick up a few for ya in the event you don't have a NAPA near you. Plus I have a Farm (sales tax exempt) account so it'll save ya a few bucks there as well ;)

Time for a power steering flush! there is a detailed thread here on how to flush it. only thing I would do different is like what I think Ak did by affixing a gallon jug to the neck on the PS pump essentially making the reservoir larger. run a hose from the return port on the HB into another jug plugging the hose that was there. idle steer, pump, fill, repeat. with fluid that dark I'd get two gallons of fresh fluid, just don't let the pump run dry.

I appreciate that.. didn't think of Napa...I thought guys on here had said not to get wix...or maybe that was for oil filters..I don't remember...me you and @Grisley1958 should get together sometime. Lol we all live pretty close if I remember right...wait speaking of which has anyone heard from him??

@dbrannon79 I'm gonna have to have y'all walk me through that but doesn't seem to hard... I'll grab ps fluid tomorrow. . I'm thinking I might need to change the hoses from the hb to the pump and gear box.. I know I changed to one of them at one time honestly don't remember why... One of the other ones looks like it's nothing more than a piece of fuel line with some hose clamps on it

That's been a eho different problem.. ra sent me the wrong master cylinder so had to return it. Got the new one now.. then my dumb self assumed I could go to parts store to get shoes and pads.. nope... I'm not sure why but AutoZone, advance Auto, etc etc around here can only get there store brands... They can't even order them... And it's not just brake pads. From what they told me at AutoZone a lot of the Delco parts that I have under warranty there they can't even exchange anymore unless I want duralast parts...not happening... Anybody got any idea why all these stores can only get their own brand parts now?.. ordering pads and shoes from ra tomorrow actually. Had to wait till pay day.. Christmas killed us. And with mom being sick been taking care of her alot instead of being home..

Here's the link to the PS flush.

not sure about the parts store's not being able to order Delco and such brands. if they are corporate stores that might explain it. I know the advance here is a privately owned store, they will out source other brands. I have actually had them go get parts from the GM dealer, they usually get a better discount with them then me going direct to the dealer! you might look into some of their house brands (not auto zone of course) but places like Napa and Oreilly's might actually be rebranding raybestos which are good to use.

I think I'm going to see how much my check is in the morning. Maybe can order brakes and hoses at once and save on shipping..would the bad fluid make the steering feel really loose... It almost feels like when you got a bad ball joint or tie rod end... But I checked them all and they're good as you all know I just replaced them a few months ago... And I just had an alignment done... Napa can probably get me the raybestos.. we do have a Delco dealer here but he's usually expensive as hell.. the calipers I got from RockAuto that y'all helped me out with he wanted $28 more a piece for..

but places like Napa and Oreilly's might actually be rebranding raybestos which are good to use.

Check the GM Dealer price for ACDelco brake pads and shoes if you need them ASAP. Otherwise you do want the box with Wagner or Raybestos on them. Not the made to the discount parts store spec by whoever and warranty time the maker low bidder may have changed. Spend the money on the expensive rear brake shoes because they stop in a shorter distance. RA really made me revise my $100 estimate last time I looked down to like $50

the steering feel really loose

Inspect the "rag joint" at the top of the steering box where the steering wheel shaft attaches. Aftermarket shown, but, the rubber gets sloppy. There is a plastic cover over it from the factory that hooks over a PS line to lock it down.

DSCN4163.JPG

Do not use anything but oil rated hose on the PS return lines.
I slapped a stick of better multi braid fuel hose onto the return side of the 88 Puick Century, that lasted about 8 months then sprung a leeeek.
It wont be a real big deal if the PS pump does run dry at an idle, just shut off the enjun and fill it back up. It’ll growl some for a while but it will come out of it.
Wifey come home one day and mentioned the steering on the Buick got hard to turn. I go out and check, bone dry so I fill it up, fire it up the I seen that lengths of hose was leeeeking. Asked her when the steering got hard to turn, oh last weeeek. Told Her she better take the toyodah, next thing I know, she is taking off in the Buick again. I thought, okay, screw it, new pump, if she burns it up, she can fix it. She drove it for three more days like that. Finally got the hose replaced with the proper stuff, filled the reservoir, pumped out the air and it all functions just fine. Guess there must have been enough oil floating around in the pump to keep from burning it up. I aint saying that it didnt damage the pump, it shore may have but it is functioning good enough for a rag tag old Buick.

WW is right on the rag joint, they are notorious for causing grief and looseness in the steering. next is the gear box pitman shaft side to side play. mine has been slowly getting sloppier over the last couple months. I have already replaced the idler arm twice, looked at it again and found up down side to side play in it again. as for the rag joint, I pulled one from a salvage yard, cut the rivets off and bolted a new rubber piece in there about a year ago. it also needs to be addressed once more. that rubber doesn't last long

I’ve bought a few denso air filters for the 97 up trucks with the K47 option from rockauto.They were pretty cheap in regard to price but the quality is right up there with WIX.I go to rockauto pretty much for everything unless I’m in a bind and need something immediately.

Back