• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

95 Chevy 1ton possible steering issues.

You will need a new fan clutch. It's 6 bolt fan 4 bolt water pump: 4 bolt fan 4 bolt water pump: 4 bolt fan thread on water pump.

Pictures and count the bolts holding the fans on the clutch.

It’s a 6 bolt fan on the clutch and clutch to water pump is 4 bolt

Make damn sure the can doesn't say anything about a leak sealer!!! Return it and DO NOT USE IT if it does! Open the system with a leak sealer and you throw away the entire system, evaporator, hoses, everything.
Don’t see anything on it to mention leak sealer. Here’s a photo

Attachments

• 53851F5F-E3CF-4E5E-A892-AC3968F980F4.jpeg
    53851F5F-E3CF-4E5E-A892-AC3968F980F4.jpeg
    127.6 KB · Views: 4
Good morning guys! I have a little good news on the steering pump noise. I haven't been able to get my hands on a flow meter yet, but, last week one if the guys in the shop had given me a pressure relief from another pump and said to try taking a couple shims from it and place them on the one in my pump. he said 1700 psi is a little much for that pump.

so I did just that, I pulled the relief out of my pump which had no shims and added two shims on it behind the nut on the relief. Reinstalled and all seems better. the pump is now pushing 1400 psi with the gauge deadheaded. for the past week now driving around it is quieter, still can hear a whine but not nearly as loud anymore :) when I reported what this had done to the guy that gave me the valve, he said the pump was just straining it's self. when I had replaced the hoses it opened it up allowing full flow (possible restriction in the old hoses). he said the remaining whine is most likely being caused by the accumulator in my HB that should go away after that is fixed.

when I drained the pump to pull the relief, I drained most all the fluid into a cup to check if there was any glitter or see if the color had changed. it all looked clean and light brownish tint like the new fluid was when I had flushed it, I was happy!!

while I was messing around with installing condenser fans, I attempted to relocate the cooler but couldn't find a decent location it would fit so I did the next best thing I could think of... I had a bag of several computer power supply fans laying around. I tested some that had a decent amount of air flow that were sized about the same width as the cooler, ended up wiring up three of them together and strapping them to the front of the PS cooler and connecting them to a power source switched by the key on. since then I haven't seen PS fluid temps over 120 when working the steering hard in the driveway!

adding the shims and lowering the pressure didn't make any noticeable change on how the steering or brake pedal felt I probably could have added a third shim, but it seems better for now. At least I feel better about not having a problem when we head out on out vacation trip in three weeks!

Adding the shims behind the nut actually loosened the tiny spring inside the valve since it prevented it from tightening down all the way.

Back