• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Used Engine

Regarding the main cracks i'm with the others high mileage blocks this is going to be par of the course. So I'll be intrigued to see how the next one tears down.

Regarding the cracks Robyn over on the page reports good results with this cold repair. Worth a thought seeing as your in this realm.

https://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=39448
https://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=32983&highlight=lock+stitch+inserts

Cheers
Nobby
Thanks nobby. A great write up by missy. given the location of the cracks I don't think Lock and stitch would work. I haven't seen any posts from Missy in years. Is she still around?

The stupid auto dismantler where I got my used engine from said that my warranty is invalid because I opened it up. All the receipt says is a 6 month warranty. It doesn't have any fine print or anything else saying what voids the warranty. I used my visa when I purchased it so hopefully they will accept the claim. A friend of mine who owns his repair shop had someone put in a false claim on him and it took 6 months to get his money. At the very least I'll make this guy jump through some hoops and lose some hair if I don't get my $ back.

The machine shop who does all the local diesel repair shops work in the area said they can fix it so I'm having them fix it. I am going to do a new crank as well since the one that came with the engine had a chip. Rockauto only has 1 type available. Is this a good one or should I go elsewhere?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2754358&cc=1161571&jsn=479

Last edited:
Looking for a new crank I heard the GEP crank is induction hardened. Does anyone know if the Scat crank is? and if I did want a GEP where would I look to get one?

Gep cranks are cast iron. I assume they're coated like the GM ones. Scat cranks are supposed to be cast steel. I'm not sure how much stronger that makes to them if any. I don't think they're coated

The GEP cranks are not nitride coated, they are induction hardened, wether optimizer or p400.
This is an advantage over the nitride GM cranks as it is stronger and you can cut an optimizer crankshaft without further treatment if needed.

Cast iron and cast steel which is better is a long unproven argument on both sides. Flip a coin really.

For strength of crankshaft (any part really) chryogenic treatment makes it much stronger. When I was doing the crazy 6.5s we had some cranks chryo’d and those cranks never failed. If I was rich n famous like y’all, I would do now what I used to do in the racing days- send every metal component in for chryo.

The best in dream $ land is all machine work first, full induction hardening, then chryo, then coatings.

The GEP cranks are not nitride coated, they are induction hardened, wether optimizer or p400.
This is an advantage over the nitride GM cranks as it is stronger and you can cut an optimizer crankshaft without further treatment if needed.

Cast iron and cast steel which is better is a long unproven argument on both sides. Flip a coin really.

For strength of crankshaft (any part really) chryogenic treatment makes it much stronger. When I was doing the crazy 6.5s we had some cranks chryo’d and those cranks never failed. If I was rich n famous like y’all, I would do now what I used to do in the racing days- send every metal component in for chryo.

The best in dream $ land is all machine work first, full induction hardening, then chryo, then coatings.

So If I understand you correctly from the names full induction hardening is heated? Chryo is cold treated? and coatings are ceramic. How do they do chryo (temp and how long?)

Once upon a time.Yeah, idk.
Mega cold a long time. I just paid the bill and got my stuff back. The place I used to use was drop it off one week and pick up the next. They don’t do it for the public anymore, just gubmint work. I need to find a new outfit.

I have a used crankshaft in the garage I could send your way. Frankly for the "iffy" repair of a main crack a new crank is wasted money. Cast iron is very difficult to successfully repair cracks in. A DSG girdle like Kennedy Diesel sells would help band aid the weak GM mains.

I have a used crankshaft in the garage I could send your way. Frankly for the "iffy" repair of a main crack a new crank is wasted money. Cast iron is very difficult to successfully repair cracks in. A DSG girdle like Kennedy Diesel sells would help band aid the weak GM mains.

The plan is to use the kennnedy girdle. If you have a good used crank I'll take it.

The plan is to use the kennnedy girdle. If you have a good used crank I'll take it.

Sorry I spoke too soon. @Will L. and I traded pictures of a 6.5 crank and checked out the rear main seal difference. I have a 6.2 and old one at that. (That will not work.) Old 6.2's have 2 piece rope rear main seal. Newer 6.2's and all 6.5's have the 1 piece rear main. See pics of what I have below. I suggest you call Ted's Trucks N Stuff as they sell parts and may have a used 6.5 crankshaft, cheap.

IMG_20190113_221525791.jpg

IMG_20190113_221518377.jpg

Sorry I spoke too soon. @Will L. and I traded pictures of a 6.5 crank and checked out the rear main seal difference. I have a 6.2 and old one at that. (That will not work.) Old 6.2's have 2 piece rope rear main seal. Newer 6.2's and all 6.5's have the 1 piece rear main. See pics of what I have below. I suggest you call Ted's Trucks N Stuff as they sell parts and may have a used 6.5 crankshaft, cheap.

View attachment 55402

View attachment 55401

Thanks! I'll call teds.

I just put in a claim with Visa on this. They wanted an amount so I told them $700 since to repair the block is $350 and $350 for a crank from Ted's trucks. We'll see how it goes.

Just got the block back from the machine shop. They fixed the crack by the plug but he said the crack on the main wasn't close enough to the bolt hole to cause problems so he didn't fix it. I'm thinking the girdle will help.

If it's your only choice... The main crack will continue to grow. I went from 2 cracks to 3 cracks and clear to the cylinder relief as the two cracks grew in under 40k miles. This was without re-torq of the main bolts as doing so adds new stress to the block. End of the day it didn't matter about leaving the main bolts alone as it continued to fail.

Mixed results on the girdle as I read some engines still failed with one. It's not a cure: it maybe buys time. Someone busted a crank with it and the block survived.

Sadly the machine shop just wasted your time and money by not fixing the main crack. I suggest inform Visa it's now not repairable and ask for a full refund.

Back