• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Project - Exhaust Renovation - Ceramic Coating by Twisted Steel Performance

JayTheCPA

Reaction score
Disclaimer: As the first TTS member to request service from Twisted Steel Performance, I was given the service and product for free providing that I do an evaluation. So with that in mind, here is the review.

The areas that I can definitely speak to are the process and communications. Both were excellent!

For a few years, I had bugged (now) Twisted Steel to do some ceramic coating. As soon as the business went 'official', he could not avoid me any more :)

This project goal was to creamic coat a down pipe with the expectation to push heat under the truck and not have it radiate along the firewall and block. During the discussion phase, Twisted Steel recommended to just go with an internal coating as opposed to my thought of coating both sides of the pipe. Reasoning was that (for the exterior) wraps were more effective at heat retention, so I decided to do the wrap on my end where Twisted Steel was good with that approach (and would have done the wrap had I wanted).

Pictures:
Naked Pipe

Naked Pipe 01.jpg
Naked Pipe 02.jpg

Prepped Pipe
Pipe-In-The-Oven.jpg

Pipe-In-The-Oven 02.jpg

Finished Pipe
Returned Pipe 01.jpg

Returned Pipe 02.jpg

Finished Pipe 01.jpg
Finished Pipe 02.jpg

Turn-around time was within the time-frame that was provided at the start of communications. Am not stating the exact dates as it does not really matter where they may change for different customers and workloads.

The quality of product looks good, and in fairness, I have nothing to measure against as I do not have any data from the old exhaust pipe. Even if I did have data from the existing pipe, the current exhaust is 3" with *no* heat retention treatment and I am replacing it with 4" that will have heat retention treatments, so it would not result in fair comparisons anyway.

I did notice that the pipe looked like it took a bump on the downstream / trailing edge and am not worried about it. That is what tools are for. In any event, this is the result of the shipper and *not* Twisted Steel as the shipper supplied the packaging and did the packaging on my end; Twisted Steel re-packaged according to how the shipper packed it.

When the time comes to put this downpipe in service, I will start a thread in the Project Central section. Toward the wrap, I am looking into a blanket which also has a second order benefit of sound reduction. I decided on the blanket after excellent inputs from Twisted Steel :)

Last edited:
Take a look at the paint around the downpipe esp the bend on the passinger floor pan. I browned the blue paint: on the inside under the carpet! This coating is a great idea for the rust belt where wrap just rusts things faster. I have been wrapping the downpipes for a long time.

2" minimum wrap around anything you ship. And that's only for insurance... If I can't screw it up shipping can!

@Twisted Steel Performance what does coating a downpipe cost us?

Do exhaust manifolds have to be new to be coated?

mannies should be new, used can't be cleaned enough to get the soot out of the iron.., same goes for down pipes they do best when new..
The cost depends on length, the 6.5 down pipes would be 150$ for the inside coating, and the outside starts @ 100$, their are several different outside products that can be used.

The ID coating shown in Jay's pipe is the same product used in head runners and Chrome pipes, it's used in chrome pipes to keep them from blueing. When used in runners it slows and almost stops exhaust gas heat soaking the head thereby helping with cooling.
This same product is used in drag race motors in several places, it keeps the heat IN and is oil shedding and aids in oil drain back. This is a slick, smooth, hard coating.

I wondered just how long it would take for somebody to look-up the part number. Now we know: 8 days :)

That is my next project. Would have started that renovation at least two years ago, but the Burb constantly got in the way. Actually, I sidelined that truck about 5 years ago, it is time to get it back on the road, and I am in parts gathering mode. Still see it as cheaper to rehab all the warts rather than finding a new(er) truck with power that will almost never get to the wheels. Bonus is that it was built with a ZF-6, so I do not have to convert the tranny :)

But . . . This is a thread about Twisted Steel's work. When the Rusto-Ferd goes into the shop, I will start a thread in the Project Central area.

When the time comes to put this downpipe in service, I will start a thread in the Project Central section. Toward the wrap, I am looking into a blanket which also has a second order benefit of sound reduction. I decided on the blanket after excellent inputs from Twisted Steel :)

Jay/Chris: Wondering if you could share your recommendation for exhaust heat/noise wrap. Sounds like it could be exactly what I'm looking for. (Couldn't find your project post on the site, sorry if I missed it.)

Jay/Chris: Wondering if you could share your recommendation for exhaust heat/noise wrap. Sounds like it could be exactly what I'm looking for. (Couldn't find your project post on the site, sorry if I missed it.)

Jay had a cover made for his down pipe as well for the under side of his motor I think, I use the "lava" header wrap with a thermal barrier on the ID of the pipe...

Chris is correct.

In addition to internal coating, I had the outside covered with Inconel which has nearly no sound control properties.

For sound, this motor is getting an acoustic blanket for the oil sump. I had considered acoustic blankets for the valve covers as well, but the space is too tight which makes for additional labor when something inside the valve covers (like injectors or glow plugs) need work. Besides, this motor does not make nearly as much noise as the 6.5 :)

Here is the project link: https://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/threads/project-rustoration.48646/ It is a slow moving one as there is a bunch of work to do and the shop is working with me as they see this as a fun side-job between all the normal money-maker trucks that need to get back on the road quickly.

Darn, too bad I didn't send over the three into two manifold piping off the 74 Triumph T-150 trident, them single wall motorcycle pipes always turns blue.
Too late now, the bike had been run before I bought it and been run some more since I got the clutch/transmission back together. I`m sure its suited up just fine by now. LOL

Back