• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Project Rustoration

JayTheCPA

Reaction score
After a multiyear detour with the Burb, am ready to focus on getting my primay vechicle back on the road. While the Burb side-tracked money for this truck, the Burb was helpful with crafting the truck's future. End game for this truck is to keep power about the same, move breating over to a 1:1 turbo system, fix all that rust, and correct some of the manufacturer's engineering.

This picture will give a good idea of work.001 Motor and Frame.jpg

Cab and bed are in surprisingly Ok shape where the rust is not so bad.

The question I have is who will first guess the truck and motor :) My money goes on Ferm, but lets see if anybody can beat him :D

Bonus question is who can first ID the tranny.

Here is a better view.

002 Cab High.jpg

Chris is closest, but should have DQ'd him seeing as he coated some of its parts.

F250, 7.3L, ZF6-S650. Did not realize it when I ordered the truck, but apparently the camper option beefed the suspension up to 1 ton.

And apologies as a second look at the first picture makes it hard to see the tranny. Although the Xfer is visible.

At the moment we are sorting through how to eat this elephant and are starting with the motor.

In a way, the delay in starting this project and letting the truck sit is actually a good thing as there are even better parts available now than 7 years ago when I parked it. Among the goodies is that it will get an electro-viscous fan clutch thanks to the excellent work of AK :) Another is that it will get a T-4 turbo system.

The way I see it is that a renovation will cost a lot less than a new truck, and I end up with something almost as easy to repair as the 6.5. Just a lot less noisy than the 6.5 :D

Yup, no IP, no timing chain, nor gear drive upgrade. Just electrically actuated injectors. And a lot more room to play with fueling (even though I probably won't (except to adjust for the T-4)).

Although, it does have a high pressure oil pump which drives the fuel injection cycle. It too will get some attention to make it more durable. Funny thing is that in the Ferd world, folks reference it as HPOP. In the CAT C-7 world which uses HEUI, they reference it as a HEUI pump. Both do the same thing.

Just stay away from the 6.0 Excursions.
Why? The 6.0l has actually proven itself to be pretty good lately(WAY better than a 6.4l). Yes, it's going to cost you a few grand to do the stuff FORD should have done to them from the get go, but after modding them most talk very highly of them.

Agree with Ferm. 6.0's got a bad reputation where scuttlebutt was that Ford did not listen to Navistar. Once hardened properly and adjusting the oil down to 5W/40, the 6.0 is known to regain status as a durable motor.

Rust looks to be from salt water immersion, my 99 F350 7.3 PS sustained the same rust pattern as seen in those images back in the day.

Rust looks to be from salt water immersion. . .

Close. Chemically enhanced brine. Did not learn about the extra chemistry sprayed on the roads until well after it started to eat the truck.

Had I known what the States were about to unleash on the public, would have had the frame treated when I got the truck.

I came across a product years ago used by the military DuraBak which is resistant to ozone UV and most impact damage my Burb is soon to have a few coats on its body then the chassis..

Will look into DuraBak. Resistance to UV gives it an edge over POR-15.

Currently evaluating shops to blast the frame and leaning toward an outfit that will either use hydro (glass beads) or baking soda. Bonus is that the outfit we are seriously considering will also paint after blasting with either their home-brew or whatever we want.

I came across a product years ago used by the military DuraBak which is resistant to ozone UV and most impact damage my Burb is soon to have a few coats on its body then the chassis..

I just looked Durabak up, it's a cool looking product. Nice that you can apply it textured or smooth. For smooth application they say you're supposed to rough the surface up with 100 grit....I wonder how smooth the finish ends up. Do you have any personal experience with it?

Will look into DuraBak. Resistance to UV gives it an edge over POR-15.

I bet it isn't as abrasion resistant as POR-15 though. The Durabak seems like a good coating for sheet metal (both outside and underside), but I wonder how it would do on frame and component surfaces? Sound absorption qualities is also a bonus for sheet metal.

Tough to tell whether Durabak or POR is the better product for abrasion based on the few articles I found. Highly likely that both are better than the OE product though :cool:

I did see a Tacoma article where Durabak 18 was used for bed liner. While it did take a small nick from a heavy load, the author realized that he did not apply the recommended minimum amount of product. After the thickness was corrected, there was no noted concern.

As to sound absorption, do not know how much effort I am going to put into this truck as it is WAY more quiet than a 6.5. And I have no plans to make it noisy ;)

Back