• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Isuzu 4BD2T diesel swap into Suburban

David thanks, those are kind of cool. Marty your saying the top comes off on those? I wonder if the top could be made to fit a short bed on a truck? The top half of the barn doors come off with the top?

David thanks, those are kind of cool. Marty your saying the top comes off on those? I wonder if the top could be made to fit a short bed on a truck? The top half of the barn doors come off with the top?
i don't think the tops are removable. look at the lines, same as the burb, bottom of the rear side window runs along the side of the body contour, but on a truck bed, the part above the line is higher at the top.

The one in the wrecking yard did not have a top, that is what attracted me to it, then I saw the barn doors.

The one in the wrecking yard did not have a top, that is what attracted me to it, then I saw the barn doors.
you need to go back and get pics because it might have been one of those top secret military versions that were not available to the public that somehow slipped through the cracks.

Update:

250 miles on the swap. I have done nothing except drive it (no mods/tweeking)
This is the first MPG report and will be more accurate as I get more miles on it.
The #s say I got 21.8 MPG!!
This has been all city driving, alot of ideling and reving up, alot of heavy to full throttle runs too.
Mileage I expect to go up espescialy on highway MPGs. The engine has 250K miles and I have no idea of injector condition.
The engine is very quite. The biggest drawback is it vibrates in gear at a stop. Need to lower idle alittle.
Turbo has not been ajusted, waiting to install boost gauge & pyro. But when I can set that up Im hopeing for even more MPGs.

Leroy

Looks like you got me beat as I have only squeeked out right at 20 doing all around town stop and go. I think that ISUZU is a REALLY good match to a BURB. Plenty of power to pull whatever the BURB can handle, reasoneable power output to move it down teh road, and being it's a 4 banger ISUZU it will get good milage and has a good rep for reliability.

Thanks guys. I am really liking it alot, but I am obviously biased now. The truck allready pulls harder than it did before the swap. I'll be happy with it like it is (yea right). Main thing I need to do is set up the second table on the OptiShift for a towing/performance mode and start setting up the turbo for more boost. I need guages first.
I also need to start rounding up the engine rebuild parts so I can rebuild the spare engine. One thing that is cool about these engines is that the cylinders a removeable sleeves. You can R&R them in your garage. That means no machine shop needed to bore the block and if a cylinder is damaged to a point the you would normaly have to trash the block you won't have to with a 4bd2. Just resleeve it! & new pistons. As long as crank and other hard parts are good theres no need for a machine shop. Yay Isuzu!!

I know what you mean. I have a 2010 Titan CCSB that really needs a diesel. It gets around 13.5 mpg. Im going to sell it before I do something stupid.

Well I would put the Nissan diesel in it. Maybe that would keep the warranty intact? Not.

Thanks for going to all the work for us! It makes the swap easier and quicker. By the way, sounds like my chevette diesel did...isuzu power!

Back